Old 02-03-2004, 01:59 AM

Default Honeysuckle won't bloom

I'm in the Central Florida area and I planted a honey suckle several
years ago in an area that gets direct sun in the morning and shade in
the afternoon. Its blooms have always been dismal. I have two
questions. What kind of fertilizer will force it to bloom and will
cutting it back help?
Old 02-03-2004, 02:06 AM

On Tue, 02 Mar 2004 01:34:17 GMT, Phisherman wrote:

On Tue, 02 Mar 2004 01:20:45 GMT, wrote:

I'm in the Central Florida area and I planted a honey suckle several
years ago in an area that gets direct sun in the morning and shade in
the afternoon. Its blooms have always been dismal. I have two
questions. What kind of fertilizer will force it to bloom and will
cutting it back help?

More sun = more bloom. You may want to consider moving the plant, or
better yet, bury a strand until roots grow, cut it off and plant it in
full sun. Phosphorus (the 2nd number in the fertilizer formula)
encourages bloom, but that will help only if your soil is lacking.
Another option is to find/buy a variety that blooms well in part-sun.
I have some wild honey suckle that grows in shade, with very small
flowers. This is one of my favorite fragrant plants.

Thanks. It technically is in a good location, but the sun has to come
through a semi-opaque screen in the morning when it gets its best
light.

Regarding wild vines. There is a wild vine which has overtaken the
vacant lot next to me. It's blooming on the top of the trees and
looks like yellow Carolina Jasmine -- but there is no fragrance. Any
idea what it might be?

And yet another question: I'm trying to find a vine that I can
control and put in a flower box with trellis, but there's nothing
small enough that I can find in the stores. Any suggestions?