Old 25-09-2003, 06:02 PM
Frank Logullo

Default OT- Generators

Isabel did a number on me with 4 days loss of power and no water due to
well.
My plans are to wait a week and visit Home Depot and get them to hook me up
(buy generator and installation).
Wonder if anyone has comments? I thought of this ng because last week I
took in my lawnboy for repair and they were swamped with generator and sump
pump repairs. I've heard Honda is reliable and quiet but expensive.
Frank

Old 25-09-2003, 07:32 PM
Frankhartx

Isabel did a number on me with 4 days loss of power and no water due to
well.
My plans are to wait a week and visit Home Depot and get them to hook me up
(buy generator and installation).
Wonder if anyone has comments? I thought of this ng because last week I
took in my lawnboy for repair and they were swamped with generator and sump
pump repairs. I've heard Honda is reliable and quiet but expensive.
Frank

First do an energy acessment to see just what size generator you need or rather
can get by with. Consider how functions can be interchanged--you do not really
have to have your well pump hooked up all the time-power could be diverted to
the refrigerator while the pump is idle--get a flexible hook up which allows
you to plug in and plug out appliances. Get an extended run generator with a
large tank and keep enough gas on hand to cover several days. Get Stabil
additivefor the gas since it may be stored a long time.

Old 25-09-2003, 08:22 PM
Louis Ohland

Perhaps a monthly or quarterly generator run to confirm it's ststus?

--
Reply to me at louis little punctuation mark ohland with the same ISP
Old 25-09-2003, 08:22 PM
Dwight Sipler

Louis Ohland wrote:

Perhaps a monthly or quarterly generator run to confirm it's ststus?

All good comments.

However, waiting a week is not likely to be long enough. Once all the
generators are snapped up in an area it's likely to be a couple of
months before you can find what you want. This should be considered a
long term plan so don't rush into it and just buy the first thing that's
available.
Old 25-09-2003, 10:44 PM
Vox Humana

"Dwight Sipler" wrote in message
Louis Ohland wrote:

Perhaps a monthly or quarterly generator run to confirm it's ststus?

All good comments.

However, waiting a week is not likely to be long enough. Once all the
generators are snapped up in an area it's likely to be a couple of
months before you can find what you want. This should be considered a
long term plan so don't rush into it and just buy the first thing that's
available.

HD in my area is featuring a high end generator that runs on natural gas.
The unit can be set to fire up on a regular schedule and has
self-diagnostics. I think that if I were in an area that had frequent
outages or the potential for a prolonged outage I would consider one of
these. I can't remember a time that we lost natural gas service.

Old 25-09-2003, 11:42 PM
Roy

IMHO, if your gonna spend the $$$ for HD to install a generator, and
assuming your going with a transfer switch, and not fooling around
with extension cords etc, I wuld seriously look at getting a gen set
that runs on either natural gas or propane. Propane would be my
first choice, over natural gas as the same gen will roduce more power
as its derated as much as it would be with natural gas. Propane is
also derated as compared to gasoline, but the difference is small, and
worth the derated amount in what you save in keeping cans of gas
around, and having to treat the gas with a stabilizer etc. The fuel
stabilizers sold in HD etc and Wal MArt will only keep gas useable and
fresh for 2 or 3 months at most. If you want long term storage a
product such as Seafoam or PRI-G will keep it fresh and useable for
years. Hondas are notorious for being problematic if the gas gets
stale and varnish builds up, so maintaining fresh gas in the HOnda is
#1 priority. Briggs & Stratton are a bit more forgiving, but fresh gas
is always a plus no matter what motor you have. Make sure the
generator set has auto shut down if oil level is low, and also auto
idle feature. Auto idle will let the engine idle down slower if the
load is not high, thus it saves fuel and usually results in longer run
times.

You may be in for sticker shock if you intend to run the entire house
and have all convieniences. I only worry about running my well pump,
hot water heater, and lights and freezers / fridges and microwave. I
can't run both the well pump and hot water heater at the same time,
but its not a problem. I can genrally run one 220 volt device and all
the 110 volt items in the house at the same time, so it alalowed me to
go with a smaller unit. If you have electric heat it may be more tha
you figured. If you have gas heat, gas furnaces do not usually draw a
lot of current. Have a electrican figure it out for you, not some
clerk at home depot.

