Old 29-11-2003, 05:42 PM
Steve Carras

Default Help with spiders, please!

(Steve Carras) wrote in message . com...
"Tina Gibson" wrote in message news:K5wlb.147803$pl3.2468@pd7tw3no...
"animaux" wrote in message
On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 15:52:36 -0500, zhanataya opined:

They probably hitched a ride in on your clothes or groceries. But I
wouldn't tell Barb that. ;-) Spiders are my favorite in the insect
world. They do bother me though when the babies are balloning around
and I get a face full of silk.

zhan

I solved that problem by using a bamboo pole for the daily morning walks

through
the gardens. I prod up ahead and if there are webs I try not to disturb

them.
Fortunately, the large orb spiders nest and web on or near the plants

which
attract grasshoppers. I don't kill spiders. Black widow or brown

recluse, if
found in the garage or near our house are put into a jar and released way

in the
back corner of the yard. I see no reason to kill them.

Victoria

Yay Victoria!! We don't have any poisonous spiders in our area - just the
regular type that only itch if they bite.
We probably have a bazillion in the yard and in the house - but I made my
peace with spiders yrs ago. They are beautiful creatures and do us a great
service - inside and out. Of course my cats love them too and often spend
hrs in the woodpile in the basement (for woodstove) during the long winter
nights hunting them - so the balance is kept - I don't need to step in. I
don't believe it is up to me to knowingly kill anything - I like to grow
things and help them thrive- not destroy them. That is why I am a gardener.
We are all here to procreate and perpetuate our own species and I for one
will not knowingly kill without purpose!! Now if anyone had a good recipe
for spider stew and we were going hungry....

Hi, this is my first post here. Going thru Google for articles on
grasshoppers, found a Victoria who had fears of them as I sometimes
do..

And judging by the e-mail name Animaux, it's the same one..I wasn't on
this NG back when the topic used to come up...I still see hopper ..and
katydid (iklove going up to 'em and saying "did Katy do it?")

[IMG] code is On

Spiders in my shop HELP The Webbers Hilltop Cycle ATV Lawns 22 05-10-2007 01:17 AM
help ID the giant spiders in my garden! Dawn Gardening 9 30-08-2005 01:30 AM
Help with spiders Papewayo Gardening 4 06-09-2003 01:42 PM
[IBC] Killing little white spiders? Dave Stegink Bonsai 3 31-01-2003 05:49 PM