Old 21-11-2003, 02:02 PM
aussie gal

Default How does one kill plants?

Hello everyone, never posted here before but I sure hope I can get some
help.

I have a patch in my garden which I would dearly like to kill everything
off--plants, shrubs and grass--since I will be placing clay bricks in
this position in 2 months. Can anyone tell me what chemical/s I could
use to permanently kill every living plant in this area?

Many thanks in advance.

PS I've tried salt, it has worked but not as well as I had hoped for.
Weed killer has also worked on the smallish plants and grasses, but the
bigger plants seem to be resisting it.

Old 21-11-2003, 04:10 PM
martin

On Fri, 21 Nov 2003 15:25:15 -0000, CW
wrote:

I'm only really lurking in this newsgroup as I know jack shit about
gardening - but when I had a problem with weeds outside my garage I
poured some petrol over them and they didnt come back for about a year .

"Was it Bill? Was it Ben?"
--
Martin

Old 21-11-2003, 04:29 PM
Franz Heymann

"aussie gal" wrote in message
Hello everyone, never posted here before but I sure hope I can get some
help.

I have a patch in my garden which I would dearly like to kill everything
off--plants, shrubs and grass--since I will be placing clay bricks in
this position in 2 months. Can anyone tell me what chemical/s I could
use to permanently kill every living plant in this area?

In the growing season, glyphosate is pretty good at it.
I hesitate to suggest the use of liberal doses of sodiunm chlotate, because
I don't know what happens next to the patch you want to kill.

I wonder if mid-January is going to be a propitious time for mucking about
outside with clay bricks. What do you propose to put below the bricks?

Franz

Old 21-11-2003, 04:29 PM
Ron Clark

On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 00:40:10 +1100, aussie gal wrote:

Hello everyone, never posted here before but I sure hope I can get some
help.

I have a patch in my garden which I would dearly like to kill everything
off--plants, shrubs and grass--since I will be placing clay bricks in
this position in 2 months. Can anyone tell me what chemical/s I could
use to permanently kill every living plant in this area?

Many thanks in advance.

Agent Orange has been shown to be efficacious but
seriously, there are commercially-available total herbicides
around and you could also incorporate a plastic liner under a couple
of inches of hardcore

--
®óñ© © ²°°³

Old 21-11-2003, 04:30 PM
Franz Heymann

"Franz Heymann" wrote in message

"aussie gal" wrote in message
Hello everyone, never posted here before but I sure hope I can get some
help.

I have a patch in my garden which I would dearly like to kill everything
off--plants, shrubs and grass--since I will be placing clay bricks in
this position in 2 months. Can anyone tell me what chemical/s I could
use to permanently kill every living plant in this area?

In the growing season, glyphosate is pretty good at it.
I hesitate to suggest the use of liberal doses of sodiunm chlotate,

Another damn typo. Chlorate.

Old 21-11-2003, 05:40 PM
Larry Stoter

aussie gal wrote:

Hello everyone, never posted here before but I sure hope I can get some
help.

I have a patch in my garden which I would dearly like to kill everything
off--plants, shrubs and grass--since I will be placing clay bricks in
this position in 2 months. Can anyone tell me what chemical/s I could
use to permanently kill every living plant in this area?

Many thanks in advance.

PS I've tried salt, it has worked but not as well as I had hoped for.
Weed killer has also worked on the smallish plants and grasses, but the
bigger plants seem to be resisting it.

I've never tried it but ...

Bearing in mind that Coca Cola strips oil stains from concrete, cleans
up corroded metal, brings coins back to mint-like condition, and has the
added advantage of being cheap and safe (well, you can drink it by the
gallon with minimal short term problems), I'd try pouring Coca Cola all
over it. Probably best to do it when the ground is fairly dry and there
is no rain expected for a while.

And I am being serious - if you give it a try, I'd love to know if it
works.
--
Larry Stoter
Old 21-11-2003, 06:50 PM
kenty ;-\)

why does everyone suggest chemicals? Get stuck in and pull the plants &
weeds you dont want out.Level off put down landscape fabric,then put
whatever you want on top,mulch,pebbles, patio etc.You shoudnt have any
problems with weeds coming back with landscape fabric,but you will with
chemicals!!
kenty;-)
"Larry Stoter" wrote in message
.uk...

Old 22-11-2003, 02:08 AM
Wil

For spot killing of grass or weeds you can pour boiling water on them. You
can also use a shovel, loosen the soil and pull out all the weeds and roots
by hand. Or go to a garden center where they know about plants, ask for a
weed and grass killer. In the US we have RoundUp. Don't know what it is
called in the UK. Don't pour petrol on it.
http://www.epinions.com/hmgd-Lawn_an...d_Grass_Killer
--

Wil

Old 22-11-2003, 02:08 AM
Alan Gabriel

"Franz Heymann" wrote in message

snip Another damn typo. Chlorate.

Always proof read in case you have left any out.

--
Regards,
Alan.

Preserve wildlife - Pickle a SQUIRREL to reply.