Old 11-11-2003, 05:12 PM
Zbox

Default Rain Barrel for Irrigation

I'm moving into a house in the rural area and I picked up three 50
gallon plastic (clean) barrels that I would like to use to collect
rain water and then use the water to provide water to flower beds and
brushes around the house. The problem that I'm seeing is that the
barrels are around the back of the house, and the plants to be watered
are around front. Does anyone know of a pump that I can use that can
problem the pressure needed to pull water from the barrels and apply
the neccesary pressure 15 to 20 psi (I think) for a drip irrigation.
Does anyone have a simular set-up? I don't think the height of the
barrels (raise 1.5 feet above the ground) will provide enough
pressure.

I also plan to have the pump placed on a timer so that it only runs
every other day (also, a rain sensor will be added).

Thanks for any comments or ideas.
Old 11-11-2003, 06:32 PM
Frances Whited

I'm interested in the answer about the pump, because I have similar
set-up and problem. I had thought of using a cheap sump pump, but don't
know if that will work.

I can tell you that you're right -- 1.5 feet of elevation won't do it,
although it will help. We have ours elevated almost three fit and it
still isn't enough.

The one really cool thing about our rain barrels is that we have them
connected by siphon using sump pump hose, so we can draw from and fill
to a single barrel.

Frances
Old 12-11-2003, 04:42 AM
Judy and Dave G

"Zbox" wrote in message
om...
I'm moving into a house in the rural area and I picked up three 50
gallon plastic (clean) barrels that I would like to use to collect
rain water and then use the water to provide water to flower beds and
brushes around the house.

Hello gardening friends:

I use only rain barrels to water my flower beds. Unfortunately, I don't
have a choice. We live in a somewhat rural area. We do not have city
water. (The county has told us that we will probably never get it, not
enough houses in a mile. A mixed blessing.) We use cistern water for our
household (rain water from the roof is directed into the cistern which is a
stone lined big hole in the ground with a lid). The biggest problem with
roof water is dirt, leaves, etc. With the cistern we use a piece of
guttering which has 3 openings. The gutter pipe coming from the roof goes
in the top opening, then there is a lever type thing that directs the water
to one or the other openings. The rule is to let the rainwater run for at
least 10 minutes through the opening which goes to the ground, then turn the
lever and direct the water into the cistern. We also have a roof washer
which is a galvanized box with washed gravel and a foam filter type liner
(we invented our own and had a fabricator make it for us). Absolutely
amazing the amount of dirt.

My rain barrels for watering are the 55 gallon plastic kind, with one large
plastic tank enclosed in a galvanized exterior that used to hold soda pop
syrup. In about a year's time, I get about 6 inches of crud from
leaves/dirt/roof buildup in the bottom of the barrel, I don't use any
diverter for these barrels. I have enough of a slope from my one barrel to
water my one front bed. However, I cannot use any type of irrigation
system. The reason is that the dirt/crud clogs up all those little holes.
I get a forced relaxation because I have to use a hose and manually water
the beds, slowly. The other beds I have to carry my watering cans. When I
fertilize I have to use two 5-gallon buckets on a wagon. I add my
fertilizer to the bucket and then gravity feed the water to the bucket. It
takes a while to fill the bucket so I can use my watering can to take from
the full 5 gallon bucket while the other bucket fills.

And don't forget about mosquitoes! Those little guys appear in a matter of
hours into a water barrel. We have frogs by 2 of our barrels and they lay
their eggs and as they grow the eat the mosquitoes. The other 2 barrels
have a sunfish, or bluegill, in them. I can't figure out how, but the
bluegills survive the winter. We are in Northern Kentucky, so we can get
pretty cold and freezing. When I'm digging or just checking the flower beds
I try to find bad bugs or nightcrawlers and throw them into the barrels.

A long answer for your question. Sorry for the length. I'm not sure if I
even answered the question. ;o}

Judy

Old 12-11-2003, 12:02 PM
Dwight Sipler

Zbox wrote:

I'm moving into a house in the rural area and I picked up three 50
gallon plastic (clean) barrels that I would like to use to collect
rain water and then use the water to provide water to flower beds and
brushes around the house. The problem that I'm seeing is that the
barrels are around the back of the house, and the plants to be watered
are around front. Does anyone know of a pump that I can use that can
problem the pressure needed to pull water from the barrels and apply
the neccesary pressure 15 to 20 psi (I think) for a drip irrigation...

I've not been a fan of rain barrels since they're only full when it
rains and then you don't need to water. Rain water stored for any length
of time in containers can grow algae which will clog drip systems (if
light is excluded from the interior of the barrel, this can be avoided
to some extent, but the barrel has to be really opaque). Also, 150
gallons of water doesn't go very far on a garden. If you want 1" of rain
equivalent per week, that's 30,000 gallons/acre, or about 0.7 gallons
per square foot. Your 150 gallons will water around 200 square feet of
garden at that rate. 100 square feet if you have to water twice, etc. Of
course, that's assuming you're applying 1"/week of rain equivalent.

Having pointed out the negatives, I should also point out that you can
use maybe 10% of that just to keep plants alive, so it can be used on a
larger area if necessary, just not as effectively. You will find other
people who love their rain barrels. If the barrels take water from an
extended area (such as a large roof), you can multiply the amount of
rain water you get onto the garden by the ratio of the area of the roof
to the area of the garden.

