Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-01-2004, 11:10 AM
Ann

Default WAS: Make your garden "bird friendly" now: Bird Gardens

"mmarteen" expounded:

I am a little scared of goldenrod. It may not cause hayfever but at least
the wild stuff that grows around here I am definitely allergic to. I will
check out the cultivars though.

:::sigh:::

No, Emilie, you really aren't. Goldenrod pollen is not wind
pollinated, it needs bees and other pollinators to move around, it's
too heavy. You are allergic to ragweed, that blooms at the same time
yet is very inconspicuous, and is right next to the goldenrod (they
frequently grow together). It's a shame goldenrod has such a bad
reputation, I've even heard allergists make the same mistake.

Here is a link that'll help you identify ragweed:
http://www.ppws.vt.edu/scott/weed_id/ambel.htm

--
Ann, Gardening in zone 6a
Just south of Boston, MA