Old 24-02-2004, 05:15 PM
bp

Default bushes to use in zone 6

Hi - Just moved into a corner property house in NJ - Zone 6. I want
to make the yard more private by planting along the sidewalk, about 75
feet.

Is this something I can do myself with little gardening experience?
Any suggestions on different bushes to use? The area is full sun and
I'd prefer things that don't need very frequent trimmings.
Old 24-02-2004, 07:02 PM
Janice

On 24 Feb 2004 09:07:08 -0800, (bp) wrote:

Hi - Just moved into a corner property house in NJ - Zone 6. I want
to make the yard more private by planting along the sidewalk, about 75
feet.

Is this something I can do myself with little gardening experience?
Any suggestions on different bushes to use? The area is full sun and
I'd prefer things that don't need very frequent trimmings.

Sorry to rain on your parade a bit, but before you plant anything,
check your zoning regulations. I wanted to put up plantings to screen
me from my neighbors. My neighbor has a hedge along the sidewalk, but
it was there when the place was annexed into the city, and there are
zoning regulations now that say that we cannot have plants taller than
3' if it's on the perimeter of the property acting as a fence, or 4'
if there are spaces between plants... like the same regulations as a
fence, 3' solid, 4' open like wire or picket fences. anywhere else
there cannot be anything planted in a line to act as a screen higher
than 1' above grade.

Also, the perceived property line is not the real line as the city
owns the right of way so many feet into our property. There is a 20'
"setback" but you have to know where to measure from. In my case it
was 5' into my yard from the sidewalk, but each area is different and
some places don't have a sidewalk so they have different places to
measure from. But in my location, you cannot have anything that
doesn't meet with the 3' solid, 4' open rule. They say they won't
allow any structures or plantings "that would be difficult to remove"
within that 5' from the sidewalk, plus that height rule.

So, before you plant a bunch of expensive plants that the city may
make you remove, check your local zoning regulations.

Janice