Old 05-03-2004, 03:39 PM
Tiffany Bastian

Default I am New.

Hello Everyone,
I am new and from Connecticut, We just moved here a month ago. Into a new home we have no lawn or anything because the house was just renovated. We have some seriou seeding to do soon, we are trying ot figure out where we will garden etc... it is a lot of fun, we have such a large blank canvas. I am curious what you all know about lawns too, We have a some what rocky construction site are for a front yard. I know we need to get most the rocks out before we seed but any other good ideas? Also, we are trying to figure out what plants grow good in this climate since we just moved here.
Thanks for all your help!
Tiffany B

Old 05-03-2004, 04:02 PM
Nate

On Fri, 05 Mar 2004 10:11:55 -0500, Tiffany Bastian wrote:

We just moved here a month ago. Into a new home we have no lawn or anything
because the house was just renovated. We have some seriou seeding to do soon, we
are trying ot figure out where we will garden etc... it is a lot of fun, we have
such a large blank canvas. I am curious what you all know about lawns too, We
have a some what rocky construction site are for a front yard. I know we need to
get most the rocks out before we seed but any other good ideas? Also, we are
trying to figure out what plants grow good in this climate since we just moved

As you said, you have a blank canvas. Minimize the lawn and bring on the
perennials and plantings.

You may wish to visit some area botanic gardens to get ideas. It's
probably a good idea to make this a 3-5 year project so it grows with your
adjusting to the new space.

Ornamental grasses are a must for today's landscape. They hold gardens
together nicely throughout the year. For seasonal variation, plug the
holes with perennials and surprises. Works great around these parts.
Should work nicely for you.

Have fun!
Old 05-03-2004, 04:33 PM
Rich

wrote in message
Hello Everyone,
I am new and from Connecticut, We just moved here a month ago. Into
a new home we have no lawn or anything because the house was just
renovated. We have some seriou seeding to do soon, we are trying ot
figure out where we will garden etc... it is a lot of fun, we have
such a large blank canvas. I am curious what you all know about
lawns too, We have a some what rocky construction site are for a
front yard. I know we need to get most the rocks out before we seed
but any other good ideas? Also, we are trying to figure out what
plants grow good in this climate since we just moved here.
Thanks for all your help!
Tiffany B

Tiffany,

I am pretty new on this newsgroup, but it seems every newsgroup has
someone like whoever "sister suds" is, but I am beginning to understand
the recent "mean spirited" thread of recent posts. If that post was sent
in all seriousness, ignore her. This group can be of great help to both
the amateur gardener and the experienced. Perhaps "Sister" got out of
the wrong side of the bed this am, or perhaps had a fight with a loved
one, who knows, just know your question sure seems pretty valid to me
(but then who am I BG)

I am in NJ, but I have family in CT. Yes you are blessed with rocks all
over CT (thats how they got all those stone walls. Do the best you can
removing the smaller one. The small boulders you might want to plant
around, letting them guide you as to where your beds may be created
(Alpines love rock gardens). Also rocks that cannot be moved can also
become part of a water feature using them to cascade water over.

What kind of sunlight do you have? Also its important to know you soil
acidity before making any recommendations.

Rich Haynes

Old 05-03-2004, 06:20 PM
Dwight Sipler

Tiffany Bastian wrote:

...We have a some what rocky construction site are for a front yard...

Welcome to New England.

I know we need to get most the rocks out before we seed...

Only if you really want a lawn. And then, you only need to get out the
rocks on the surface. But think what a lawn means: Seed, water, water,
water, water, mow, water, mow, water, mow, mow, mow, mow, mow, mow, mow,
mow, mow, mow, mow, mow, weed, mow, mow, mow, mow, water, mow, mow, mow,
mow, mow, mow, mow, mow, mow, mow, mow, water, mow, mow, mow, mow, mow,
mow, mow, mow, mow, mow, mow, mow, mow, mow, mow, mow, mow, mow, mow,
weed, mow, mow, mow, mow, mow, mow, mow, mow, mow, mow, mow, mow, water,
mow, mow, mow, mow, mow, mow, water, mow, mow, mow, mow, mow, mow, mow,
mow, mow, mow, mow, mow, mow, mow, mow, mow, mow, mow, mow, mow, mow,
fertilize, mow, mow, mow, mow, mow, mow, mow, mow, mow, mow, mow, mow,
mow, mow, mow, etc. (Alternatively, hire a lawn service, pay, pay, pay,
pay...) After all that you have a lawn that looks like all the other
lawns around you.

Since you have a blank slate, consider alternatives to a lawn. You have
rocks. Collect them and make a rock garden with some perennials. Make a
flower garden with some combination of perennials and annuals. (If you
are in a subdivision with a homeowners association with teeth, check
their rules first. For some reason they generally want no
individuality.)

If you have kids, you will probably want some lawn for them, but keep a
buffer of shrubs or hedge between them and the road. If you don't have
kids, what do you need a lawn for? Most people don't use it for anything
other than an occasional cookout. Consider a small (depending on your
lawn) soccer field for the neighborhood: get to know your neighbors and
get some exercise.

Set aside the sunniest spot for flowers and vegetables. There's nothing
better than fresh stuff from your own garden.

PS: if this is really a new house, didn't the builder put in a lawn?

Old 05-03-2004, 08:02 PM

Hello Tiffany...

I too am military..(or was, we are retired now)...We lived in VA at the time
and every year they'll give out flower vouchers in the sping for you to get
plants. With those you could make a small flower bed using some of the rocks
as a border.(they never give enough flowers to do a whole lot of planting
with)
You might even want to use more rocks to make a rock garden..(no mowing).
As far as your backyard, you just have to keep watering till the grass takes
hold so to speak.

Good luck living in base housing...

"Tiffany Bastian" wrote in message
Hello Everyone,
I am new and from Connecticut, We just moved here a month ago. Into a new
home we have no lawn or anything because the house was just renovated. We
have some seriou seeding to do soon, we are trying ot figure out where we
will garden etc... it is a lot of fun, we have such a large blank canvas. I
am curious what you all know about lawns too, We have a some what rocky
construction site are for a front yard. I know we need to get most the rocks
out before we seed but any other good ideas? Also, we are trying to figure
out what plants grow good in this climate since we just moved here.
Thanks for all your help!
Tiffany B

---

Old 05-03-2004, 08:05 PM
tmtresh

The back, with sod: Just give it some time. The roots are all in the top
layer. Give it some time to grow into your soil. Also, did they water before
laying the sod? If they didn't, or you don't know, give it a deep watering
(also allowing time for it to penetrate.) Make sure you get the water deep
enough to go into your soil, rather than just in the sod.

The front: Definitely remove the rocks. Add some compost on top. rake it in
a little. Broadcast the seed, cover with straw, keep it moist for about 2
weeks, and you should see some results.