Old 24-05-2004, 03:06 PM
Benign Vanilla

Default The Great Dye Experiment

So I was at Big Orange this weekend, and wandered down the pond aisle. They
had these blue dye tablets that contain "enzymes" to eat the muck at the
bottom of the pond. The idea here being, tint the water and your algae will
die. I have about 3000 gallons, so I bought enough for about 1200 gallons.

Results...

....either I have less water or these things really work...my water is very
disturbingly blue.
....the algae seem to be affected as just after a day and the water is tinted
but clearer
....the tables stain your skin
....the fish, frogs, etc do not seem bothered by the dye at all
....not sure I would ever do this again.

BV.

Old 24-05-2004, 05:09 PM
Gale Pearce

Just what this group needs - a sacrificial guinea pig :~ Seriously,
these tablets sound intriguing - are they supposed to be a one time
treatment, as needed, or how often? Does the water clear of it's own accord
or are water changes needed to remove the tint. Was there a brand name for
them?
Gale :~)

Old 24-05-2004, 06:03 PM
Benign Vanilla

"Gale Pearce" wrote in message
Just what this group needs - a sacrificial guinea pig :~

Seriously,
these tablets sound intriguing - are they supposed to be a one time
treatment, as needed, or how often? Does the water clear of it's own

accord
or are water changes needed to remove the tint. Was there a brand name for
them?

snip

As I understand it. They are a use as needed treatment. Turn the water
blueish, kill the algea by starving the sunlight. Meanhwhile the enzymes
east the sludge at the bottom of the pond. I cannot attest to any of these
claims, except the algae clearing. After the first day, my water was
noticeable clearer.

You can read the details from the manufacturer, here.
http://tinyurl.com/yrqpk.

BV.

Old 24-05-2004, 11:07 PM
Snooze

"Benign Vanilla" wrote in message

As I understand it. They are a use as needed treatment. Turn the water
blueish, kill the algea by starving the sunlight. Meanhwhile the enzymes
east the sludge at the bottom of the pond. I cannot attest to any of these
claims, except the algae clearing. After the first day, my water was
noticeable clearer.

You can read the details from the manufacturer, here.
http://tinyurl.com/yrqpk.

One of my buddies lives in an apartment complex that has this "river"
flowing between the buildings. To keep the kids from treating it as a pool,
they dye it green. It's not even pea-soup green, it's bright lime green.

As for using the dye in the pond, maybe as a one time deal for when you're
having a party and want to show off your clear blue water..otherwise a
little bit silly.

Snooze

Old 25-05-2004, 01:05 PM
joy2wrld

Just saw this post regarding the dye experiment. I've used Mrs. Smith's
blueing (found in the laundry section of larger grocery stores or
hardware's). Your grandmother used it to brighten white closes and people
today even put in their birdbaths.

Mrs. Smith's blueing (I use the whole bottle for my 1300+ pond) does turn
the pond blue and starves the algae. The great thing about Mrs. Smith's
blueing is it disappears within 2-3 weeks. Then your plants are blooming
and you have enough shade that you don't need it any more. I find two
bottles of this stuff takes care of the problem. Try it -- it does work. I
sort of like the color -- it darkens pond and shows off the plants.

Joy
om...

Old 25-05-2004, 05:21 PM
Ka30P

Joy wrote I've used Mrs. Smith's
blueing

Many years ago I used it to brighten my palomino's tail for horse shows. Only a
teenage
horse crazy girl would stand around holding a heavy water and blueing filled
bucket with her horse's tail in it for 20 minutes. I don't even waste that much
time on my own hair nowadays!

kathy :-)
Old 25-05-2004, 05:21 PM
Benign Vanilla

"Snooze" wrote in message
om...
[...]

I was hoping it would do the job of helping my plants beat out the algae, by
tinting the water so the algae is starved. We'll see how silly in a few
days. LOL.

BV.

Old 25-05-2004, 05:22 PM
Benign Vanilla

"Ka30P" wrote in message
Joy wrote I've used Mrs. Smith's
blueing

Many years ago I used it to brighten my palomino's tail for horse shows.

Only a
teenage
horse crazy girl would stand around holding a heavy water and blueing

filled
bucket with her horse's tail in it for 20 minutes. I don't even waste that

much
time on my own hair nowadays!

I am so overloaded with silly comments about this, that I don't even know
where to begin...

BV.

Old 25-05-2004, 05:25 PM
Ka30P

BV wrote I am so overloaded with silly comments about this, that I don't
even know
where to begin...

Well, then wait until I tell you about vacuuming his coat, boot blacking his
hooves and using vaseline on his.... ahem.... under tail parts - luckily he was
a gelding ;-)

kathy :-)
Old 25-05-2004, 05:25 PM
Benign Vanilla

"Ka30P" wrote in message
BV wrote I am so overloaded with silly comments about this, that I

don't
even know
where to begin...

Well, then wait until I tell you about vacuuming his coat, boot blacking

his
hooves and using vaseline on his.... ahem.... under tail parts - luckily

he was
a gelding ;-)

STOP!!! STOP!!!

I am frothing like Beavis and Butthead in a proctologist office...you must
STOP!!! STOP NOW!!!!

BV.

Old 25-05-2004, 06:11 PM
Ka30P

BV wrote .you must
STOP!!! STOP NOW!!!!

Hey, you started it, what with dying your
pond and all! Note that this method was
never included in the all encompassing algae
primer. This should have told you something,
but no.... you had to go dye your hands blue.
And just for that.... let me threaten to tell
you how to keep a horse from pooping in the
show ring...

kathy :-)
Old 25-05-2004, 06:13 PM
Benign Vanilla

"Ka30P" wrote in message
BV wrote .you must
STOP!!! STOP NOW!!!!

Hey, you started it, what with dying your
pond and all! Note that this method was
never included in the all encompassing algae
primer. This should have told you something,
but no.... you had to go dye your hands blue.
And just for that.... let me threaten to tell
you how to keep a horse from pooping in the
show ring...

AGGAHAHAAHHHHH!!?!??!?!?!?!

HOW? HOW? HOW?
And what's the vaseline for?
What do you wear when you do this?
Do you have to buy the horse a drink first?
What no foreplay?
What position do you use?

AHHAHAH...I can't stop...JMK HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELP!!!!!

BV.

Old 26-05-2004, 01:14 AM
*muffin*

And just for that.... let me threaten to tell
you how to keep a horse from pooping in the
show ring...

ok, you got me interested.
: )

daughter shows horses, does all the other grooming previously mentioned,,
but I never heard you could STOP a horse from pooping IN the ring ( btw, I
never heard that count against an exhibiter........ dog shows, yes).

(now if there is a miraculous way to keep a gelding from , ummm exhibiting
himself during halter & showmanship...... , whomps under the belly with
the whip, is the only way for that we knew of)

Old 26-05-2004, 02:11 AM
joe

Ooooh, ouch. Cringing just thinking about that.

Joe