Old 29-02-2004, 03:21 AM
Laurie

Default Moving from zone 4 to zone 10b

"Ricky" wrote in message

Laurie,
Having moved from NJ 6 years ago to Boca Raton, FL (just north of Ft.
Lauderdale) I made a bunch of mistakes. You will as well so be prepared

for
them. First and foremost things grow here at a MUCH faster rate than up
north. It is very easy to overplant. We do have seasons here and you have

adapt your gardening to them. There are lots of great retail nurseries for
you but the one I would start you at is Jesse Durko's just off Griffin

Road,
west of Davie Blvd. Jesse grows the exotics that you won't find in most of
the other garden centers and definitely not in Home Depot.
Avoid any book by Pamela Crawford.
Plant only palms with a crownshaft - they are self-cleaning. By the

way,
only Coconut palms have coconuts.
Be prepared for crappy soil. Plan on amending before you start your
garden.
Start your garden as soon as you can!

Ricky

Thanks Ricky, I'll check out the nursery when I get there. And thanks for
all the info!

Laurie

Old 29-02-2004, 03:31 AM
Laurie

"MC" wrote in message
news
On Sat, 28 Feb 2004 20:21:36 +0000, Laurie wrote:

As for spring bulbs, you could still have some fun with them: pot 'em,
refrigerate 'em and watch 'em grow.

All they need is a specified time of cold.

I do this every year (except this one) so that's a great idea, thanks!

Laurie

Old 29-02-2004, 03:38 AM
Laurie

"Beecrofter" wrote in message
om...
Can I have your snow shovel?

It's yours! I hope to never have to use one ever again!

Not too far away in West Palm is a place called The Mounts, run by
Florida master gardeners, check em out.

Cool, thanks!

Laurie

Old 29-02-2004, 03:47 AM
LanscpHort

"Ricky" wrote in message
"Laurie" wrote in message
link.net...
Hi Everyone,

I will be moving to Ft. Lauderdale Florida from Minnesota in the next

few
months. I'm wondering if anyone has any good websites, books, or info
regarding gardening in my new zone.

I guess I have to completely re-learn gardening now!

Laurie,
Having moved from NJ 6 years ago to Boca Raton, FL (just north of Ft.
Lauderdale) I made a bunch of mistakes. You will as well so be prepared

for
them. First and foremost things grow here at a MUCH faster rate than up
north. It is very easy to overplant. We do have seasons here and you have

adapt your gardening to them. There are lots of great retail nurseries for
you but the one I would start you at is Jesse Durko's just off Griffin

Road,
west of Davie Blvd. Jesse grows the exotics that you won't find in most of
the other garden centers and definitely not in Home Depot.
Avoid any book by Pamela Crawford.

Plant only palms with a crownshaft - they are self-cleaning. By the

way,
only Coconut palms have coconuts.

though
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&l...jubaea+edible+

http://www.nextharvest.com/palm.htm

i've tasted only Jubaea and butia
this is interesting
http://www.plantapalm.com/vpe/photos...baeaxbutia.htm

http://www.plantapalm.com/centralfl/FreezeDaveWitt.asp
Be prepared for crappy soil.

or grow adapted plants.

Old 29-02-2004, 07:02 AM
gregpresley

[...]

I second the info about fast growing. When I bought a house with an ugly
chainlink fence on one side, I divided up a clump of pampas grass and
spaced starts about every 15 feet along the fence (the fence was about 100
feet long or more). Then I put some odds and ends in between - a camellia
here, a magnolia there, a flowering cherry here, a crape myrtle there, an
eleagnus here, a bottle-brush there. Still, everything came in little
one-gallon pots, and initially everything was spaced at least 4-6 feet from
the next plant - it looked so bare, I was almost tempted to plant more stuff
in between. 3 years later, the entire fence was a JUNGLE! ! ! ! ! The crape
myrtle had grown to 20 feet, the magnolia was 15, the cherry was 15, the
pampas grass starts were each 6 feet in diameter, etc etc etc. The only
thing slow growing were the camellias. Then I realized I should have spaced
everything no closer than 10 feet apart, but it was too late. Oh well, that
is life in the deep South, with a 9-10 month growing season, and tons of
rain and warmth. Also, beware the little live oak and water oak seedlings
that you figure you can attend to next spring - by next spring they are
likely to be 6 feet tall.

Old 29-02-2004, 06:37 PM
omi

"Laurie" wrote in message
link.net...
Hi Everyone,
I will be moving to Ft. Lauderdale Florida from Minnesota in the next

few
months. I'm wondering if anyone has any good websites, books, or info
regarding gardening in my new zone.

See
http://leon.ifas.ufl.edu/gardening_landscaping.htm
for a list of links to the University of Florida's Dardening and
Landscape pages.
or
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/TOPIC_Vegetable_Gardening
for vegetable gardening.