Old 02-01-2004, 07:32 PM
Mick709

Default Plant recommendations redux

D'oh! I left out the most important info from my previous post-I am in zone 6
(pittsburgh pa to be precise). One person suggested that I dont rule out the
less invasive/less 'weedy" morning glories but didnt mention which ones those
were! So, I'd still love imput (esp now that you know the zone) and would also
like to know which morning glories are well behaved!
thanks!

MICK

Howdy all!

I am making plans for the summer ( arent we all??!?) and would love some
imput from the list. My front "yard" is 10' wide by 6' deep with the typical
city sidewalk and then the street. The front of the house gets direct sunlight
ALL afternoon long in the summer and is not terribly hospitable to many plants.
I have the area planted heavily in Zinnias (they love the climate) but I;d like
some vining plants to go up the porch posts. I;ve tried scarlet runner beans,
hyacinth bean and the previous owner even tried a clamatis but the hot dry area
isnt the ideal climate for any of them. I would almost plant morning glories
there just to screen the porch a bit but I am not that nuts! SO- any
suggestions on fast growing, non invasive vining plants that do well in dry,
rather harsh conditions that could grow on a trellis to form a screen?

Any ideas would be great !
THANKS!!!

MICK

Old 02-01-2004, 10:02 PM
Pam - gardengal

"Mick709" wrote in message
D'oh! I left out the most important info from my previous post-I am in

zone 6
(pittsburgh pa to be precise). One person suggested that I dont rule out

the
less invasive/less 'weedy" morning glories but didnt mention which ones

those
were! So, I'd still love imput (esp now that you know the zone) and would

also
like to know which morning glories are well behaved!
thanks!

MICK

Morning glory is a common name applied to an entire plant family and at
least three different genera of vining plants. Convolvulus arvensis and
Calystegia sepium, both also referred to as bindweed, are highly invasive
and difficult to eradicate and control. Most of the plants of the genus
Ipomoea are well-behaved garden annuals or perennials. Look for Ipomoea
tricolor, I. alba (also called moonflower), I. nils, I. coccinea (cardinal
vine) or I. lobata (spanish Flag). Easy to grow from seeds in hot summer
areas.

pam - gardengal

[...]

[IMG] code is On

[IBC] Beginners redux Jim Lewis Bonsai 0 18-04-2004 03:07 AM
Tabasco Pepper Redux Penelope Periwinkle Edible Gardening 0 14-04-2004 06:35 PM
[IBC] "The Spirit of Bonsai design: Combine the Power of Zen and nature" (redux) Jim Lewis Bonsai 35 18-12-2003 01:27 AM
[IBC] vendors redux Jim Lewis Bonsai 0 25-07-2003 04:22 PM
[IBC] Escallonia redux Jim Lewis Bonsai 2 14-05-2003 08:20 PM