Old 05-11-2003, 01:02 AM
Françoise

Default Christmas Cactus

Hi,

Last year my Christmas Cactus did nothing before Christmas. I put it in
the dark for a while. It finally flowered with a few flowers but nothing
to speak about. It was in February.

This year, I did nothing. I just noted that it has some flowers and a
lot of buds. No branches are without a bud. It will be gorgeous soon. I
guess all the flowers will be gone at Christmas time though. Ah well.

Fran=E7oise.

Old 05-11-2003, 11:32 AM
Tom Randy

On Tue, 04 Nov 2003 19:29:23 -0500, Françoise wrote:

Hi,

Last year my Christmas Cactus did nothing before Christmas. I put it in
the dark for a while. It finally flowered with a few flowers but nothing
to speak about. It was in February.

This year, I did nothing. I just noted that it has some flowers and a lot
of buds. No branches are without a bud. It will be gorgeous soon. I guess
all the flowers will be gone at Christmas time though. Ah well.

Françoise.

I find they need cooler temperatures more than darkness. Mine are setting
buds right now. I put them closer to the floor where it's cooler and bam,
new flower buds.
Old 05-11-2003, 01:02 PM
Cereoid-UR12-

You obviously haven't noticed that the days have already gotten shorter
regardless of any intervention on your part.

Old 05-11-2003, 02:12 PM
animaux

On Tue, 04 Nov 2003 19:29:23 -0500, Françoise opined:

Hi,

Last year my Christmas Cactus did nothing before Christmas. I put it in
the dark for a while. It finally flowered with a few flowers but nothing
to speak about. It was in February.

This year, I did nothing. I just noted that it has some flowers and a
lot of buds. No branches are without a bud. It will be gorgeous soon. I
guess all the flowers will be gone at Christmas time though. Ah well.

Françoise.

http://www.fernlea.com/xmas/cactinfo.htm

All the precise info you need to know.
Old 06-11-2003, 02:02 AM
Tom Randy

On Wed, 05 Nov 2003 07:52:51 -0500, Cereoid-UR12- wrote:

You obviously haven't noticed that the days have already gotten shorter
regardless of any intervention on your part.

Ummm, yes I have actually. Thanks for asking. Total darkness is not
needed to get these to bloom. IMHO it's cooler temps that does it.

Your results may vary. Batteries not included, close cover before
striking, apply to infected area only.

Old 06-11-2003, 04:02 AM
Cereoid-UR12-

Not asking a neophyte like you, I'm telling you.

You opinion doesn't count even though you are the one lost in total
darkness.

You need to change your batteries. You kept picking at it and now you've
gotten it infected.

Old 06-11-2003, 12:42 PM
pixi

Mine, which was blooming beautifully when I bought it last Christmas, is
blooming now. darn it.

Pixi

Old 07-11-2003, 02:02 AM
Françoise

Pixi,

When I was a little girl, my mother had one and every year; it would star=
blooming 2 weeks or so before Christmas. When the first bud appeared my
mother used to say: "It is time to start preparing for Christmas". I was
really puzzled at the time; how could a plant know Christmas was coming. =
She
kept this Christmas cactus for years.

Fran=E7oise