Old 16-11-2003, 08:22 PM
Grandpa

Default Starting Bamboo

I'm in Albuquerque, NM - Zone 7. Wife wants a bamboo tree(s), clump,
bush, whatever term you'd like to apply. She got a single cutting from
one and wants to start it growing but neither of us know anything about
them. Will they start rooting if left in water like many other plant &
tree cuttings do or do they require special treatment?

Old 17-11-2003, 03:42 AM
Travis

Grandpa wrote:
I'm in Albuquerque, NM - Zone 7. Wife wants a bamboo tree(s),
clump, bush, whatever term you'd like to apply. She got a
single cutting from one and wants to start it growing but
neither of us know anything about them. Will they start
rooting if left in water like many other plant & tree cuttings
do or do they require special treatment?

You might try asking in (rec.gardens bamboo). I'm not a bamboo expert
but as I understand it some bamboo's will root from culm cuttings but I
think they are mostly tropicals.

USDA Zone 8b
Sunset Zone 5

Old 17-11-2003, 07:12 AM
hermine stover

On Sun, 16 Nov 2003 13:17:40 -0700, Grandpa jsdebooATcomcast.net
wrote:

I'm in Albuquerque, NM - Zone 7. Wife wants a bamboo tree(s), clump,
bush, whatever term you'd like to apply. She got a single cutting from
one and wants to start it growing but neither of us know anything about
them. Will they start rooting if left in water like many other plant &
tree cuttings do or do they require special treatment?

Some of the tropical clumping bamboos will root in water from a single
node cutting with a viable bud....however, it is not the best way to
go about it. I wonder if this is really a bamboo, or something like
Dracaena sanderiana, which has been marketed extensively under the
name Lucky Bamboo, grown in water and pebbles, perhaps.

the bigger answer is, propagation of bamboo is not generally done it
water...because it does not work that well.

however, there is no reason why you cannot grow some real bamboo where
you live. If you pick the right kind.

Old 17-11-2003, 07:32 AM
hermine stover

Will they start
rooting if left in water like many other plant & tree cuttings
do or do they require special treatment?

You might try asking in (rec.gardens bamboo). I'm not a bamboo expert
but as I understand it some bamboo's will root from culm cuttings but I
think they are mostly tropicals.

The tropical clumping bamboos, the Bambusas, Gigantochloas and the
like, some more easilly than others. But still, not in water.
One may take a two node cutting of Bambusa vulgaris vitata and drill a
hole in between, fill with water and seal with grafting wax. this will
then shoot stems and leaf out, i have seen this hanging in a friend's
greenouse, but it needs to be planted in earth to root out. this is
one of the easiest of all bamboos to propagate from culm (cane)
cuttings. in a good year i have rooted branchlets this way.
hermine
Old 17-11-2003, 08:12 AM
griffon

Grandpa jsdebooATcomcast.net, wrote:

I'm in Albuquerque, NM - Zone 7. Wife wants a bamboo tree(s), clump,
bush, whatever term you'd like to apply. She got a single cutting from
one and wants to start it growing but neither of us know anything about
them. Will they start rooting if left in water like many other plant &
tree cuttings do or do they require special treatment?

I have had very poor results trying to start new bamboo from cuttings.
So no advice I have would be overly useful on that matter.

If you are interested in bamboo in general, there are two kinds of
bamboo, at least in terms of growth. Clumping and running. Clumping
bamboo tends to spread outwards very slowly, eventually forming a nice
thick clump. Running bamboo is more aggresive in spreading outwards
and sends out rhizomes, which new shoots sprout from. Running bamboo
can be fairly slow to spread or extremely fast spreading and
toublesome for gardeners who were not educated of the plants's
behavior.

But there are plenty of lovely bamboos that are hardy in zone 7. Do a
google search for cold hardy bamboo and start reading up on them if
you want to grow any. Stay away from running bamboo unless you have
adequate room to grow it and/or are willing to buy a barrier to put in
the ground up to 36 inches deep in order to cointain the spread.

Old 17-11-2003, 08:02 PM
Grandpa

Thanks everyone for your responses. Looks like we have a lot to learn
about bamboo, I'd no idea there were so many different varieties so its
off the the library, nursery and good old reliable Google.