Old 08-07-2004, 05:02 PM
Allview

Default living fence in the shade???

I'd like to put shrubs of some kind along the back lot line. Preferably ones
that have berries for the birds. I have mulberry trees back there and I don't
want to cut them down so it is very shady. The only light they might get would
be coming from the north. Do elderberry bushes need much light? Maybe I'm
just out of luck hoping to grow things back there.

Marilyn in central Ohio
Old 08-07-2004, 05:02 PM
Doug Kanter

At library or bookstore, borrow/buy/order a book called "Complete Shade
Gardener" by George Schenk and Peter Loewer. It's amazing. You'll end up
with more than enough ideas for your situation. Matter of fact, you may end
up replanting the entire yard. :-) Paperback, 17.95 at Barnes & Noble.

Old 11-07-2004, 06:02 AM
Pen

Try a raspberry, tolerates shade and birds love them. They can be a
little invasive if you have a garden bed nearby.
Old 11-07-2004, 01:02 PM
Allview

The Pacific Red Elderberry grows rapidly & does superbly in shady spots.
They can grow ten or fifteen feet tall in just a couple years if you let
them, but they are also easy to prune to smaller sizes without looking
butchered.

Is this suitable for central Ohio?
M.
Old 11-07-2004, 01:03 PM
Allview

As suggested earlier, I have ordered the book "Complete Shade Gardener" by
George Schenk.

M.

Old 12-07-2004, 06:02 AM
Doug Kanter

"Allview" wrote in message
As suggested earlier, I have ordered the book "Complete Shade Gardener" by
George Schenk.

M.

You're gonna have fun with that book!

Old 12-07-2004, 09:02 AM
gregpresley

Probably not, but there are elderberries native to the east which would
probably serve equally well.