Old 26-10-2003, 02:32 AM
Sam

Default Is this nasturtium?

I think I found it online...

is this it???

http://www.sandmountainherbs.com/watercress.html

I thought watercress was a different plant???
I'm very confused now.

Sam wrote:
While I was down at HomeDepot, I asked several pelple from the garden
department for "nasturtium." They looked at me as if I was from Mars!
One of them actually pointed me to the vegetable section!!! I was
wondering if it goes by some "common" name that the HD people would
recognize!

PS if anyone has a pic (or link with pic) handy, it would go a long
way! Because then, I can just show them the pick and say: this is what
I'm looking for! ;-)

Thanks!
Sam

Old 26-10-2003, 04:12 AM
Salty Thumb

Sam wrote:
While I was down at HomeDepot, I asked several pelple from the garden
department for "nasturtium." They looked at me as if I was from Mars!
One of them actually pointed me to the vegetable section!!! I was
wondering if it goes by some "common" name that the HD people would
recognize!

PS if anyone has a pic (or link with pic) handy, it would go a long
way! Because then, I can just show them the pick and say: this is what
I'm looking for! ;-)

Thanks!
Sam

Sorry to confuse you. No it's not the same. At least I don't think so.
The plant that goes by the common name "nasturtium" is a "new world"
plant (i.e. indigenous to the Americas, and therefore unlikely to be
encountered and named by a bunch of musty old Romans). There are
apparently other plants named in a genus 'nasturtium' (your link).
According to paghat (hi paggers), the genus of plant we are talking about
is 'Tropaeolum'. She also posted a link to a picture.

- ST

Old 26-10-2003, 04:12 AM
Sed5555

I think the nasturtium you may be looking for can be found he
http://www.colostate.edu/Depts/CoopE...uals/happy.htm
sed5555
Old 26-10-2003, 05:22 AM
gregpresley

nasturtium leaves taste very similar to watercress and can be used
interchangebly in recipes calling for watercress (watercress sandwiches and
the like). So occasionally they are called watercress-like, or flowering
watercress. They are not related botanically, and they grow in different
circumstances. (Nasturtiums would not enjoy having constantly wet roots for
instance).

Sam wrote:
While I was down at HomeDepot, I asked several pelple from the garden
department for "nasturtium." They looked at me as if I was from Mars!
One of them actually pointed me to the vegetable section!!! I was
wondering if it goes by some "common" name that the HD people would
recognize!

PS if anyone has a pic (or link with pic) handy, it would go a long
way! Because then, I can just show them the pick and say: this is what
I'm looking for! ;-)

Thanks!
Sam

[IMG] code is On

Whyi is it impossible to wet Nasturtium leaves Graham Dixon United Kingdom 11 03-07-2004 12:05 PM
Nasturtium??? Common name? Sam Gardening 6 24-10-2003 12:32 AM
Thompson&Morgan Nasturtium Cobra Plants Terryfilby United Kingdom 0 24-07-2003 11:02 AM
nasturtium Steve & Erin Gardening 5 08-07-2003 10:56 PM
Trollius Seeds and strange nasturtium Glenda Young United Kingdom 0 19-11-2002 08:03 PM