Old 07-10-2003, 01:42 PM
Lecher9000

Default My search for Tall Living Fence continues

Hi,

Here's what I've found so far in my quest for low cost ( I hope)
plants / trees that will grow over 20 feet, and screen out what is behind them.

I've found a place that will sell me 3 ft tall Arbor Vitae for $8 each,
which sounds pretty cheap, bu these arbs only grow 12 to 18 feet.

The same place also has columnar bllue spruce, which grow to 60 feet, and
get wider than the AV, but they are $99 each !! I would need about 6 of
these, probably, equals $600. So they are out, unfortunately.

Can't find bamboo anywhere, and I've heard it's expensive anyway, and you need
to dig a trench.

I've seen some columnar pines nearby, in a row, and they are very dense, very
nice blockage, and about 40 feet tall. They would be ideal. But too expensive,
probably.

My question today is : Where can I get AV's that grow over 20 feet ? Would the
typical nursery have them ? Do I have to order them online ? I'd like to see
what I buy before I buy it.

Thanks,

Old 07-10-2003, 02:42 PM
Sed5555

How about columnar hornbeam or columnar English Oak? They reach that height and
the oak is supposedly fast growing. Tall ornamental grasses, such as a ravenna
grass, get nearly that high. Or you could do a layered effect with trees in the
background and lower growing shrubs in the front of them.
sed5555
Old 08-10-2003, 03:02 AM
Lecher9000

The same place also has columnar bllue spruce, which grow to 60
feet, and
get wider than the AV, but they are $99 each !! I would need about 6
of these, probably, equals $600. So they are out, unfortunately.

Lecher, What size are these to begin with?

They are about 4 or 5 feet tall. Hard to move, lots of ground to dig.

Old 08-10-2003, 03:03 AM
Lecher9000

How about columnar hornbeam or columnar English Oak? They reach that height
and
the oak is supposedly fast growing. Tall ornamental grasses, such as a
ravenna
grass, get nearly that high. Or you could do a layered effect with trees in
the
background and lower growing shrubs in the front of them.
sed5555

Thanks, sed.
Can I get these plants at a nursery ? ARe they expensive ? And do they provide
dense foliage to block vision through them ? Are they evergreen ?

Old 14-10-2003, 09:12 PM
Mogie

Most of your mountain laurel will do. They are evergreen (most), grow tall
and dense and provide berries for the birds.