Old 22-10-2003, 03:12 AM
B & J

Default Help with spiders, please!

"zhanataya" wrote in message
How do they gain access when we have screens
on all the windows and the doors are never left open? Are they able to
invade when they are small enough to come through the screens? Inquiring
minds want to know! G

John

They probably hitched a ride in on your clothes or groceries. But I
wouldn't tell Barb that. ;-) Spiders are my favorite in the insect
world. They do bother me though when the babies are balloning around
and I get a face full of silk.

zhan

I had never really thought of that before, but you're probably right. The
babies are certainly small enough to avoid notice unless one was
specifically looking for them. Barb isn't really afraid of spiders, but they
drive her to distraction when they decide to spin their webs between the
screen and the window - particularly when it's just before company arrives
and she hasn't noticed the webs earlier. G

John

Old 22-10-2003, 04:42 AM
Sed5555

Well, in my idle moments I suppose it's fascinating to sit and watch a large
spider spin its complicated web.

BTW, I've never spent time studying, but I've not seen spiders snagging ants
and roaches. Have I been missing something?

Well, maybe not ants and roaches (don't have any, thankfully) but lots of other
little things. Here is a link to pictures of some of my seasonal cohabitants
(Joe and Jolene) this year. They are fascinating to watch:
http://www.colostate.edu/Depts/CoopE...ts/jumping.htm
sed5555
Old 22-10-2003, 12:22 PM
Frogleg

On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 21:34:05 GMT, "Tina Gibson"
wrote:

I love spiders - they are our friends. Please don't kill out friends..

Oh, gimme a break. While it's very St. Francis to love every living
creature, and rabbit on about "places in the natural world," humans
and their dwellings have a place, too. A good rainstorm "naturally"
kills far more insects (or arachnids) than anyone tidying their porch
could. Spiders are interesting. They have their place in the natural
scheme of things, which *isn't* spinning webs inside my car. Many
people find all spiders creepy. Few want to host snakes in their
basements, however beneficial their habits (mostly) are.

Old 22-10-2003, 01:32 PM
Tina Gibson

wrote:

I love spiders - they are our friends. Please don't kill out friends..

Oh, gimme a break. While it's very St. Francis to love every living
creature, and rabbit on about "places in the natural world," humans
and their dwellings have a place, too. A good rainstorm "naturally"
kills far more insects (or arachnids) than anyone tidying their porch
could. Spiders are interesting. They have their place in the natural
scheme of things, which *isn't* spinning webs inside my car. Many
people find all spiders creepy. Few want to host snakes in their
basements, however beneficial their habits (mostly) are.

I knew someone would bite...and amuse me.

Old 22-10-2003, 02:22 PM
animaux

On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 15:52:36 -0500, zhanataya opined:

They probably hitched a ride in on your clothes or groceries. But I
wouldn't tell Barb that. ;-) Spiders are my favorite in the insect
world. They do bother me though when the babies are balloning around
and I get a face full of silk.

zhan

I solved that problem by using a bamboo pole for the daily morning walks through
the gardens. I prod up ahead and if there are webs I try not to disturb them.
Fortunately, the large orb spiders nest and web on or near the plants which
attract grasshoppers. I don't kill spiders. Black widow or brown recluse, if
found in the garage or near our house are put into a jar and released way in the
back corner of the yard. I see no reason to kill them.

Victoria

Old 22-10-2003, 02:22 PM
limey

"Sed5555" wrote in message

limey wrote:
BTW, I've never spent time studying, but I've not seen spiders snagging

ants
and roaches. Have I been missing something?

Well, maybe not ants and roaches (don't have any, thankfully) but lots of

other
little things. Here is a link to pictures of some of my seasonal

cohabitants
(Joe and Jolene) this year. They are fascinating to watch:
http://www.colostate.edu/Depts/CoopE...ts/jumping.htm
sed5555

Ugh, ugh, ugh! grin
Well, I don't have roaches either, but we do get ants marching into the
house in spring and fall. Those spiders are certainly lying down on the job
at those times. Another poster says they catch snakes? Good lord, how big
are those spiders?

Dora

Old 22-10-2003, 03:12 PM
Tina Gibson

"animaux" wrote in message
[...]

Yay Victoria!! We don't have any poisonous spiders in our area - just the
regular type that only itch if they bite.
We probably have a bazillion in the yard and in the house - but I made my
peace with spiders yrs ago. They are beautiful creatures and do us a great
service - inside and out. Of course my cats love them too and often spend
hrs in the woodpile in the basement (for woodstove) during the long winter
nights hunting them - so the balance is kept - I don't need to step in. I
don't believe it is up to me to knowingly kill anything - I like to grow
things and help them thrive- not destroy them. That is why I am a gardener.
We are all here to procreate and perpetuate our own species and I for one
will not knowingly kill without purpose!! Now if anyone had a good recipe
for spider stew and we were going hungry....

Old 22-10-2003, 06:12 PM
animaux

On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 15:52:36 -0500, zhanataya opined:

They probably hitched a ride in on your clothes or groceries. But I
wouldn't tell Barb that. ;-) Spiders are my favorite in the insect
world. They do bother me though when the babies are balloning around
and I get a face full of silk.

zhan

How about these teeney babies?

http://home.austin.rr.com/animaux/newgarden/

V-taken by the pool

Old 23-10-2003, 01:22 PM
Frogleg

On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 12:29:49 GMT, "Tina Gibson"

"Frogleg" wrote

wrote:

I love spiders - they are our friends. Please don't kill out friends..

Oh, gimme a break. While it's very St. Francis to love every living
creature, and rabbit on about "places in the natural world," humans
and their dwellings have a place, too. A good rainstorm "naturally"
kills far more insects (or arachnids) than anyone tidying their porch
could. Spiders are interesting. They have their place in the natural
scheme of things, which *isn't* spinning webs inside my car. Many
people find all spiders creepy. Few want to host snakes in their
basements, however beneficial their habits (mostly) are.

I knew someone would bite...and amuse me.

I haven't bitten anyone in *years*. Happy to hear you're amused.
Old 18-11-2003, 10:32 PM
Steve Carras

"Tina Gibson" wrote in message news:K5wlb.147803$pl3.2468@pd7tw3no...
"animaux" wrote in message
[...]

Hi, this is my first post here. Going thru Google for articles on
grasshoppers, found a Victoria who had fears of them as I sometimes
do..

I;m so glad that she's still here (when I checked for her messages
they were no later than 1999) since I tend to sometimes share the same
fear she does,esp.as a kid. She's in good company regarding
grasshopper worries. Out here in SOuthern California we can gwet them
about 5 inches (the books on insects in the area understate hopper
sizes at about 2 and a half inches at the most..I know that, legs
strecthing behind the thorax notwithstanding that hoppers are AT least
5 inches given one of Victori'a posts some years ago.
Old 19-11-2003, 11:32 AM
Harvey

om...

"animaux" wrote in message
On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 15:52:36 -0500, zhanataya

opined:

They probably hitched a ride in on your clothes or groceries. But I
wouldn't tell Barb that. ;-) Spiders are my favorite in the insect

Spiders are not insects.
The are arachnides, which are arthropods, & have 8 legs not 6.

Harvey

[IMG] code is On

Spiders in my shop HELP The Webbers Hilltop Cycle ATV Lawns 22 05-10-2007 01:17 AM
help ID the giant spiders in my garden! Dawn Gardening 9 30-08-2005 01:30 AM
Help with spiders Papewayo Gardening 4 06-09-2003 01:42 PM
[IBC] Killing little white spiders? Dave Stegink Bonsai 3 31-01-2003 05:49 PM