Old 14-10-2003, 01:02 AM
Sabaa Mundia

Default FIGS - not ripening

Dear friends,
I bought a fig tree this year from Franks nursery in Long Island, it is
growing very well and made lots of small figs but the fruit is not ripening
and any fruit that becomes little big falls off. So please can some one tell
me what is happening.
And also living in New York that is zone 7 do I need to cover over the
winter and if yes then with what should I cover it.
Thanking you in advance for your replys,
sabaa

Old 14-10-2003, 01:42 AM
Cereoid-UR12-

Your plant is still too young to produce viable fruit. It takes a couple of
years for the rootstock to get thoroughly established.

You will indeed need to cover your plant for it survive the winter. Ask an
old Greek or Italian that has fig trees how they overwinter their plants in
your area.

Old 14-10-2003, 04:22 PM

mine are planted in big tubs I drag them into the heated garage for winter
real fig people tie the trees, wrap them and then tip them over into a trench (have
to undercut one side of the rootball), cover the trees with dirt and then straw over
the top of that. Figs need lots of fert and water to be really productive. I too am
at the little fig stage, but this is the first year they are in the big plastic tubs.
I will see next year. Ingrid

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com