Old 09-03-2004, 01:42 PM
escapee

Default Blue Petunia's

On Mon, 8 Mar 2004 22:20:35 -0800, "gregpresley"
opined:

"Cereus-validus" wrote in message
.com...
Blue flowered Petunias are biochemically impossible. The floral pigment is
carotenoid and the closest you could ever get is a deep purple, never
anything approaching a true blue.

This is just a side note - I find petunias rather boring, but I like scented
flowers. In plunging my nose into thousands of petunia flats over the years,
I have discovered only one variety that is dependably-scented and strongly
clove-scented at all times of day and night - and that is midnight
madness - which is a dark purple flowered petunia with only medium sized
blossoms. For that reason, I plant some every year in locations where people
can enjoy their scent.

On another note, I waited a few years till they came out with a white Wave and
have had mine in the greenhouse all winter. It is looking magnificent and
flowering it's head off!

I know the 'Midnight Madness' and it is a nice one. I have a variegated form.

Old 10-03-2004, 08:12 PM
Françoise

Cereus-validus wrote:

Would Heliotrope be you first choice as a flower to use in a floral dis=

play
to represent the colors of the French flag?

You have a point here.

The problem is that Heliotrope aren't floriferous enough for how Scout
intends to use them. Are there white and red Heliotrope too?

I only saw and heard of bleu Heliotrope. There may be other colors though=
=2E

Fran=E7oise

What would Atticus Finch do in this situation?

"Fran=E7oise" wrote in message
You can choose Marine Heliotrope, Heliotropium arborescens. It is a
beautiful,
exotic plant with dark green leaves and dark blue 4-6 inch flower clust=

ers
above
branching stems. It is called Marine because it is really dark bleu. It=

has
vanilla fragrance, which is very nice. I have been planting heliotropes=

for
the
past 4 years and I love them. I start seeds indoors 10-12 weeks before =

last
frost date. I think that they can grow to 10 - 12 feet high. But if you=

only
want petunias, I cannot help you.

Fran=E7oise.

Cereus-validus wrote:

Blue flowered Petunias are biochemically impossible. The floral pigme=

nt is
carotenoid and the closest you could ever get is a deep purple, never=

anything approaching a true blue.

Lobelia erinus is the traditional plant grown for a true blue flower

color.
There are also selections of it with white, pink and red flowers!

"Scout Lady" wrote in message
I have been looking for blue petunia's and although I found some th=

at
say
they are blue they look purple rather than blue. Is it my monitor o=

r are
there petunia's that are dark blue in color?

Anyone have a suggestion for an alternative blue flower? I am plann=

ing
on
fourth of July party and I wanted to do one of the back flowerbeds =

in
red,
white and blue for a change in color. Petunia's always grew quite w=

ell
in
this space so I'm trying to stick with something I know will grow w=

ell
or
equally as well.

---