With NG or propane you will not have this problem, and your time
between oil changes will also increase as it has nbo hydrocarbons
getting by the piston rings to contaminate the oil and make it black.
NG or LPG is best for long term permanent generator setups if you can
afford it. HOnda is quieter tha most. A 30# or 100# bottle of propane
will be there when you need it, as compared to a stale can of gas
that you happened to use for the lawn mower last week and failed to
refill. NG while its usually a good deal, is not as universal as LP
is, especially if they have problems at the distribution center and
have to shut the gas supply down, but its certainly better than
gasoline is. Only real drawback is its considered a permanent
installation when hooked to NG as compared to LPG or gasoline.

A Gen set neeeds to be exercised periodically. I run my 2 generators
once a month with a load, until they reach operating temperature, to
drive off any accumulated moisture, then top it off with fresh treated
gas. Nothing worse than a generator that refuses to run or start when
you need it. Why do you think these small engine repair places are
swamped with repairs now. Becasue all those folks had the foresight
to buy a generator, but not to maintain it properly, so they may as
well have not had one to begin with, as it certainly is not doing them
any good is it. Till they get it back the power will more than likely
be on. Sad thing is they will neglect it again, as it usually proves
to be too much hassle to run an engine once a month and do what should
be done, and they will again be in the same situation again.

On Thu, 25 Sep 2003 16:52:30 GMT, "Frank Logullo"
wrote:

x-Isabel did a number on me with 4 days loss of power and no water due to
x-well.
x-My plans are to wait a week and visit Home Depot and get them to hook me up
x-(buy generator and installation).
x-Wonder if anyone has comments? I thought of this ng because last week I
x-took in my lawnboy for repair and they were swamped with generator and sump
x-pump repairs. I've heard Honda is reliable and quiet but expensive.
x-Frank
x-

--
Visit my website: Remove nospam for correct address
http://www.nospamfrugalmachinist.com

Contents: foundry and general metal working and lots of related projects.
Regards
Roy aka Chipmaker // Foxeye
Opinions are strictly those of my wife....I have had no input whatsoever.
Remove nospam from email address
Old 25-09-2003, 11:42 PM
David Hill

As one who went for over 8 years with only a generator for electric,
together with tank Gas(Propane I think) used for lighting heating and
cooking.
The price of Petrol (as we call what you call gas) got just to much when the
price got to over 85 pence($1.4) per litre.
What ever make you get make sure that you can get it serviced/repaired
locally and fast, no waiting for parts to come from some place the other
side of the world.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 26-09-2003, 07:23 AM
Betsy

Not necessarily. If the generator is sited outside as the propane canisters
will be, you may be in for a surprise. Lots of people here in Baltimore
have contaminated houses, wells, & local waterways due to propane tanks that
broke loose & floated away.

With NG or propane you will not have this problem, and your time
between oil changes will also increase as it has nbo hydrocarbons
getting by the piston rings to contaminate the oil and make it black.
NG or LPG is best for long term permanent generator setups if you can
afford it. HOnda is quieter tha most. A 30# or 100# bottle of propane
will be there when you need it, ddress

Old 26-09-2003, 01:22 PM
Frank Logullo

Louis Ohland wrote:

However, waiting a week is not likely to be long enough. Once all the
generators are snapped up in an area it's likely to be a couple of
months before you can find what you want. This should be considered a
long term plan so don't rush into it and just buy the first thing that's
available.

HD in my area is featuring a high end generator that runs on natural gas.
The unit can be set to fire up on a regular schedule and has
self-diagnostics. I think that if I were in an area that had frequent
outages or the potential for a prolonged outage I would consider one of
these. I can't remember a time that we lost natural gas service.

Good comments to help me zero in on solving potential future outages. I'm
sure I will not get generator
for a couple of months as region is probably sold out. I'm just aiming at
setting ball in motion by deciding system, backordering etc. Figure
salesman are backed up with requests to just talk to them. We don't have
natural gas service and house heated with oil - rest electric -well, hot
water..... Propane would be possibility if 5 gal tanks might suffice. I
already have 2 for grill. I'll have to calculate my minimum needs and
gas/propane consumption. I have ideal spot for generator but fuel storage,
particularly propane, would be a problem. I'll need enough service for well,
furnace, refrigerator and freezer and some amenities like TV. I'm not
looking for a generator to match my 200 amp service and don't want to create
more problems than the outages we have. As I've decided not to even start
inquiring for a week, any further comments are welcome.
Frank

Old 26-09-2003, 05:22 PM
Jerry Minasi

Check out: http://www.mitsubishi-generator.com/
I bought a Mitsubishi 4800KW Generator locally because of the
immediate need, no time to wait for shipping. I paid $1500. Could
have bought the same for $1200 if I could have waited.
Jerry