The most effective way to use the rain water from the roof is to direct
the downspouts directly to the garden. The only drawbacks to this
approach are (1) the extra downspout plumbing (possible elevation and/or
routing problems) and (2) the possibility of erosion from a large flow
of water from the downspout. Don't try to restrict the flow of water in
the downspout: it needs enough flow to be able to clean out leaves and
debris.

I do use a barrel for water. I have a greenhouse with a buried hose from
the house to supply water. In the spring, the buried hose is frozen, so
I have to use a barrel in the greenhouse to supply water when I first
turn the greenhouse on. I bought a portable submersable sump pump at
Home Depot (about $50 10 years ago). It has a hose outlet. It provides
around 30psi for watering plants. In the greenhouse the 50 gallon barrel
lasts about 3 days tops before I have to fill it again. At that time I
have around 100 square feet of flats to water. (Some water is wasted in
the process, mostly by runoff). I don't use a rain barrel system for the
home garden, which is about 1/4 acre. My home water system (a well) can
supply it when necessary. The garden soil drains well, but not so well
that it can't retain some rain water for a week or two. We generally get
enough rain (in MA), so I only have to water it about once every other
year. I use a drip system since that's the most efficient type and I
have the equipment at hand.

Check into the pressure needed for the drip line. Some drip line will
operate on as little as 8 psi.

Rule of thumb: 1 foot of elevation equals 1/2 psi of water.

When you consider the cost of the pump, it may be cheaper to water the
garden from the house water supply, assuming you have a well. When you
consider the maintenance on the system, it's certainly a lot easier to
use the house water supply. Have you considered using grey water for the
garden? (Do not use it with a drip system -- it will clog quickly).
Old 12-11-2003, 04:02 PM
Zbox

Thanks everyone for your comments and suggests (and stories). As some
of you have stated how you use the rain barrels for gardens, please
understand that I'm only planning to use this to water a few bushes
and flowers around my house. By the way, I leave in the Dallas/Fort
Worth area and as far as roof size, the house is about 5000 sq ft (2
stories). I'm hoping that it will not take much rain to fill the
barrels. The barrels will be connected together so that once the
first one fills, it will overflow into the second, and once the second
one fills, it will overflow into the third. The third barrel will
simply overflow into the yard (out from the house). One thing I
didn't take into consideration was the fact that dirt will fill the
bottom of the barrels. I was thinking of having hoses connected to
the bottom of each barrel have having all three flow down into one
hose. This way I would be able to obtain water from all three
barrels. My orginal idea was to place an in-line pump on the hose
leading from the three barrel to provide added PSI for the drip hoses
located on the other side of the house.

As far as alge, the barrel are made of thick, black plastic. The
water going into the barrels would come from a downspout diverter
(with manual control). I'm hoping that the manual control will allow
me to divert the water after waiting a few minutes to allow the dirt
from the roof to wash away.

thanks again for your comments.
Old 12-11-2003, 06:42 PM
Lee

"Judy and Dave G" wrote in message ...

My rain barrels for watering are the 55 gallon plastic kind, with one large
plastic tank enclosed in a galvanized exterior that used to hold soda pop
syrup. In about a year's time, I get about 6 inches of crud from
leaves/dirt/roof buildup in the bottom of the barrel, I don't use any
diverter for these barrels. I have enough of a slope from my one barrel to
water my one front bed. However, I cannot use any type of irrigation
system. The reason is that the dirt/crud clogs up all those little holes.

Judy

Judy, this is similar to my barrell watering.. i access the water for
syphoning from the top of the barrel by attaching my syphone line to a
piece of styrofoam so it will float and secure screen wire over and
around it to form a fiter.. then what i did to my barrell was to take
a piece of screen wire and tape it with ,,,what else but the wonderful
duct tape!!!.. over the barrell to keep out leaves and mosquitoes. of
course you have to thread the hose through the screen before puttiing
the styrofoam and screen on it...

any way, this really worked quite well.. no mosquitoes.. no way for
the hose to clog and it got plenty of air to do it's thing. i also
added compost to the water at times to make it into a tea. wonderful
for the plants. didn't even have to have an air pump on it.
just an idea for you to kick around.
lee h

Old 12-11-2003, 08:02 PM
Zemedelec

If you also live in a mosquito area, be sure to buy some mosquito-eating fish.
You can usually get the little buggers free or nearly so from your local Ag
dept.
zemedelec
Old 13-11-2003, 01:02 AM
Judy and Dave G

"Lee" wrote in message
om...
Judy, this is similar to my barrell watering.. i access the water for
syphoning from the top of the barrel by attaching my syphone line to a
piece of styrofoam so it will float and secure screen wire over and
around it to form a fiter.. then what i did to my barrell was to take
a piece of screen wire and tape it with ,,,what else but the wonderful
duct tape!!!.. over the barrell to keep out leaves and mosquitoes. of
course you have to thread the hose through the screen before puttiing
the styrofoam and screen on it...

any way, this really worked quite well.. no mosquitoes.. no way for
the hose to clog and it got plenty of air to do it's thing. i also
added compost to the water at times to make it into a tea. wonderful
for the plants. didn't even have to have an air pump on it.
just an idea for you to kick around.
lee h

Hi Lee

I like this idea. Thanks. I'm gonna try it.

Judy

Old 13-11-2003, 04:02 PM
Lee

"Judy and Dave G" wrote in message ...
"Lee" wrote in message
om...
[...]

incidentally, i had the barrell placed under the eves behind a storage
shed so rain went into it, but also supplemented from the water
company. put bits of composted cow manure ( chips rom sons ranch), egg
shells, fish emulsion, and a bit of superthrive in it occsionally.

lee h