Old 21-11-2003, 07:32 PM
Shell91

Default The Great Lithops and Cacti Experiment

Well, it has begun. Day one of the great lithops and cacti experiment. I
recieved my seeds yesterday and will plant them this weekend. Here's hoping
they do well.

Shell

Old 22-11-2003, 02:04 AM
Cereoid-UR12-

Sorry, Shell.

Millions have successfully grown succulents from seeds before you and there
is nothing experimental about it. Especially if you follow the directions.

y.com...

Old 22-11-2003, 02:04 AM
Shell91

"Cereoid-UR12-" wrote in message
. com...
Sorry, Shell.

Millions have successfully grown succulents from seeds before you and

there
is nothing experimental about it. Especially if you follow the directions.

My what a litteral mind you have.

Shell

y.com...

Old 22-11-2003, 03:42 AM
animaux

On Fri, 21 Nov 2003 23:39:45 GMT, "Shell91" opined:

My what a litteral mind you have.

Shell

Ah, he's just cranky.

You will be very successful with the lithops. They are extremely easy to grow
from seed. Just don't be tempted to over water them. Evenly moist, relatively
warm soil and plenty of light. I've done it many times. I love cactus now as
houseplants. I used to water everything to death, now I go months at a time
without watering my cacti and they are all thriving on neglect.

Old 22-11-2003, 05:02 PM
Zemedelec

The great thing about lithops (other than not looking like plants) is NO
THORNS.
zemedelec
Old 22-11-2003, 08:22 PM
animaux

Plenty of light means about one foot away from a very sunny southern exposure
window. They will not do well on the table in the middle of the room.

On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 05:27:32 GMT, "Shell91" opined:

Great, I think they will do fine in the middle of the dining room table

Thanks
Shell

.. .

Old 22-11-2003, 08:32 PM
Shell91

I spent several years in Arizona and New Mexico and Colorado and I come from
West Texas where thorny things abound. I agree

Shell

Old 22-11-2003, 08:42 PM
Shell91

My dining room is extremely bright all day long but I also have a nice south
facing set of sliding doors where I can set them up on a small table.

Shell

"animaux" wrote in message
Plenty of light means about one foot away from a very sunny southern

exposure
window. They will not do well on the table in the middle of the room.

On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 05:27:32 GMT, "Shell91"

opined:

Great, I think they will do fine in the middle of the dining room

table

Thanks
Shell

.. .

Old 22-11-2003, 09:42 PM

wrote:

"Cereoid-UR12-" wrote in message
.com...
Sorry, Shell.

Millions have successfully grown succulents from seeds before you and

there
is nothing experimental about it. Especially if you follow the directions.

My what a litteral mind you have.

Shell

If anything, Steve (Cereoid) has a littoral mind, because he "shore"
knows what he is talking about with cacti and succulents. But as Vic
has said elsewhere in this thread, be very careful about the watering,
especially in the short days and low light levels of winter months,
since any more than minimal watering at well spaced intervals can turn
your impressive lithops grown from seed into "mush" (been there, done
that with just a few of mine!!)

Geoff
(Scotland, where winter days are particularly short!)