Old 29-11-2003, 01:42 PM
Cereoid-UR12-

Default Poinsettia Question

That's Poinsettia.

Euphorbia pulcherrima is a shrub not a succulent.

The plant will survive and grow for years but getting it bloom again is
another story.

Shell wrote in message
m...
I have just gotten a beautiful Poinsetta. I want it to survive the
Christmas season. Has anyone managed to keep one going and how did you do
this? I believe they are more of a succulent? I think someone said they
were a type of Euphorbia?

Shell

Old 29-11-2003, 03:02 PM
Frogleg

On Sat, 29 Nov 2003 13:35:21 GMT, "Cereoid-UR12-"
wrote:

Shell wrote

I have just gotten a beautiful Poinsetta. I want it to survive the
Christmas season. Has anyone managed to keep one going and how did you do
this? I believe they are more of a succulent? I think someone said they
were a type of Euphorbia?

That's Poinsettia.

Euphorbia pulcherrima is a shrub not a succulent.

The plant will survive and grow for years but getting it bloom again is
another story.

There are bezillions of references on the web on how to keep the
plants and force them to "rebloom" (has a lot to do with light).
Search on:

poinsettia care

However, it's rather a pain. Since lovely nursery-grown plants are
available relatively cheaply each holiday season, many believe
enjoying premium plants for a short time and then tossing them is the
better route. They are a native of southern Mexico -- that is, a
tropical plant.
Old 29-11-2003, 06:15 PM
Shell

I've found several good information sites but I did not know they were a
southern Mexico native. Thanks for the information

Shell

"Frogleg" wrote in message
On Sat, 29 Nov 2003 13:35:21 GMT, "Cereoid-UR12-"

Shell wrote

Old 29-11-2003, 11:12 PM
madgardener

just to let you know, Lowes got a good deal this year with ColorPoint
their distributing nursery and Poinsettia's are 3 @ $4.96 for six inch
pots..........(red only) but they also have pink and cream varigated
ones, purple leafed ones, creamy whitish green and a few that were
purple with white edges (those went fast). Just thought I'd let you
know. And they are a booger to get to rebloom........just remember
those "flower's" are really bracts and the actual flowers are the
clusters up in the top surrounded by those colorful leaves on top.
(think of dogwoods and those petals not being the flowers either but
the center of the dogwoods "petals" are the actual flowers too. And
Cereoid is right, they're a euphorbia, and according to ColorPoint's
educational moment with their vendor's, not poisonious to children and
small animals, it would take 500 leaves to make a child sick. I
wonder about that..............................I got violently ill
when I wiped my hand over my upper lip when I had pulled common spurge
and hallucinated and was nauseous for hours afterwards when I absently
licked my lips. Oh well. Good luck with your endeavor and let us know
if you're successful!
madgardener

[IMG] code is On

Poinsettia chaz Gardening 3 01-12-2003 12:42 PM
When can I plant a Poinsettia? Kabana Australia 2 05-08-2003 08:37 AM
How long could poinsettia last????? TOM KAN PA Gardening 4 13-02-2003 05:25 PM
Pruning poinsettia... Marcus Fox United Kingdom 0 11-01-2003 01:42 PM
Poinsettia pigment... Marcus Fox United Kingdom 3 28-12-2002 03:25 PM