Old 23-02-2004, 07:32 PM
Cereus-validus

Default lantana

Is that a Carlos Lantana? ;-)

Do whatever you want.

Since Lantana flower on the new growth, you may want to trim it somewhat to
get it into shape.

If you trim it all the way to the ground, it probably won't come back.

Harvey R. Stone wrote in message
I live in Houston Tx. and our spring is here. The stems of my lantana are
brown but there are flowers. So should I leave it alone or trim it down?

If
I trim it should I cut it all the way to the ground?
Phyl

Old 24-02-2004, 03:47 AM
Captain Chlorophyll

Cereus-validus wrote:
If you trim it all the way to the ground, it probably won't come back.

Here in southern New Mexico, Lantana is an herbaceous perennial, and you
*have* to cut it to the ground each winter. As long as the soil doesn't
remain cold and wet in the winter (such as when overplanted with Pansies
or other winter annuals), it should come back just fine.

--
Brett Woywood
* "I seem to be having this * *

Old 24-02-2004, 03:32 PM
escapee

On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 19:59:21 -0700, Captain Chlorophyll
opined:

Cereus-validus wrote:
If you trim it all the way to the ground, it probably won't come back.

Here in southern New Mexico, Lantana is an herbaceous perennial, and you
*have* to cut it to the ground each winter. As long as the soil doesn't
remain cold and wet in the winter (such as when overplanted with Pansies
or other winter annuals), it should come back just fine.

Yes, it's very reliably hardy in Texas USDA Zone 8b, as well. I cut mine to the
ground about now. I am starting to see new growth at the base.
Old 24-02-2004, 03:42 PM
escapee

Cereus-validus wrote:
If you trim it all the way to the ground, it probably won't come back.

Here in southern New Mexico, Lantana is an herbaceous perennial, and you
*have* to cut it to the ground each winter. As long as the soil doesn't
remain cold and wet in the winter (such as when overplanted with Pansies
or other winter annuals), it should come back just fine.

Yes, it's very reliably hardy in Texas USDA Zone 8b, as well. I cut mine to the
ground about now. I am starting to see new growth at the base.

[IMG] code is On

cutting back on cutting back Cereoid-UR12- Gardening 0 23-09-2003 12:04 AM
Lantana & Plumbago still dormant? courtault at yahoo.com Texas 3 05-04-2003 11:11 AM
free lantana... Tom Penick Texas 1 05-04-2003 11:10 AM
lantana troubles Peter Imes Texas 1 05-04-2003 11:08 AM
Lantana & Plumbago still dormant? courtault at yahoo.com Texas 2 29-03-2003 09:20 PM