Old 30-11-2004, 05:18 AM
Bill Oertell

Default Distressed Goldfish

Early this morning one of our fantail goldfish was entangled in some string
algae. When I fished him out of the pond, I thought he was dead until he
twitched a little in the net. I put him back in the pond and tried to push him
around a little to get water to flow through his gills, but he wasn't really
responding. The water was really cold (38 degrees) so I thought maybe it was
too cold for the fish to resuscitate, as cold water doesn't store as much
dissolved oxygen as warm water, and I figured the fish was exhausted from trying
to free himself from the string algae and needed oxygen. I filled a large
container with water from the pond, put the fish in the water, and brought him
inside. There I pushed him around some more and blew air into the water to get
some more dissolved oxygen into the water. I also fed him a little.
He seems to be doing fine now. But now my question his: should I put him
back in the pond, after acclimating for several hours, or get an aquarium for
him until the spring? The fish is going to have gone from 38 degrees to
something like 68 degrees and back in a little more than a day, and I'm thinking
that may be too much stress for the little guy.
Opinions are more than welcome. Thanks.

Old 30-11-2004, 04:17 PM
Derek Broughton

Bill Oertell wrote:

He seems to be doing fine now. But now my question his: should I put
him
back in the pond, after acclimating for several hours, or get an aquarium
for
him until the spring? The fish is going to have gone from 38 degrees to
something like 68 degrees and back in a little more than a day, and I'm
thinking that may be too much stress for the little guy.
Opinions are more than welcome. Thanks.

He'd probably have done best in the pond - which would have been harder for
you :-) Definitely don't try to put him back in the pond now. They can
handle a rise in temp much better than a drop.
--
derek

Old 30-11-2004, 04:33 PM
Crashj

On or about Mon, 29 Nov 2004 21:18:30 -0800, "Bill Oertell"
wrote something like:

Early this morning one of our fantail goldfish was entangled in some string
algae. The water was really cold (38 degrees) so I thought maybe it was
too cold for the fish to resuscitate, as cold water doesn't store as much
dissolved oxygen as warm water

Actually colder liquids hold more dissolved gasses. I know, it sounds
backwards, but thats the physics.

As for the fish, I think that since he slowly acclimated to the
cooling water over the Fall, you will have to repeat that process or
just keep him inside for the Winter.

You should also clear out the string algae if it bothers you. I trwirl
it up with a dowel and pull out the bigger clumps.
--
Crashj

Old 30-11-2004, 05:32 PM
Phisherman

On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 21:18:30 -0800, "Bill Oertell"
wrote:

[...]

Large temperature changes to fish can be fatal. As long as the
temperature is kept constant and above freezing goldfish will be fine.
The larger the pond the more stable the temperature. Cold-blooded
animals' metabolism slows down when temperatures drop. If you put him
back into the pond, but do so such that the temperature drop is very
gradual, perhaps a few degrees per day--if you can't manage this kind
of change then keep him inside for the winter months. Below 50, you
should not have to feed.

Gases (including oxygen) dissolve better in cold water than warm water
(just he opposite of salts.)

Old 01-12-2004, 02:06 AM
Nedra

Go ahead and buy an aquarium for your little fishie! I can tell your
attached to
him already. I'd bring in another one from the pond for company. But that's
just me.

Nedra

Old 02-12-2004, 06:10 AM
Bill Oertell

Thanks everyone for your answers.

The wife wants to put the fish back into the pond, after several hours of
acclimation, of course. My vote is for an aquarium and getting the little fella
a companion from the petshop and then putting them all into the pond in the
spring. I know fantails aren't the best type of goldfish for an outdoor pond,
as they don't swim that fast. But it adds some diversity to a pond full of
comets.
The other thing I'm thinking about is that I really can't keep up on the
string algae all through the winter. It just grows too fast. So if I put the
fantail back in the pond, it just might get tangled up again.
No, I think it's going to spend the winter in an aquarium. I know it's used
to having 1,000 gallons of space to swim around in, but it's just going to have
to get used to a smaller hotel room for the winter.

Old 02-12-2004, 01:53 PM
Phisherman

On Wed, 1 Dec 2004 22:10:48 -0800, "Bill Oertell"
wrote:

Thanks everyone for your answers.

The wife wants to put the fish back into the pond, after several hours of
acclimation, of course. My vote is for an aquarium and getting the little fella
a companion from the petshop and then putting them all into the pond in the
spring. I know fantails aren't the best type of goldfish for an outdoor pond,
as they don't swim that fast. But it adds some diversity to a pond full of
comets.
The other thing I'm thinking about is that I really can't keep up on the
string algae all through the winter. It just grows too fast. So if I put the
fantail back in the pond, it just might get tangled up again.
No, I think it's going to spend the winter in an aquarium. I know it's used
to having 1,000 gallons of space to swim around in, but it's just going to have
to get used to a smaller hotel room for the winter.

You could try adding a bale of barley to control the string algae.
Our local pond/aquarium shop sells the bales. Also, you could add
more shade to the pond such as lily pads. No concern about the fish
getting tangles in the algae, though. The goldfish is between a rock
and a hard place--reducing the temperature slow enough, or be
depressed in a hotel room. If you go the pond route, you could put
the fish in a closed Styrofoam cooler for 24 hours or more to help a
gradual decrease in temperature.

Old 02-12-2004, 09:52 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

On Wed, 1 Dec 2004 22:10:48 -0800, "Bill Oertell" wrote:

The wife wants to put the fish back into the pond, after several hours of
acclimation, of course. My vote is for an aquarium and getting the little fella
a companion

My fantails come in from the outside pond (1,000 gallons) every fall. 4
have a 55 gallon aquarium to swim in and 2 have a 20 gallon. If money is a
concern, a plastic tote tub would work with a homemade bucket filter. ~ jan

http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Defrosted~
Tri-Cities, WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website

Old 02-12-2004, 09:52 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

On Wed, 1 Dec 2004 22:10:48 -0800, "Bill Oertell" wrote:

The wife wants to put the fish back into the pond, after several hours of
acclimation, of course. My vote is for an aquarium and getting the little fella
a companion

My fantails come in from the outside pond (1,000 gallons) every fall. 4
have a 55 gallon aquarium to swim in and 2 have a 20 gallon. If money is a
concern, a plastic tote tub would work with a homemade bucket filter. ~ jan

http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Defrosted~
Tri-Cities, WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website

Distressed cordylines & flax Sandra Bodycoat Australia 2 15-02-2007 10:08 AM
Distressed Goldfish Bill Oertell Ponds 0 30-11-2004 05:18 AM
Distressed Goldfish Bill Oertell Ponds 0 30-11-2004 05:18 AM
Fertilizing distressed St Augustine Tom Harris Gardening 1 09-04-2004 03:02 AM
found abandoned distressed snake plant - help. occupant Gardening 2 14-10-2003 01:12 PM