Old 29-11-2003, 11:22 PM
BeBop

Default fern? help

i have recently acquired a fern which the roots grow on the surface of
the soil...like air roots....they are hairy like a tarantula spider
legs.
the fronds and leaves grow from these roots. they are small and very
delicate.
can anyone identify this fern for me please?

thanks.
Old 30-11-2003, 12:42 AM
Pam - gardengal

"BeBop" wrote in message
i have recently acquired a fern which the roots grow on the surface of
the soil...like air roots....they are hairy like a tarantula spider
legs.
the fronds and leaves grow from these roots. they are small and very
delicate.
can anyone identify this fern for me please?

thanks.

Sounds like a rabbit's foot fern - Davillia or Humata. Those furry
extensions are rhizomes, not roots, but you can cut them off and root them
to start new plants. A great little fern and quite hardy, too - I have one
that has lived outdoors in zone 8 for about 3 years.

pam - gardengal

Old 30-11-2003, 01:02 PM
SugarChile

They are also very durable and carefree as houseplants. I've had one for
over a dozen years. It hangs in a north window, and gets watered once a
week. It always looks fresh and attractive. I repotted it once, a few
years ago, when the rhizomes got so numerous that they cracked the pot.

Cheers,
Sue

--

Zone 6, South-central PA

"Pam - gardengal" wrote

Old 30-11-2003, 03:02 PM
Pam - gardengal

They are only supposed to be hardy in zones 10 and 11, so I would assume
only in a frost free area. However, like I said, one of mine has been
outdoors consistantly for about 3 years and during that time has experienced
some very cold weather - we had a weeklong spell in the 20's in October. It
is in a protected area, but they are sold here as houseplants. This just
happened to be one houseplant that never made it back indoors after its
summer vacation.

pam - gardengal