Old 26-09-2003, 06:12 PM
Sunflower

"Frank Logullo" wrote in message
Isabel did a number on me with 4 days loss of power and no water due to
well.
My plans are to wait a week and visit Home Depot and get them to hook me

up
(buy generator and installation).
Wonder if anyone has comments? I thought of this ng because last week I
took in my lawnboy for repair and they were swamped with generator and

sump
pump repairs. I've heard Honda is reliable and quiet but expensive.
Frank

One of the HUGE issues with generators is noise. Hondas are not only far
better in quality, they are far easier on the ears. Please make the db
rating a primary consideration in your purchase. A couple here was killed
because their generator was so loud that the neighbors complained. They
closed the garage door to keep the noise out of the neighborhood, and
subsequently died of CO2 poisioning. Most of the cheapos like Briggs and
Stratton powered crap is loud as hell, and it isn't worth the money in the
long run. We've had our Honda for going on 13 years and have had NO issues
with it whatsoever. It's so quiet that during the last ice storm the power
guys had to come up the drive to find out why we mysteriously had lights
when no one else in the neighborhood did. Standing at the front door, the
motor sound didn't even register with them as being a generator.

Sunflower
MS 7b

Old 26-09-2003, 07:22 PM
Dwight Sipler

Another thought or two:

Since (presumably) the system will be inoperative for months at a time,
you might consider a diesel system instead of gasoline-based. The diesel
fuel will keep better than gas, is readily available and is safer to
store.

Someone mentioned that their propane tanks floated away. Of course your
gasoline or diesel containers would do the same thing. Store them higher
than the generator. If they float away, you won't be able to use the
generator anyway because it will be under water.

Noise from the generator:

You're only using it for extended periods of time during emergencies,
right? Your neighbors should understand that there's an emergency under
way. Maintenance operations will be of short duration and to keep peace
with the neighbors, offer to consult with them on their own emergency
plan.

If everyone in your neighborhood gets a generator, maybe you could set
up regular maintenance dates/times so that everyone generates noise at
the same time, rather than multiplying annoyances. Your neighbor's
generator will be making so much noise that he won't hear yours.
Old 26-09-2003, 08:42 PM
Retiredff

Dwight Sipler wrote:
Another thought or two:

Since (presumably) the system will be inoperative for months at a
time, you might consider a diesel system instead of gasoline-based.
The diesel fuel will keep better than gas,

There are things that love to grow in diesel fuel, so keeping it for long
periods of time might be worse then gasoline.

Old 26-09-2003, 11:44 PM
Frank Logullo

"Dwight Sipler" wrote in message
Another thought or two:

Since (presumably) the system will be inoperative for months at a time,
you might consider a diesel system instead of gasoline-based. The diesel
fuel will keep better than gas, is readily available and is safer to
store.

Someone mentioned that their propane tanks floated away. Of course your
gasoline or diesel containers would do the same thing. Store them higher
than the generator. If they float away, you won't be able to use the
generator anyway because it will be under water.

Noise from the generator:

We live on the side of a hill and if we are flooded, 90% of the state of
Delaware would be under water.
Neighbor in back brought home a diesel from his contractors business, it was
huge and noisy and he probably could have hooked up other neighbors. It was
noisy here when power was off and when it came on was even noisier because
everybody's burglar alarms went off. My wife is concerned about being
bothered by our own noise but where I'm setting up, I doubt if it would
bother us. Guy across street has a noisy one and he annoys neighbors even
when not using his generator
Frank

Old 27-09-2003, 12:42 AM
SAS567

HD in my area is featuring a high end generator that runs on natural gas.
The unit can be set to fire up on a regular schedule and has
self-diagnostics. I think that if I were in an area that had frequent
outages or the potential for a prolonged outage I would consider one of
these. I can't remember a time that we lost natural gas service.

Hubby & Brother-in-Law checked these out at Home Depot and we're getting one
that runs on propane but having it installed by our private electrician.
Sue in Mi. (zone 5)

[IMG] code is On

FREE Small Engine Repair Manuals and Tech Support for Lawn Mowers, Generators, Chain Saws and Weed Eaters Michael[_14_] Lawns 0 18-10-2008 07:23 PM
generators Padger United Kingdom 15 02-01-2006 11:28 PM
Mail order generators Frank Gardening 5 02-12-2005 11:43 PM