Old 28-09-2003, 01:22 AM
Shell91

Default Help with a wierd succulent plant "African" sanseveria

I got this at a garage sale today. The tag says African Sanseveria. I have
done a google search but I can't find it anywhere. It's a beautiful plant,
several thick spikes about 2inches in diameter and tapering to a point. The
highest spike is about 3 feet tall and the spikes are ridged. I really need
to know how to take care of it since it will be inside. The guy I bought it
from said it was in the Mother-in-law family

As usual any help is appreciated

Shell

Old 28-09-2003, 02:02 AM
jammer

http://www.desert-tropicals.com/Plan...ifasciata.html

Old 28-09-2003, 02:02 AM
Cereoid-UR12-

Since almost all but a few Indian species and two in Arabia and Madagascar
each are from Africa, that doesn't narrow it down at all.

There are several species with pointed cylindrical leaves. So that doesn't
help narrow it down either.

However, I suspect you have the very widely grown Sanseviera cylindrica.

It is just as easy to grow as the common Sansevieria trifasciata.

. ..

Old 28-09-2003, 05:42 AM
Shell91

Just looked up the Sanseviera cylindrica and that's definitely it. Thanks
From what I'm reading I should be able to grow it inside this winter.
Got a spot all picked ot for it.

Shell

"Cereoid-UR12-" wrote in message
m...
Since almost all but a few Indian species and two in Arabia and Madagascar
each are from Africa, that doesn't narrow it down at all.

There are several species with pointed cylindrical leaves. So that doesn't
help narrow it down either.

However, I suspect you have the very widely grown Sanseviera cylindrica.

It is just as easy to grow as the common Sansevieria trifasciata.

. ..

Old 28-09-2003, 09:02 AM
David Hill

".........The guy I bought it from said it was in the Mother-in-law
family........"

Sanseveria. known as "Mother in Laws Tongue"

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 28-09-2003, 12:32 PM
Cereoid-UR12-

That sure narrows it down, cauliflower brain.

Sanseviera is a large genus (not a family) with hundreds of species, hybrids
and variegated cultivars.

Her plant was Sansevieria cylindrica.

Old 28-09-2003, 01:32 PM
brianflay

Your succulent is most probably Sansevieria trifasciata commonly known as
'mother-in-laws tongue'. Originating in West Africa and is of the Agavaceae.
They require a minimum temperature of 50F and very little water. From
Spring to Autumn let it dry out totally before watering. Will be quite happy
indoors in a semi-shaded position. Very weak liquid manure at monthly
intervals during summer months is all that is needed to maintain health and
the normal slow growth. Do not re-pot unless very necessary.
Best Wishes. B[UK]
"Shell91" wrote in message
. ..
I got this at a garage sale today. The tag says African Sanseveria. I

have
done a google search but I can't find it anywhere. It's a beautiful plant,
several thick spikes about 2inches in diameter and tapering to a point.

The
highest spike is about 3 feet tall and the spikes are ridged. I really

need
to know how to take care of it since it will be inside. The guy I bought

it
from said it was in the Mother-in-law family

As usual any help is appreciated

Shell

[IMG] code is On

tiny white "eggs" on soil of indoor succulent Tom United Kingdom 12 18-11-2008 03:41 PM
Plant ID-- huge whiteish cold tolerant "aloe vera-looking" succulent Darren Garrison Gardening 7 11-07-2007 09:28 PM
Wierd plant identify Bill Gardening 1 17-07-2005 12:18 AM
unusual african "corn plant" blooms the moke monster Gardening 5 18-12-2003 08:33 PM