Old 07-11-2003, 05:42 PM
Grandpa

Default Composting with fireplace ashes

Is there a compelling reason to use use or not use fireplace ashes in my
compost pile?

Old 07-11-2003, 07:02 PM
Mike Gilmore

I would not use fire ashes on plants or compost due to the likely risk of
poisons from burnt coal that would build up in the soil over time.
I am not certain if such toxins would exist from ash of known woods. Perhaps
others could advise?

Old 07-11-2003, 07:12 PM
Jim W

Grandpa jsdebooATcomcast.net wrote:

Is there a compelling reason to use use or not use fireplace ashes in my
compost pile?

Depends what you use as fuel.. Large chopped logs contain very little
in the way of beneficial nutrient. SMALL woody clippings contain
appreciable amounts of potash.. but it will leach if rained on.. SO keep
covered and introduce into copmpost in a controlled manner..

Be aware alsothat bruning some woods (eg laburnum etc) releases toxic
fumes.

Soot/Ashes and cinders from coalite/coal are best used for paths, slug
barriers etc only in limited amounts as can be quite toxic.

Jim
Old 07-11-2003, 09:02 PM
Phisherman

On Fri, 07 Nov 2003 10:41:12 -0700, Grandpa jsdebooATcomcast.net
wrote:

Is there a compelling reason to use use or not use fireplace ashes in my
compost pile?

Use them! They are also beneficial to use directly on shrubs, trees,
and lawn. You can use them to encircle your plants to ward off slugs.
Ashes are potash rich. They tend to make the soil alkaline, so avoid
using ashes on acid-loving plants. Ashes can also be used on ice
patches on steps, driveway--more kind to plants than using salt.
Old 08-11-2003, 12:02 AM
animaux

If they are ashes from wood, especially wood which was not treated with CCA
(never use that for any reason, particularly don't ever burn it) you can put a
very small smathering of ashes in the compost pile. It will add some potash,
but is highly base and cannot be used in high amounts.

On Fri, 07 Nov 2003 10:41:12 -0700, Grandpa jsdebooATcomcast.net opined:

Old 08-11-2003, 04:02 AM
Mary Shafer

wrote:

Is there a compelling reason to use use or not use fireplace ashes in my
compost pile?

It depends on your soil. If it's alkaline, forget the ashes. If it's
acid, go ahead.

As you've probably deduced, ashes are alkaline. We don't put them on
our alkaline soil in the CA desert for that reason.

Mary

Old 08-11-2003, 05:02 AM
Grandpa

wrote:

Is there a compelling reason to use use or not use fireplace ashes in my
compost pile?

It depends on your soil. If it's alkaline, forget the ashes. If it's
acid, go ahead.

As you've probably deduced, ashes are alkaline. We don't put them on
our alkaline soil in the CA desert for that reason.

Mary

Thanks Mary, I'm in Albuquerque so I have plenty of alkalinity already.

Old 08-11-2003, 08:02 AM
JNJ

Is there a compelling reason to use use or not use fireplace ashes in my
compost pile?

I doubt I'd ever put them in my compost pile, but I spread them about the
beds of my lilacs. They absolutely love it -- seems like they grow higher
and higher ever time I cook out.

An important item to note -- if we're talking about normal wood, i.e. the
kind you collect in the forest and such, then you should be fine. If you're
talking about processed stuff (like you would buy in a lumber yard for
example) then you may wish to reconsider. If the wood has been treated in
any way then definitely do NOT burn it. Same goes for woods like poison ivy
and the like -- gives off noxious fumes (toxic in some cases).

We typically burn maple, walnut, and occasionally a few other junk trees in
the yard that lose branches. We'll be burning even more if I ever get that
firepit dug in.

James

Old 08-11-2003, 12:32 PM
Tina Gibson

wrote:

Is there a compelling reason to use use or not use fireplace ashes in my
compost pile?

It depends on your soil. If it's alkaline, forget the ashes. If it's
acid, go ahead.

As you've probably deduced, ashes are alkaline. We don't put them on
our alkaline soil in the CA desert for that reason.

Mary

Thanks Mary, I'm in Albuquerque so I have plenty of alkalinity already.

