Old 06-03-2004, 05:02 AM
Beecrofter

Default I am New.

"Tiffany Bastian" wrote in message ...
Bee,
I am in Groton what is a cooperateive Extension Office?
Thanks
Tiffany B

Cooperative Extension is an integral part of the land-grant college
system, which grew out of the U.S. Congress' concern for the education
of the average citizen in the Agricultural and Mechanical fields.

In 1862, Congress passed the MORRILL ACT, which provided for a
university in every state that would educate citizens in the
agricultural and mechanical fields. These colleges are known today as
"land-grant universities."

Congress soon realized that to be effective, the educational function
of land-grant universities must be supplemented with a research
capability. Consequently, it passed the HATCH ACT in 1887. This act
provided for the establishment of facilities where colleges could
conduct research into agricultural, mechanical, and related problems
faced by rural citizenry.

Finally, in order to spread the benefits of the land-grant
universities throughout each state, Congress passed the SMITH LEVER
ACT of 1914. This act provided for the establishment of Cooperative
Extension. As a result of the Smith Lever Act, there are now Extension
Offices in every state.
Old 06-03-2004, 05:32 AM
Tiffany Bastian

Bee,
I hate to sound uneducated but what is the purpose of me calling them?
Thanks Again,
Tiffany B
om...

Old 06-03-2004, 10:32 AM
xplorer

"Tiffany Bastian" wrote in message ...
Hello Everyone,
I am new and from Connecticut, We just moved here a month ago. Into a
new home we have no lawn or anything because the house was just
renovated. We have some seriou seeding to do soon, we are trying ot
figure out where we will garden etc... it is a lot of fun, we have such
a large blank canvas. I am curious what you all know about lawns too, We
have a some what rocky construction site are for a front yard. I know we
need to get most the rocks out before we seed but any other good ideas?
Also, we are trying to figure out what plants grow good in this climate
since we just moved here.
Thanks for all your help!
Tiffany B
--

Why don't you reserve an area for planting trees for shade and
landscape. I would suggest native deciduous trees and evergreens. Then
Old 06-03-2004, 01:50 PM

I cheated and read the threads before I posted this.

If you are in base housing, check with the housing office and see what
they will allow. Drive around and see what others have done in your
area. If your base has a "Self Help Store" (again ask at housing or
other people that have been there a while), grass seed, bedding
plants, perrenial plants, supplies, equipment, etc may be available at
no charge for people in base quarters. The plants limited quantities
for your spring planting needs, tools and equipment on an "as
available basis".

Many areas have county extension offices that can answer agricultural
questions for your area regarding best suited plants, plant pests and
diseases and treatments. Check the government pages in your telephone
directory for listings. Usually if you are directed to the right
office, they are very helpful. The same with ag departments at some
of the local colleges and universities, one poster specified "Land
Grant" colleges.

If your yard was sodded, even sloppily, after it starts growing, the
sod will fill in the bare spots. Many types of grass further south
are not sodded in a solid carpet, but plugged at intervals that grow
and spread to the bare spots.

As suggested by other posters, rake and remove the largest rocks, also
remove construction debris. A dead patch in the yard later could
indicate the presence of nails or shingles. In that case you can pin
point the offending material and remove it.

Hopefully, you will have a few years at your new assignment to do and
enjoy your yard before transferred.

Best wishes,
Nancy G. USA (retired)

Old 06-03-2004, 05:11 PM
Beecrofter

"Tiffany Bastian" wrote in message ...
Bee,
I hate to sound uneducated but what is the purpose of me calling them?
Thanks Again,
Tiffany B

They will provide you with information about what grows well here, how
to do soil tests which are still only 5$, diagnose plant diseases and
pests, provide free pamphlets, and in the spring they have master
gardeners fielding telephones for peoples garden questions.

here is a link to the home and garden center

http://www.canr.uconn.edu/garden/
Old 07-03-2004, 05:42 AM
Mark Anderson

In article says...
Hello Everyone,
I am new and from Connecticut, We just moved here a month ago. Into a
new home we have no lawn or anything because the house was just renovated.
We have some seriou seeding to do soon, we are trying ot figure out where
we will garden etc... it is a lot of fun, we have such a large blank canvas.
I am curious what you all know about lawns too, We have a some what
rocky construction site are for a front yard. I know we need to get
most the rocks out before we seed but any other good ideas? Also, we
are trying to figure out what plants grow good in this climate since
we just moved here.

If I were you I'd try and minimize lawn as much as possible by planting
wildflowers. Wildflower seed can be gotten by the pound online for less
than $35 which should be enough to cover your land unless you have a huge
site. Plan out a mixture of lawn and wildflowers such that the grass has
easy turns for your lawn mower and use the lawn as walk ways through your
garden. In your wildflower sections, follow the instructions for spring
planting, plant the seeds on the fresh soil (you're not suppose to till
it much), then plant grass seeds in the grass areas, and let everything
grow. The nice thing about having grass walkways to contain the
wildflowers is that it will look like a planned garden so you'll get less
complaints from neighbors thinking you're just growing a bunch of weeds.
Make sure you have grass pathways by the property lines with your
neighbors too.

If you're into herbs, perennials, annuals, bushes, etc., set aside land
for that as well. You might want to start small and find out what you
like and what grows well in your location. Gardens take years to grow
and as the years go by and you get a feel for the light and location, you
can make changes to suit your vision. The nice thing about wildflowers
is that they're pretty resilient and they can look magnificent the first
year and, unlike annuals, you don't have to plant each flower
individually. Just spread the seeds, water, weed a little, and hope for
rain in Spring.

And don't forget trees. All gardens should have trees. If you plan to
live there awhile, trees take a long time to grow if you plant them from
seedlings and you may as well get a couple started ASAP.

Old 08-03-2004, 12:42 PM
Dwight Sipler

Beecrofter wrote:

...In 1862, Congress passed the MORRILL ACT...

Congress ... passed the HATCH ACT in 1887....

...Congress passed the SMITH LEVER
ACT of 1914....

Thanks for the capsule history lesson. I've been using the extension
service for longer than I'd like to admit, but I didn't know all that.
Old 10-03-2004, 04:51 PM
LFR

That remark was uncalled for. If you knew anything at all, then you would
know that New England soil is excellent for growing rocks.

Tiffany, if you have that many rocks, then why not create a rock garden
(seriously). You are correct about the blank canvas. Have fun creating
your landscape. Where did you relocate from? I moved from Massachusetts to
Virginia and have discovered lots of new plants & trees. I love the Crepe
Myrtle and the big 'ole Magnolias; however, the Red Tip (Photinia) just have
to go.

"Sister Suds" wrote in message
Are you for real? Why don't you try growing rocks. They seem to be growing
very easily inside your head.