Old 17-12-2003, 06:32 AM
B & J

Default Is Wayside Insane?

"animaux" wrote in message n
Well, 30 is certainly a much more feasible price for something which is
relatively rare. However, I think I may buy a bucket of black bamboo,

grow it,
divide it and start selling IT. Holy cow.

Thing with it here is that rarely, if ever, are there any clumpers which

clump.
Most of the bamboo's run. Black is somewhat more behaved, but if

unchecked for
a few years, you'd be inundated. I may have to grow it now. Geesh. I'd

make it
much more affordable to the garden center so they don't have to charge so

much.

Prices such as those you quoted from Wayside can only be charged if enough
suckers pay the asking price. Many consumers of garden products demand
instant gratification and are willing to pay any price if they want a plant
badly enough. I often shake my head as I watch people walk out of garden
centers in the spring with hanging basket plants at the peak of their growth
and color, knowing that within a couple weeks these same plants will turn
into ratty skeletons. These same people throw them in the trash pile and
return to buy another.

The same is also true of people who build house and demand instant
landscapes. Often these same landscape turn into jungles within a four or
five years because inappropriate plants were purchased, and the landscape
designer is called back to remove and replace the jungle. It's usually not
the landscape designer's fault, but the consumer who has little or not
knowledge about plants. I'm sure any reputable designer has to walk a fine
line between coping with stupidity and making a sale.

I'll admit that I am not an ideal plant consumer. If I can grow it from a
cutting or plant division or start it from a seed, I'll do so. When I do
purchase a "must have" plant at what I consider ridiculous price, my mind
immediately goes to work about reproducing this plant so that individual
cost is greatly reduced. Many of my friends are the recipients of these
plants. G

John

Old 17-12-2003, 02:32 PM
animaux

On Wed, 17 Dec 2003 00:19:21 -0600, "B & J" bjskeff@removecox-internetcom
opined:

[...]

Well, I have become the favorite person at our bi-annual plant swap at the
garden club. Fortunately, many people in Texas are heartfelt about keeping
Texas wild and use native plants more than not. It's a great place to live, in
that regard. That it was 75 degrees yesterday was at the top of reasons!

Old 17-12-2003, 03:02 PM
NAearthMOM

Hence why I have asked to be removed from their email list.

Love caryn

sell the sizzle, not the steak, to an
uninformed clientele.

"Come into my garden, my flowers want to meet you!"
Old 17-12-2003, 10:35 PM
mmarteen

I got their catalog and thought their prices were kind of wacky. Some stuff
seemed competetive with garden centers some stuff a lot more expensive. I
have never ordered from them before but I was thinking about getting a
clematis from them that seemed reasonably priced. Garden centers here seem
to offer about 5 kinds each season and never the ones I am interested in.

mm

Old 17-12-2003, 10:42 PM
Cereoid-UR12-

Don't get your thong panties in a wad, Storlard. It might cut off the
circulation to your brain.

That you know nothing about the Jack Parr reference is far more significant
because it proves you are just another hyperactive wet-behind-the-ears
computer dweeb that thinks Huey Newton is the old guy that got hit in the
head by an apple!!!

You is the sucker, Sucka!!!

You need to spend more time at the Wayside Chapel!!

Starlord wrote in message
It only proves that P.T. Barnum was right when he said "There's a sucker
born every minute"!!!

He NEVER said that, it was a Newspaper reporter who put that in his news

story
and it's gone on forever, but it is a lie, he never said it.

--
"In this universe the night was falling,the shadows were lengthening
But elsewhere the stars were still young and the light of morning

Arthur C. Clarke, The City & The Stars

SIAR
www.starlords.org
Freelance Writers Shop
http://www.freelancewrittersshop.netfirms.com
Telescope Buyers FAQ
http://home.inreach.com/starlord
Ad World
http://adworld.netfirms.com

"Cereoid-UR12-" wrote in message
. com...
Yes they are and they have gall too!

---

Old 19-12-2003, 05:02 AM
NAearthMOM

I bought a clematis from them last year. Very small. Didn't do well. I am
wondering if it was just busy developing roots.
Will keep you posted come springtime!
Love caryn

Old 19-12-2003, 06:12 AM
B & J

"NAearthMOM" wrote in message
I bought a clematis from them last year. Very small. Didn't do well. I

am
wondering if it was just busy developing roots.
Will keep you posted come springtime!
Love caryn
clematis from them that seemed reasonably priced

"Come into my garden, my flowers want to meet you!"

There's a old adage, not completely accurate, about planting shrubs, trees,
and vines: first year sleep, second year, creep, and third year leap. I
initially planted clematis that came in the plastic tubes in cardboard
containers, and that was my experience with them. I paid $2.98 each for the
two I purchased, and they are gorgeous now. Give it time and keep it watered
and fertilized.

John

Old 20-12-2003, 04:33 AM
NAearthMOM

Hi John, yes I know,patience patience!

My nursery had some clematis (not cheap) that were in 5 gallon containers, in
bloom.
I bought 3 smaller ones (one from WS) and I am hoping they will surprise me in
a year or two!
Love caryn

"Come into my garden, my flowers want to meet you!"

[IMG] code is On

Wayside cutting back on roses? torgo Roses 0 24-02-2005 03:38 AM
there will be an insane ramble later after I get home (OT of course ) but MORE blooming part three!! madgardener Gardening 6 29-12-2003 01:04 AM
Wayside Order clc Roses 4 11-04-2003 02:44 PM
North side of house - insane plants? Cereoid+10 Gardening 8 07-02-2003 07:59 AM
Echinacea 'Razzmatazz' - one ex Wayside employee J Kolenovsky Gardening 3 25-01-2003 03:16 PM