Old 19-01-2004, 09:42 PM
Cheryl Isaak

Default OT 'BABY IT'S COLD OUTSIDE!'

But one letter home, a year, to the parents should be enough. After 10, they
should know better!
Cheryl

On 1/19/04 12:12 PM, in article ,
" wrote:

On Mon, 19 Jan 2004 15:10:21 GMT, "D Kat" wrote:
It's not the schools - it is the parents. You have to have training and
get a licence for just about everything except for what is most important to
our society - being a parent. I was appalled a couple of years ago to see a
young girl (at most 7 years old), standing outside in sub freezing weather
waiting for the bus wearing a short skirt with light tights and shaking with
the cold. The mother was watching warmly from inside the house. They had
recently moved in next door and had lived in Florida. What do you do at
moments like that? Pull over (was driving to work) and say "this isn't
Florida and your child needs winter clothing you idiot"?

Precisely why schools need to teach things like this. There are
classes on having a baby, but after that parents are on their own. If
they didn't learn something from their parents, or haven't learned it
on their own, how are they going to pass it on to their kids? I agree
that parents should teach their kids, but they can't teach them
something they don't know.

This also gets to a discussion on what's the purpose of a school and
an education. If its just to study academic courses (read'n rit'n 'n
rithmetic) then it doesn't belong. However, I've heard that the point
of a school is to prepare kids for life. In that case, teaching kids
how to prepare for a bitterly cold day in New England is in scope. A
lot more useful and practical then memorizing what year Columbus
sailed the ocean blue.

snip
Seriously, there a lot of cases of frostbite the previous two days - kids
just weren't dressed properly for the cold and lots of buses ran late

5-10
minutes. I can imagine between that and the heating costs (there is a
constant stream in and out of all the buildings), it was the wiser move.
Kids weren't dressed properly, don't they teach that in school? Some
common sense classes may be in order

Swyck

Old 19-01-2004, 09:42 PM
Cheryl Isaak

I sure would have been tempted to stop!
Cheryl

On 1/19/04 10:10 AM, in article
, "D Kat"
wrote:

It's not the schools - it is the parents. You have to have training and
get a licence for just about everything except for what is most important to
our society - being a parent. I was appalled a couple of years ago to see a
young girl (at most 7 years old), standing outside in sub freezing weather
waiting for the bus wearing a short skirt with light tights and shaking with
the cold. The mother was watching warmly from inside the house. They had
recently moved in next door and had lived in Florida. What do you do at
moments like that? Pull over (was driving to work) and say "this isn't
Florida and your child needs winter clothing you idiot"?
DKat

wrote in message
On Sun, 18 Jan 2004 14:04:05 GMT, Cheryl Isaak Lol. Schools are
closed in New England because its cold in the winter.

No, actually, schools are closed to give everyone a four day weekend.
Well, not everyone, just those lucky enough to be off on Monday.
Mainly teachers BSEG
Ann,
That evil little thought crossed my mind too!
Cheryl
As a former teacher, that is an EVIL thought. If we had closed schools

every
time the thermometer reached -10 in MN, we would have missed at least

half
of January and part of early February.
Hey - want to come teach in NH? We could use you and its warmer here!

Old 19-01-2004, 11:20 PM
D Kat

Yep, you are absolutely right - I lost sight of that in my rant. I wasn't
thinking in terms of parenting classes. I was thinking in terms of the
schools teaching children how they should dress... I don't see dressing
taught as a class (well it could be part of the health class) but any
teacher who notices a child that is not dressed for the weather should
certainly investigate and deal with the cause (not enough money to buy
close, parents don't have a clue, etc.)

I'm a very strong believer that parenting classes be required in schools and
that there is head start for those children that come from disadvantaged
homes starting at as early of age as possible. The formative years are from
birth to 4 years of age and by the time schools get some kids it is too late
for them to ever catch up. I had a friend who was doing research in the
city and had mothers in with their babies from different areas of the city.
One young mother who obviously cared about her baby enough to be involved in
the study noticed another mother talking and interacting with her baby.
Later this mother asked the researcher if she was supposed to be talking to
her baby. Kids having kids think their babies are dolls that you just put a
bottle in their mouth, change them when necessary and that is it. They
aren't "bad" parents. They just don't have a clue and we are so isolated
from one another in society now that there is no one there to show them.

