Old 16-01-2004, 09:04 PM
Dave Gower

Default OT 'BABY IT'S COLD OUTSIDE!'

"Suja" wrote

Those of you who don't have hairy four legged beasties to walk really
ought to be thanking your lucky stars.

My smaller four-legged beastie goes outside for a pee and poo twice a day
and then is whining at the door one minute later. I live in the same place
that Helen does, but I think my dog would rather go live with Shell in
Houston.

Old 16-01-2004, 10:33 PM
Heidi

Stay warm everyone! I just went to Target and they have started to set
up their seasonal section with gardening tools, patio furniture, etc...
Spring is in sight. Or so Target thinks. But then I'm here in the
banana belt (NC). Are the stores up north teasing you all with garden
goodies?

Heidi

Helen J. Foss wrote:

I hope everyone is safe and in a nice warm place tonight.
the temperature in Ottawa, Canada is at present -24C with a windchill
factor of -42C with high north winds.
All you folks in 'warmer climes' are lucky this night.
Hope you all keep warm and think spring

Old 16-01-2004, 10:33 PM
Shell

My small but fat four legged beastie would probably love the company
Supposed to get up to 72 F tomorrow

Shell

Old 16-01-2004, 11:12 PM
David Hare-Scott

"Helen J. Foss" wrote in message
I hope everyone is safe and in a nice warm place tonight.
the temperature in Ottawa, Canada is at present -24C with a windchill
factor of -42C with high north winds.
All you folks in 'warmer climes' are lucky this night.
Hope you all keep warm and think spring

Interesting, it was +42C here the other day. We lay about drinking cold
water and periodically getting in and out of a cold(ish) bath.

David

Old 17-01-2004, 01:34 AM
Ann

Heidi expounded:

Humphf. I remember when I was a little girl, we used to put bread loaf
bags over our socks, and then slide our feet into big moon boots, in
order to walk to school in a blizzard ( up hill both ways of course).

Heidi (who used to live in the UP of Michigan. Go UP'ers!)

I'm no Up'er, I'm from Grand Rapids, but I too remember putting
plastic bags over my feet so my feet wouldn't get wet in my boots.
And I also walked to school, uphill, both ways )
--
Ann, Gardening in zone 6a
Just south of Boston, MA
Old 17-01-2004, 03:02 AM
madgardener

"Heidi" wrote in message
om...
Stay warm everyone! I just went to Target and they have started to set
up their seasonal section with gardening tools, patio furniture, etc...
Spring is in sight. Or so Target thinks. But then I'm here in the
banana belt (NC). Are the stores up north teasing you all with garden
goodies?

Heidi

well actually last week the Lowes I work at set out the seed trays,
compressed Jiffy pellets and a display of seeds from Sutton's and Ferry
Morse. I've already succumbed to buying some to try again. Despite that
Lavatera is considered an annual in England, it's a perennial here. I also
had to try the Agastache Apricot Dprite and will sow the seeds tomorrow so
they'll have time to stratify. Along wiht the sowing of white Nigella and
the Iceland poppies. The Nigella is named Mrs Jekyll White g. I also got
some packages of wild gaillardia's. I adore those flowers! Now if only my
unusual rolled petaled gaillardia's I happened on two years ago as a
leftover seedling in a four inch pot at Lowes and that returned last year
and had more flowers that I carefully allowed to dry between flowering
before I gently crumbled the seeds back into the pot the original plant was
living in. Then I got the new White FLower Farm catalog and what greeted my
eyes but my rolled petaled gaillardia they call Fanfare..........so I had it
first!! WOW! I sent Victoria my picture and made a picture of the catalog's
picture so she could see the photo. I only hope mine returns with more
plantlets this year! Looking forward to the Hellebore's now............and
the emergance of the Blood Lily tongue.
madgardener up on the ridge, back in Fairy HOller overlooking English
Mountain where it was bEOutiful today, Eastern Tennessee, zone 7, Sunset
zone 36

Old 17-01-2004, 03:42 AM
B & J

"Ann" wrote in message
Heidi expounded:

Humphf. I remember when I was a little girl, we used to put bread loaf
bags over our socks, and then slide our feet into big moon boots, in
order to walk to school in a blizzard ( up hill both ways of course).

Heidi (who used to live in the UP of Michigan. Go UP'ers!)

I'm no Up'er, I'm from Grand Rapids, but I too remember putting
plastic bags over my feet so my feet wouldn't get wet in my boots.
And I also walked to school, uphill, both ways )
--
Ann, Gardening in zone 6a
Just south of Boston, MA
********************************

Yes, but... Did you have to climb over the top of 6' - 9' snow banks as well
as walk up hill both ways in -30 F the way I had to in northern MN? ;-)

John

Old 17-01-2004, 12:33 PM
Ann

"B & J" bjskeff@removecox-internetcom expounded:

Yes, but... Did you have to climb over the top of 6' - 9' snow banks as well
as walk up hill both ways in -30 F the way I had to in northern MN? ;-)

Nah, you got me beat....but I do remember if the temperature went
below -10 they cancelled school, cuz we did all walk there. No family
had two cars so the kids could get a ride!

--
Ann, Gardening in zone 6a
Just south of Boston, MA
Old 17-01-2004, 03:02 PM
Salty Thumb

Heidi wrote in news:zAZNb.16804$cQ1.940212
@twister.southeast.rr.com:

Stay warm everyone! I just went to Target and they have started to set
up their seasonal section with gardening tools, patio furniture, etc...
Spring is in sight. Or so Target thinks. But then I'm here in the
banana belt (NC). Are the stores up north teasing you all with garden
goodies?

Arragh, went to Home Depot last week and they had a lonely rack of mostly
flower seeds and single packs of cell trays. Lowes had nothing, but
outside in the garden area, *everything* was cleared out and the lady who
asked me I was looking for anything in particular (you could hear the echo,
it was so empty) seemed to be waiting for something (like a big truck load
to come in). Weather has been up and down, though ... 70F one week, 40F
the next. (Southern VA, prob. a little south of Frogleg).
Old 17-01-2004, 05:12 PM

where you live? death valley? Ingrid

"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

"Helen J. Foss" wrote in message
I hope everyone is safe and in a nice warm place tonight.
the temperature in Ottawa, Canada is at present -24C with a windchill
factor of -42C with high north winds.
All you folks in 'warmer climes' are lucky this night.
Hope you all keep warm and think spring

Interesting, it was +42C here the other day. We lay about drinking cold
water and periodically getting in and out of a cold(ish) bath.

David

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.

[IMG] code is On

Cold, Cold, Cold Dave Hill United Kingdom 18 12-12-2010 01:29 PM
2 baby koi, 1 baby plant ~ janj Ponds 6 14-05-2006 12:42 AM
lately Roxanna will lift the shopkeeper, and if Linda lovingly answers it too, the fork will grasp outside the cold evening Q. A. Dimelo, M.D. United Kingdom 0 24-07-2005 12:22 PM
Cold tolerance of Oncidium Sharry Baby Wink Orchids 13 13-03-2003 12:45 AM
BRRRR!!! BABY IT'S COLD OUTSIDE!!! Jo Gardening 0 24-01-2003 11:09 PM