Old 04-01-2004, 09:12 AM
Brandon

Default Freeze Kill? Ficus Nitida

I am in Gilbert Arizona( metro phoenix). Last week we experienced sub
freezing ( 22-24 degrees)temperatures for several nights. Anything potted
was brought in the house.
4 Giant Hibiscus and 3 monster Bougainvilleas and a very large Castor bean
"tree" wilted( foliage appears "burned") and have started to drop all there
leaves.
Not a big deal , I think the bougainvilleas will come back as they are so
hard to kill : /

BUT my concern is a 15+ foot Ficus Nitida with a trunk diameter of 10+
inches...
The leaves turned purple, and then in the last day or so, they have started
to drop in profusion. My neighbor has three like this doing the same thing.

I am wondering if this tree has been killed. Will my homeowners insurance
cover it if it has? I have seen trees half this size at local nurseries for
$3000.00.

Will it come back? ( will this be a good time to prune it?

Thanks
Brandon

Old 04-01-2004, 06:02 PM
Pam - gardengal

"Brandon" wrote in message
[...]

They prefer temps to remain above 40F but they can tolerate light freezes.
Leaf drop is very common at this point.and is to be expected. I'd wait until
all danger of cold temperatures have passed to assess how much damage was
done and do remedial pruning at that time. How long it tolerated these
conditions will have a bearing on how well it comes back.

You need to read your policy well, but I doubt you can claim this on your
homeowners insurance. Most policies will not cover landscaping damaged due
to "acts of God". If that were the case, more northern homeowners would have
HUGE claims for all the plants that are unable to make it through their
often brutal winters. The good news is, ficus grow fast if you have to
replace it.

pam - gardengal

Old 04-01-2004, 09:42 PM
MLEBLANCA

In article P1VJb.729829$HS4.5465310@attbi_s01, "Pam - gardengal"
writes:

Will it come back? ( will this be a good time to prune it?

They prefer temps to remain above 40F but they can tolerate light freezes.
Leaf drop is very common at this point.and is to be expected. I'd wait until
all danger of cold temperatures have passed to assess how much damage was
done and do remedial pruning at that time. How long it tolerated these
conditions will have a bearing on how well it comes back.

pam - gardengal

I agree with Pam. Don't add injury to insult. Leave it alone
until you begin to see any new growth buds. (if any).
If any top parts are obviously dead, ie mushy/black,
you could remove those.

Emilie
Old 05-01-2004, 12:32 AM
V_coerulea

For the messy berries, deal with it. That's what a ficus does best. That's
its whole reason for being. Like those that grow crab apples, maples, oaks,
even pines, there's the mess to deal with. It's minot compared to the
benefits they provide.
Gary

"Brandon" wrote in message

"Pam - gardengal" wrote in message

"Brandon" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks, I had hoped this may be the case really, I don't want to replace

it,
is a beautiful tree.
This may actually be a good thing if it will come back, because now I can
prune it with the advantage of having a better view of the branch

structure.
This will allow me to shape the tree better.
One other question, is there anything that will prevent a ficus from
fruiting? Those annoying little berries it produces create quite a mess.

Thanks
Brandon

Fargesia Nitida Gerboa Bamboo 8 13-08-2007 09:35 AM
Autumn Olive freeze/kill? Ron Hardin Plant Science 1 23-05-2007 04:47 AM
Bumps on Ficus Nitida [email protected] Gardening 0 11-11-2005 05:25 AM
Do I Need to Put Barrier Around Clump Type Bamboo (Fargesia Nitida)? [email protected] Bamboo 7 08-06-2005 06:13 PM
Which one - murieliae or nitida? Tegan Bamboo 0 25-04-2003 06:08 PM