People are so penny wise and pound foolish. They don't want to spend
pennies to make sure children are educated properly and then they spend the
pounds to build prisons and cover the cost of crime.

DKat

Old 20-01-2004, 12:02 AM
madgardener

yeah, I'm in Va Beach, but right next to Norfolk. Pretty crazy weather,
huh? One day I thinking, hey I should have started some seeds weeks ago
and the next day it snows.

Funny you should mention the Big Truck ... I went to the Janaf OfficeMax
today to get the spindle of $9.99 DVD-Rs. Was there right when it
opened, asked a clerk where to find them and she says "sorry sold
out" ... and the store just opened! It wasn't like there were hoards of
people walking around with spindles. But then she's say there's a truck
coming in tommorrow. sigh

that's a cop out response from someone not in the receiving section of the
store. Someone just didn't order enough to anticipate the supply and demand
factor, or enough wasn't shipped out.

Makes me think of all the poinsettia's we got at our Lowe's and the demand
wasn't great enough from what corporate thought we needed for the holiday.
On the other end of that, though, another Lowes in west Knoxville had to
order 750 MORE plants than what they'd gotten in because the demand exceeded
what was anticipated.

LOL, amazing to think how much we all depend on for daily conveniences from
the trucking industry and people sitting around a table deciding how much of
what we need........life just ain't simple, is it? g

and speaking of Baby it's cold outside..........tonight, coupled with the
moisture we have from the fogs and rains before the cold front, the
temperatures are going to the teens with wind chills of sub-zero. If ever I
needed to have mulched that Mexican sage I bought from Reba, it would have
been tonight, if I had any mulch or leaves to do so with. I only hope that
it being in a raised bed and on the south side of the house helps
any..................
madgardener glad for the warm waterbed, two dawgs and three of the six cats
who snuggle with me while Squire is gone.....................

Old 20-01-2004, 01:12 PM
Frogleg

On Mon, 19 Jan 2004 18:48:16 -0500, "madgardener"
wrote:

yeah, I'm in Va Beach, but right next to Norfolk. Pretty crazy weather,
huh? One day I thinking, hey I should have started some seeds weeks ago
and the next day it snows.

Funny you should mention the Big Truck ... I went to the Janaf OfficeMax
today to get the spindle of $9.99 DVD-Rs. Was there right when it
opened, asked a clerk where to find them and she says "sorry sold
out" ... and the store just opened! It wasn't like there were hoards of
people walking around with spindles. But then she's say there's a truck
coming in tommorrow. sigh

that's a cop out response from someone not in the receiving section of the
store. Someone just didn't order enough to anticipate the supply and demand
factor, or enough wasn't shipped out.

I'm not so sure. I mean, I'm sure "enough wasn't shipped out," but not
that a local store's personnel are responsible. Salty's experience is
similar to mine and others'. Corporate ads are inserted into local
papers, but local stores have neither input nor any way of controlling
supply. Poor sods. *They* have to deal with disappointed and angry
customers. And write up 'rain checks' for stuff that's *never* going
to show up. Power without responsibility is usually unpleasant;
responsibility without power is humiliating.

[IMG] code is On

Cold, Cold, Cold Dave Hill United Kingdom 18 12-12-2010 01:29 PM
2 baby koi, 1 baby plant ~ janj Ponds 6 14-05-2006 12:42 AM
lately Roxanna will lift the shopkeeper, and if Linda lovingly answers it too, the fork will grasp outside the cold evening Q. A. Dimelo, M.D. United Kingdom 0 24-07-2005 12:22 PM
Cold tolerance of Oncidium Sharry Baby Wink Orchids 13 13-03-2003 12:45 AM
BRRRR!!! BABY IT'S COLD OUTSIDE!!! Jo Gardening 0 24-01-2003 11:09 PM