I wouldn't put anymore than a little 1 gallon pail full into a large compost
heap. It will slow down the composting process. If you put in too much you
run the risk of killing off some of the little microbes and worms that you
want to live there. Particularly here where the composting season is very
short and takes longer in spring for microbes to repopulate again. May not
have as bad of an effect on warm climate composting - quicker recovery if
you have a very active compost. Still would add sparingly over time and see
how it goes.Mix it well with some grass cuttings or other high nitro organic
material.

I also have a woodstove. I have spread some sparingly in some flower beds -
but only do it maybe every few yrs. We also have alkaline soil here. Before
I moved into this house my husband lived here on his own and would dump
ashes freely into the existing tulip and lettuce beds - it took a lot of
amelioration to get these beds back into shape to be able to grow anything
else decently (a lot of stunted plants).

Luckily I have other uses for the ashes.
1. 90 acres in the country where I can dump it in many places to discourage
grass growth - gravel road, pathways, etc. or some back in the forest the
trees came from.
2. An outhouse where we use it mixed with peat moss and dump it down the
hole! Keeps the smell down. Note: our outhouse is not over any ground water
reservoirs.
3. City friends who take it for their gardens.
4. When lacking any options, a very large city compost site that I can take
it to.

Sure would like to here anyone elses uses for it!!

Old 08-11-2003, 01:12 PM
Compostman

wrote:

Is there a compelling reason to use use or not use fireplace ashes in my
compost pile?

Use them! They are also beneficial to use directly on shrubs, trees,
and lawn. You can use them to encircle your plants to ward off slugs.
Ashes are potash rich. They tend to make the soil alkaline, so avoid
using ashes on acid-loving plants. Ashes can also be used on ice
patches on steps, driveway--more kind to plants than using salt.

I agree with this advice. I put ashes in my compost, but because it's pH is
so high, I usually wait until my composting process has slowed down to avoid
getting ammonia, and thus a bad smell and loss of nitrogen. Because my soil
is naturally acid, I also put ashes around my liliacs which like alkaline
conditions. I don't think ashes in reasonable amounts are going to make any
significant effect on the compost pH, which tends to be neutral, no matter
what you put in it (assuming normal type waste, not battery acid).
--
Compostman
Washington, DC

Old 08-11-2003, 01:22 PM
Cheryl Isaak

On 11/8/03 8:07 AM, in article
, "Compostman"

wrote:

[...]

I am finding this all very interesting - here in NE, normal fireplace and
woodstove ashes are highly recommended to spread over the soil or in the
compost. (I think they included pellets and those new corn product pellets
in this.) What I do know is don't use coal or manufactured charcoal ash.
Cheryl

Old 08-11-2003, 06:32 PM
Tina Gibson

wrote:

[...]

I have to disagree - I have done large scale R&D on composting and pH will
change dependent on material.
A reasonable amount will not affect - but as I said I have a woodstove and
one winter of constant burning can certainly result in an unreasonable
amount. Also due to the low porosity value of ash - it will lead to
anaerobicity if added in too high a volume.

Old 08-11-2003, 07:12 PM
Grandpa

JNJ wrote:
Is there a compelling reason to use use or not use fireplace ashes in my
compost pile?

I doubt I'd ever put them in my compost pile, but I spread them about the
beds of my lilacs. They absolutely love it -- seems like they grow higher
and higher ever time I cook out.

Having a dozen lilac bushes around the yard I may give this a shot on
one or two. They love the soil they are in now and grow pretty quick
too, although it is quite alkaline. I'll add a shovel full to a couple
and watch what happens. Worst it can do is probably nothing, or I can
dump manure on them to counteractG.

An important item to note -- if we're talking about normal wood, i.e. the
kind you collect in the forest and such, then you should be fine.

Yup, cut it myself for burning, me and my trusty Husqvarna Rancher 55
chainsaw.

talking about processed stuff (like you would buy in a lumber yard for
example) then you may wish to reconsider.

The only lumberyard stuff I use is the tiny bit for kindling, then its
split logs.

Old 08-11-2003, 07:12 PM
Grandpa

wrote:

[...]

Speaking of composting, my pile (I'm new to composting) is on a side of
the house that gets sun for maybe 3 hours a day at best. In order to
keep it warm I covered it lightly with a hunk of old solar blanket from
our pool (which is now a beautiful garden). This of course keeps the
rain (like we have any in Albuquerque) out and most of the moisture fom
frost, like we have much of that either. Any recommendations if I
should remove the cover for the winter and let nature take its course or
keep it covered. The enclosure is of oak pallets so it has lots of air
flow around it,