Old 29-09-2003, 03:32 PM
mandy armit

Default Cat litter

I hope that this query hasn't been posted before. i am a first time
gardener and I am experiencing problems with cats fouling in my flower
beds. Does anyone know of a good method to prevent this?

Thsnking you in advance.
Old 29-09-2003, 04:12 PM
JNJ

I hope that this query hasn't been posted before. i am a first time
gardener and I am experiencing problems with cats fouling in my flower
beds. Does anyone know of a good method to prevent this?

Go to Google, select Groups, and do a search for "Cat" in rec.gardens --
there are a BUNCH of discussions on this topic.

The short answer is that there's not much you can really do to stop it.

You can try the liquid repellents -- they wear off and a good rain will
pretty much eliminate their effectiveness.

You can lay rose stems (with thorns) in your beds -- only viable if your
bed(s) is/are small, otherwise the cats will just work their way around
them.

You can keep the mulch damp -- many cats will flat out ignore this and use
it anyway.

You can get one of those motion activated sprinkler type jobbies that will
swivel and squirt whenever something moves in front of it -- pretty
effective, but limited coverage and if you have more than one bed it can get
expensive.

You can get a dog and leave 'im outside -- pretty effective as well, but has
limitations and he might just dig up your beds (ours go around the beds and
eat the cat droppings).

You can place chicken wire under the mulch and/or buy plastic pads with
little pointy things sticking up -- limited viability due to cost and
plantings, but this works fairly well as long as your mulch is only a light
layer (the cat scratches the chicken wire and learns to stay away).

You can buy a BB gun and shoot the animals (rubber BBs causing less damage),
and/or you can trap them and take them to your local humane society. Some
people kill them outright with a shotgun or handgun.

You can attempt to create a space for the cats to use that you don't mind,
by adding mulch and such then planting catnip. Some have reported this is
fairly effective but not necessarily an end-all solution (i.e., sometimes
their beds still get fouled).

You can try walling/fencing the beds off, although most cats can easily jump
5-6 feet in the air from a standing position so this has limited
effectiveness.

I think that's about the extent of the discussions, minus political debates,
animal rights debates, animal cruelty debates, name calling, complaining
about people that let their cats out, feral cat pack problems in places like
Australia, wisecracks, and any of a number of extras.

James

Old 29-09-2003, 08:02 PM
Mogie

Sprinkle some red pepper around the garden. Cats have such sensitive noses
that after a whiff they leave.

Old 29-09-2003, 08:22 PM
JNJ

Sprinkle some red pepper around the garden. Cats have such sensitive noses
that after a whiff they leave.

Rats -- I missed that one. Kind of falls in with the line about using
liquid repellents though. I'll have to add it to the list.

James

Old 30-09-2003, 01:02 AM
Tom Randy

On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 10:31:34 -0400, mandy armit wrote:

I hope that this query hasn't been posted before. i am a first time
gardener and I am experiencing problems with cats fouling in my flower
beds. Does anyone know of a good method to prevent this?

Thsnking you in advance.

I use a product called "Repel",it stinks and seems to work pretty good for
both cats and dogs. Comes in a half gallon milk type container and runs
about 9$ a box.

Old 30-09-2003, 01:22 AM
JNJ

Maybe combine those two ideas. Look around for some kind of
burgler alarm with a motion-activated sound-recording of some
dog-barking.

There are some motion-activated sound makers out there, but these are less
effective than other solutions at the same price range -- the animals
quickly become used to the sound and learn to ignore it. Plus they're just
plain irritating to normal folks.

James

Old 30-09-2003, 04:02 PM
rosie read and post

i wonder if the red pepper trick works on deer?

--
read and post daily, it works!
rosie

Many individuals have, like uncut diamonds, shining
qualities beneath a rough exterior.