Old 22-11-2003, 02:04 AM
Shell91

Default Grow Lights

I'm in the market for a few good grow lights for orchids, houseplants, and
my succulents. I know little or nothing about these lights, does anyone
have any recommendations on an inexpensive easy to use light? I need
something simple to set up and portable since I tend to move my plants
around a good bit.

Can I just use regular light fixtures or lamps and buy special bulbs or do I
need to get a special light of some kind?

Any and all help is appreciated

Shell

Old 22-11-2003, 03:32 AM
Bill Litchfield

"Shell91" wrote in message
y.com...
I'm in the market for a few good grow lights for orchids, houseplants, and
my succulents. I know little or nothing about these lights, does anyone
have any recommendations on an inexpensive easy to use light? I need
something simple to set up and portable since I tend to move my plants
around a good bit.

Can I just use regular light fixtures or lamps and buy special bulbs or do

need to get a special light of some kind?

Any and all help is appreciated

I use plain ol' 25 watt flouresant shop lights for my indoor seedlings and
plants. The fixtures are about ten bucks apiece, and the lamps are around a
buck apiece. Of course, one can spend a whole lot more, but why?

Regards,
Bill

Shell

Old 22-11-2003, 04:02 AM

anything fluorescent will work. Ingrid

"Shell91" wrote:

I'm in the market for a few good grow lights for orchids, houseplants, and
my succulents. I know little or nothing about these lights, does anyone
have any recommendations on an inexpensive easy to use light? I need
something simple to set up and portable since I tend to move my plants
around a good bit.

Can I just use regular light fixtures or lamps and buy special bulbs or do I
need to get a special light of some kind?

Any and all help is appreciated

Shell

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.

Old 24-11-2003, 06:22 AM
Sherwin Dubren

Hi,
Be aware that there are 'shop light' flourecents available in most
garden and home center stores with a 'warmer' spectrum. I have two
fixtures that each hold two lamps. In each fixture, I use one of each
type of the regular flourecents mixed with one of the warmer spectrum.
My feeling is that the seedlings will benefit more from the wider
spectrums of both types.
If anyone has thoughts to the contrary, I would like to hear about it.

Sherwin Dubren

Old 14-04-2011, 05:54 PM
Registered User

You will want to consider the use of lights in the indoor growing area of ​​growth with great caution because it is a major aspect, it will affect your gardening business a success. There are several new growth lights, including the very popular HID lamps, high pressure sodium grow lights, LED lights growth, expansion, and MH lamps. These are the growth of hydroponic gardening lights, and all can be used in soil and plant growth.
__________________
hydroponics
Old 20-12-2011, 03:44 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shell91 View Post
I'm in the market for a few good grow lights for orchids, houseplants, and
my succulents. I know little or nothing about these lights, does anyone
have any recommendations on an inexpensive easy to use light? I need
something simple to set up and portable since I tend to move my plants
around a good bit.

Can I just use regular light fixtures or lamps and buy special bulbs or do I
need to get a special light of some kind?

Any and all help is appreciated

Shell
yes , i know that ! You can use HPS grow light and you can also use LED grow light ,if you don't mind , i can offer you some infomation about both of them .
Old 26-12-2011, 01:31 PM
Registered User

Location: Norfolk U.K

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowardAllen View Post
yes , i know that ! You can use HPS grow light and you can also use LED grow light ,if you don't mind , i can offer you some infomation about both of them .

Hi,
Unfortunetly I don't know wether orchids need red or blue light, as they tend to like a bit of shade I would have thought it is more likely they would be in the blue camp. But that is only a guess.
What I do know is Tomatoes need blue light [florescent tubes] and chrysanthemums need red [tungsten filament bulbs] and one doesn't work well on the other. I noticed a thread on orchids, try asking on there.
All the best Paul Rix [oldgeezer]

Old 01-03-2012, 06:57 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shell91 View Post
I'm in the market for a few good grow lights for orchids, houseplants, and
my succulents. I know little or nothing about these lights, does anyone
have any recommendations on an inexpensive easy to use light? I need
something simple to set up and portable since I tend to move my plants
around a good bit.

Can I just use regular light fixtures or lamps and buy special bulbs or do I
need to get a special light of some kind?

Any and all help is appreciated

Shell
you may use the LED grow light, The LED Grow Light is one of the most technologically advanced LED lights available. Featuring high powered 3 Watt emitters, it helps produce massive vegetative growth. The LED uses less energy than traditional M.H. or H.P.S. lamps, produces less heat, and comes complete with a built in cooling fan. Its compact size is perfect for all gardeners, and its unique chainable design allows for easy expansion.
Old 01-03-2012, 10:50 AM
Registered User

Location: California

Grow lights enhance plant growth by putting out an electromagnetic spectrum that is designed to benefit photosynthesis. Using grow lights with your hydroponic system helps to produce bigger, tastier vegetables than those grown using traditional methods. Another benefit to using grow lights is the ability to grow your favorite vegetables at any time of the year, no matter where you live or what season you are in. Get the best grow lights at Advanced Nutrients
__________________
Fruit Trees
Old 02-03-2012, 11:23 PM
Registered User

I live in Ottawa capital of Canada, an I find the best lights for ur money value are from two places. First is from Lee Valley tools. T5 Full-Spectrum Lights - Lee Valley Tools Second is from a local pharmacy, the main things between them is their colour temperature is about 6500 kelvin. which is as close to the sun as i can get for cheap. i did pick up a light meter from lee valley as well to see how far i needed the lights. All my plants seem to be doing wonderfully.

[IMG] code is On

grow lights Miles Long Gardening 5 15-10-2003 11:42 PM
florescent grow light lights bobby Plant Biology 2 09-10-2003 01:42 PM
high-density sodium lamps as grow lights? Jeffrey Barker Edible Gardening 6 29-04-2003 05:08 PM
Lights On / Lights Off... is this OK? Bill Beam Freshwater Aquaria Plants 3 20-04-2003 06:22 AM
Lights On / Lights Off... is this OK? Bill Beam Freshwater Aquaria Plants 6 15-02-2003 01:54 PM