Old 08-11-2003, 07:22 PM
whoamI

Default I found it! (was:buddah's lantern)

VICTORY! I finally found the name of the plant I was looking for!
The Latin is Mussaenda philippica. A picture is at this link.
Finally, the mystery is solved, and I can rest easy again, except for
the snippet of a tune I heard through the window of a passing car 5
DAYS AGO that I have yet to be able to identify, but one mystery at a
time... http://plantsdatabase.com/showpicture/16230/
Old 08-11-2003, 11:22 PM
hermine stover

On Sat, 08 Nov 2003 19:13:43 GMT, whoamI wrote:

VICTORY! I finally found the name of the plant I was looking for!
The Latin is Mussaenda philippica. A picture is at this link.
Finally, the mystery is solved, and I can rest easy again, except for
the snippet of a tune I heard through the window of a passing car 5
DAYS AGO that I have yet to be able to identify, but one mystery at a
time... http://plantsdatabase.com/showpicture/16230/

OK. HUM A FEW BARS! I probably know this song!

hermine
never would have guessed Mussaenda!
Old 09-11-2003, 05:12 AM
Elizabeth

An excellent example of why common names are useless.... 'round here we call
that Summer Poinsettia.. So glad you found it.
--
elizabeth, Baton Rouge, LA
http://community.webshots.com/user/elott63

Old 09-11-2003, 10:02 AM
Cereoid-UR12-

Yes, common names are worthless indeed.

Around here, the "Summer Poinsettia" is Euphorbia cyathophora (often
misidentified as Euphorbia heterophylla).

Old 09-11-2003, 12:42 PM
brianflay

Thank goodness. You would not believe the research many have made to no
avail. As so frequently stated common~ sometimes uncommon~ names are of
little value.
I feel also that even some very common names differ between the US and
UK. Primrose and Rose of Sharon seem good examples. In UK they are Primula
and Hypericum sps. whereas the US seems to be Oenothera and ***[have
forgotten]
Best wishes.

Old 09-11-2003, 03:02 PM
Pam - gardengal

"brianflay" wrote in message
Thank goodness. You would not believe the research many have made to no
avail. As so frequently stated common~ sometimes uncommon~ names are of
little value.
I feel also that even some very common names differ between the US and
UK. Primrose and Rose of Sharon seem good examples. In UK they are Primula
and Hypericum sps. whereas the US seems to be Oenothera and ***[have
forgotten]
Best wishes.

Heck, common names can even differ from region to region within the US. That
is why there is botanical Latin - so that plant names are universal
regardless of one's native language or location. Rose of Sharon is
Hypericum in the UK?? That is new on on me! Hypericum in the US is commonly
known as St John's Wort and Rose of Sharon is Hibiscus. And primrose is
still used to commonly refer to primulas here also - 'evening primrose' is
the designator for Oenothera species.

pam - gardengal

Old 09-11-2003, 03:22 PM
brianflay

Many thanks Pam. The 'Primrose' I have noted might very well have been an
abbreviation for the Evening Primrose. We only use Primrose for our
delightful Primula vulgaris which is a common hedgerow flower in the spring.
Hypericums we can also call St. John's Wort but I've generally heard this as
a name for the wild forms. With no doubt at all our 'Rose of Sharon' is
Hypericum calycinum. Sometimes [rarely] known as Aaron's beard.
Two great nations separated only by their use of English!! Best Wishes
Brian.
"Pam - gardengal" wrote in message

"brianflay" wrote in message
[...]

[IMG] code is On

Buddah's belly stem Bryan Siy Bamboo 0 16-01-2008 08:14 AM
Buddha's Lantern? A common name? Jim W United Kingdom 17 09-11-2003 02:14 PM
Buddha's Lantern hermine stover Gardening 13 06-11-2003 06:42 PM
"Buddah's Lantern" question PATRICIA RIDDER Gardening 1 02-11-2003 02:42 AM
Chinese Lantern Charlie United Kingdom 4 20-04-2003 12:44 PM