Old 21-11-2003, 02:02 PM
aussie gal

Default How does one kill plants?

Hello everyone, never posted here before but I sure hope I can get some
help.

I have a patch in my garden which I would dearly like to kill everything
off--plants, shrubs and grass--since I will be placing clay bricks in
this position in 2 months. Can anyone tell me what chemical/s I could
use to permanently kill every living plant in this area?

Many thanks in advance.

PS I've tried salt, it has worked but not as well as I had hoped for.
Weed killer has also worked on the smallish plants and grasses, but the
bigger plants seem to be resisting it.

Old 21-11-2003, 02:12 PM
Frogleg

On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 00:50:30 +1100, aussie gal wrote:

I have a patch in my garden which I would dearly like to kill everything
off--plants, shrubs and grass--since I will be placing clay bricks in
this position in 2 months. Can anyone tell me what chemical/s I could
use to permanently kill every living plant in this area?

PS I've tried salt, it has worked but not as well as I had hoped for.
Weed killer has also worked on the smallish plants and grasses, but the
bigger plants seem to be resisting it.

Do you have RoundUp in Oz? Glyphosate is the active ingredient, which
is pretty effective on anything that doesn't have waxy, impermeable
foliage.

Very little will kill everything *permanently*. Glyphosate will kill
the existing plant down to the root, but will not prevent other seeds
from germinating. If you don't mortar between your bricks, some plant
life may emerge in the tiniest spaces.

Don't know what you mean by "bigger plants." RoundUp will probably
kill a bush, but won't dissolve the structure. That is, you will still
need to chop/remove the dead debris.

Old 21-11-2003, 07:05 PM
Shell91

Hmmm...One of the fastest ways I know of is let me come and try to keep the
plants alive.

But seriously, if there are large bushes or even small trees one of the best
ways is to dig them out and then when you lay the bricks put down mortar
instead of just sand. This should keep anything from coming up in the
spaces between the bricks.

Shell

Old 22-11-2003, 02:04 AM
canuckistani

snip

Can anyone tell me what chemical/s I could
use to permanently kill every living plant in this area?

endsnip

Ain't THAT a snapshot of where the human race is at, eh? Ah hell, what's the
point. Between this one dousing glyphosate in Oz and ol'Chantal wanting
illegal 2.4-D in Quebec, there are millions more doing their 'better living
through chemistry' thing. All that matters is 'easy' and 'fast' and no
'dirt' will grow plants that harbor yucky bugs.
Darwin cackles in his grave.

John H. Immink
Victoria BC Canada

Old 22-11-2003, 02:22 AM
Zemedelec

Subject: How does one kill plants? BRBR

Until I read further, I was going to say "fuss over them too much." Beginning
with too much water, of course.
zemedelec
Old 22-11-2003, 04:02 AM
jrstark

aussie gal wrote:

Hello everyone, never posted here before but I sure hope I can get some
help.

I have a patch in my garden which I would dearly like to kill everything
off--plants, shrubs and grass--since I will be placing clay bricks in
this position in 2 months. Can anyone tell me what chemical/s I could
use to permanently kill every living plant in this area?

Many thanks in advance.

PS I've tried salt, it has worked but not as well as I had hoped for.
Weed killer has also worked on the smallish plants and grasses, but the
bigger plants seem to be resisting it.

I just dug up everything in the area. Didn't have any large bushes
where I wanted the bricks though. Did have a weed sapling, we chopped
it down and dug out the root.

I did use a 2-inch pea gravel base followed by 2 inches of limestone
screenings. Nothing is growing between my bricks except for the
birdseed that falls on top. And that is easy enough to sweep out.

I used the concrete patio pavers, have very little space between them.
I swept more screenings between the bricks, and keep some on hand to
refresh/clean the area when necessary. Just drop some down, give a
gentle spray of water, and sweep it across using a stiff-bristle
pushbroom. Looks almost paved when it dries until it gets covered with
muddy dog footprints again.

Janine

Old 22-11-2003, 06:22 PM
Dave Gower

"Frogleg" wrote

Do you have RoundUp in Oz? Glyphosate is the active ingredient, which
is pretty effective on anything that doesn't have waxy, impermeable
foliage.

You can kill anything with roundup, but if it has waxy leaves you may need
to cut away a portion of bark (this could be done at the same time as
trimming back the foliage on the plant) and paint straight Roundup on the
wound with a brush. This technique also has the advantage of preventing
accidental over-spray.

Old 22-11-2003, 09:02 PM
Peter Jason

I have murdered intractable clumps of grass by enclosing tem in carboard
tubes and spraying with Roundup. The advantage is that the Roundup kills
the roots too, and the cardboard tubes prevent any overspray.

"Frogleg" wrote

Old 25-11-2003, 06:22 AM
Snogoose

Just give them to me, I am expert at killikg tree or any plant for that
matter.
Sno, another Aussie girl

Old 25-11-2003, 04:02 PM
Beecrofter

aussie gal wrote in message ...
Hello everyone, never posted here before but I sure hope I can get some
help.

I have a patch in my garden which I would dearly like to kill everything
off--plants, shrubs and grass--since I will be placing clay bricks in
this position in 2 months. Can anyone tell me what chemical/s I could
use to permanently kill every living plant in this area?

Wait until you meet my dog Phyto!
Old 27-11-2003, 04:42 PM
Salty Thumb

aussie gal wrote in :

Hello everyone, never posted here before but I sure hope I can get some
help.

I have a patch in my garden which I would dearly like to kill everything
off--plants, shrubs and grass--since I will be placing clay bricks in
this position in 2 months. Can anyone tell me what chemical/s I could
use to permanently kill every living plant in this area?

Many thanks in advance.

PS I've tried salt, it has worked but not as well as I had hoped for.
Weed killer has also worked on the smallish plants and grasses, but the
bigger plants seem to be resisting it.

Have you tried dingo or kangaroo urine?
Old 27-11-2003, 04:42 PM
Roy

Just let my wife take care of them for awhile. She can probably kill
Kudzu
I had no input whatsoever.
Remove "nospam" from email addy.