Old 21-02-2004, 03:02 PM
Father Haskell

Default sunflower seeds

Which strains are used for black oil or gray stripe sunflower seeds as
sold for bird seed? What heights can I expect from planting either
variety?
Old 22-02-2004, 09:32 PM
Laurie

This might not be the difinitive answer, but I had a great crop of sunflower
plants in my deck planters last year that the squirrels had planted. They
got the seeds from the bird feeders. They were 3-5 feet tall and were at
least three different varieties. I now use the "no waste" bird seed, so I'm
going to have to figure out what to do, because I have lousy luck growing
them myself. The squirrels still steal and bury the seeds, but since the
shell has already been removed, I presume they sure won't turn into plants.
And I'll be darned if I can picture in my mind's eye if the sunflower seeds
last year were striped or black oil. If I had to bet, I'd say they planted
the black, because I remember getting a few bags of straight black oil
seeds. The seed MIXES had both kinds.

Old 23-02-2004, 08:09 PM
Leon Fisk

On Sat, 21 Feb 2004 09:50:10 -0800, Father Haskell
wrote:

Which strains are used for black oil or gray stripe sunflower seeds as
sold for bird seed? What heights can I expect from planting either
variety?

I don't know what the commercial growers use, but the stuff
you get in 50 lb bags for bird seed will grow just fine. I
won't win any awards with this website, but take a look if
your interested in a few images of Black Oilers.

http://www.iserv.net/~lfisk/

Last year I had one plant that zoomed to 14 feet (used a
stiff tape measure, no guessing). Most common is about 6-8
feet though. Single or multiple heads.

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Old 23-02-2004, 09:59 PM
Laurie

Ohmygosh.................I'll never buy designer sunflower seeds again!!!
Thanks!

Old 23-02-2004, 10:32 PM
Laurie

Old 23-02-2004, 11:02 PM
Laurie

Old 23-02-2004, 11:12 PM
Laurie

Old 23-02-2004, 11:31 PM
Jeteye

I to plant 15 to 20 lbs of Southern States black oilers out in a wildlife
plot. One designer seed that I would recommend is the MAximilliam perennial
variety. You got to wait a year for it to bloom but it was worth it, bought
a ounce and dabbled color all around the homestead!
. net...