Old 01-10-2003, 08:32 PM
Paul Welch

Default No Bloom on my Bottlebrush

Since putting in my Bottlebrush last April I've had it break out a
couple of times with some sparse blooms. But the sign that came with it
said year-around-bloomer. Am I doing something wrong?

It is getting full sun (10 hours a day).
I fertilize every 2 weeks with Peter's or MiracleGro.
I have heavy bottom growth which I am considering cutting back.
It gets more than enough water from my sprinklers and the guy next
doors. (Too much?)
I'm about 10 houses east of the ocean. (Too much salt?)

Please feel free to give me any advice on how to make this tree bloom.

Thanks
Paul

Old 01-10-2003, 09:42 PM
David Hill

"........I fertilize every 2 weeks with Peter's or MiracleGro....."

If you were feed that often you'd stop working as well.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 01-10-2003, 10:32 PM
Vox Humana

Tell the guy next door to stop ****ing on your plants!

Old 01-10-2003, 11:02 PM
David Hare-Scott

"Paul Welch" wrote in message
Since putting in my Bottlebrush last April I've had it break out a
couple of times with some sparse blooms. But the sign that came with

it
said year-around-bloomer. Am I doing something wrong?

It is getting full sun (10 hours a day).
I fertilize every 2 weeks with Peter's or MiracleGro.
I have heavy bottom growth which I am considering cutting back.
It gets more than enough water from my sprinklers and the guy next
doors. (Too much?)
I'm about 10 houses east of the ocean. (Too much salt?)

Please feel free to give me any advice on how to make this tree bloom.

Thanks
Paul

It would help if you found the sign and gave us the exact species, I
assume you have a species of callistemon but not necessarily as there
are other trees/shrubs with a bottle brush type of flower. Also saying
where you are and the type of soil would help. I doubt that it needs to
be fed every two weeks.

David

Old 02-10-2003, 04:22 AM
Sharon

Paul Welch wrote:
Since putting in my Bottlebrush last April I've had it break out a
couple of times with some sparse blooms. But the sign that came with it
said year-around-bloomer. Am I doing something wrong?

It is getting full sun (10 hours a day).
I fertilize every 2 weeks with Peter's or MiracleGro.
I have heavy bottom growth which I am considering cutting back.
It gets more than enough water from my sprinklers and the guy next
doors. (Too much?)
I'm about 10 houses east of the ocean. (Too much salt?)

Please feel free to give me any advice on how to make this tree bloom.

Thanks
Paul

Try using Miracle Grow Bloom Booster of Peter's equivalent (I forget
what it's called). They are high in phosphates which promotes more
blooms rather than more greenery growth.

sharon

Old 02-10-2003, 05:32 AM
MLEBLANCA

In article , Paul Welch
writes:

Since putting in my Bottlebrush last April I've had it break out a
couple of times with some sparse blooms. But the sign that came with it
said year-around-bloomer. Am I doing something wrong?

It is getting full sun (10 hours a day).
I fertilize every 2 weeks with Peter's or MiracleGro.
I have heavy bottom growth which I am considering cutting back.
It gets more than enough water from my sprinklers and the guy next
doors. (Too much?)
I'm about 10 houses east of the ocean. (Too much salt?)

Please feel free to give me any advice on how to make this tree bloom.

Thanks
Paul

My thoughts:
As David said, too much fertilizer. Mine has not been given
any fert. in over 20 years.
"water from sprinklers"? Are these watering the lawn? If so it's
probably not going deep enough. I keep mine on the dry side
most of the summer, watering occasionly very deeply.
You are confusing "year round " with continuous........
Here they do bloom year round, but not continuously.
It is blooming right now. Then it will bloom again with the largest
amount and length of bloom from sometime in Jan usually through
March. Then again in June. Scattered, sporadic blooms in the
heat of summer, then Sept -Oct.
The growth at the bottom can trimmed off to make a tree-like
form or not. I see both ways. Mine is multi trunked and trimmed
up. I have Callistemon viminalis, the weeping species.
I am in the Central Valley of Calif. (northern region)
Last, remember, it is still young and newly planted . Give it time.
Good luck and enjoy your Bottlebrush, Ido, the bees do, and the
humminbirds, too.

Emilie
Norcal zone 8

Old 02-10-2003, 10:32 PM
Paul Welch

David,

It is a Scarlet Bottlebrush, Callistemonn citrinus. I am in Ormond
Beach, FL, just north of Daytona Beach.(Zone 9a) The soil is sandy.

Paul

Old 03-10-2003, 09:42 AM
David Hare-Scott

Paul

My references say it flowers mainly in spring and may have another show
late summer to early autumn. Your conditions sound OK and apparently it
will stand some salt. Maybe the advertising was too optimistic saying
it would flower all year round.

One suggestion is after flowering to prune back to just behind the spent
flowers in order to encourage new growth and more flowering.

David

Old 03-10-2003, 05:12 PM
Paul Welch

David,

Thanks. I think I may have hurt it with too high of a Nitrogen or
phosphorus fertilizer when it was trying to bloom. Emilie said she
hasn't fertilized hers in 20 years. I going to leave it alone and see
what happens.

Paul