Old 08-03-2004, 01:08 PM
Scout Lady

Default Blue Petunia's

I have been looking for blue petunia's and although I found some that say
they are blue they look purple rather than blue. Is it my monitor or are
there petunia's that are dark blue in color?

Anyone have a suggestion for an alternative blue flower? I am planning on a
fourth of July party and I wanted to do one of the back flowerbeds in red,
white and blue for a change in color. Petunia's always grew quite well in
this space so I'm trying to stick with something I know will grow well or
equally as well.

---

Old 08-03-2004, 02:11 PM
escapee

In the floriculture industry, blue refers to anything from purple to true blue.
However, when something is true blue, that's how it's referred to.

Some blue flowers which are easy a

Salvia farinacea 'Victoria Blue'
Forget me nots
Salvia argentea 'Black and Blue'
Salvia Mexicana

So many...do a search on true blue flowers.

On Mon, 8 Mar 2004 07:38:37 -0500, "Scout Lady"
opined:

Old 08-03-2004, 03:15 PM
Cereus-validus

Blue flowered Petunias are biochemically impossible. The floral pigment is
carotenoid and the closest you could ever get is a deep purple, never
anything approaching a true blue.

Lobelia erinus is the traditional plant grown for a true blue flower color.
There are also selections of it with white, pink and red flowers!

Old 08-03-2004, 09:32 PM
Françoise

You can choose Marine Heliotrope, Heliotropium arborescens. It is a beau=
tiful,
exotic plant with dark green leaves and dark blue 4-6 inch flower cluster=
s above
branching stems. It is called Marine because it is really dark bleu. It h=
as a
vanilla fragrance, which is very nice. I have been planting heliotropes f=
or the
past 4 years and I love them. I start seeds indoors 10-12 weeks before la=
st
frost date. I think that they can grow to 10 - 12 feet high. But if you o=
nly
want petunias, I cannot help you.

Fran=E7oise.

Old 08-03-2004, 10:11 PM
Cereus-validus

Would Heliotrope be you first choice as a flower to use in a floral display
to represent the colors of the French flag?

The problem is that Heliotrope aren't floriferous enough for how Scout
intends to use them. Are there white and red Heliotrope too?

What would Atticus Finch do in this situation?

"Françoise" wrote in message
You can choose Marine Heliotrope, Heliotropium arborescens. It is a
beautiful,
exotic plant with dark green leaves and dark blue 4-6 inch flower clusters
above
branching stems. It is called Marine because it is really dark bleu. It has
vanilla fragrance, which is very nice. I have been planting heliotropes for
the
past 4 years and I love them. I start seeds indoors 10-12 weeks before last
frost date. I think that they can grow to 10 - 12 feet high. But if you only
want petunias, I cannot help you.

Françoise.

Old 08-03-2004, 11:56 PM
Penny Morgan

You could try Blue Daze. They are smaller flowers, but bloom profusely and
will do well in the same conditions as petunias. They are a softer, medium
blue. Another option would be to use Victoria Blue Salvia. It grows
quickly, has multiple dark blue spikes all summer, and is super easy to
grow. I cut some and mix with daisies or sunflowers sometimes.

The Blue Daze hugs the ground and spreads like petunias, but the Salvia
bushes upright to 15-18" tall.

If I were doing a patriotic garden, I would use Victoria Blue Salvia, White
Butterfly Pentas and Red Dragon Wing Begonias.

And, yes the petunias are actually purple in color. Wave Petunias came out
with Blue Wave last year and it's a deep purple color.

Hope this helps you.

Penny
Zone 7b - North Carolina

Old 09-03-2004, 07:02 AM
gregpresley

"Cereus-validus" wrote in message
. com...
Blue flowered Petunias are biochemically impossible. The floral pigment is
carotenoid and the closest you could ever get is a deep purple, never
anything approaching a true blue.

This is just a side note - I find petunias rather boring, but I like scented
flowers. In plunging my nose into thousands of petunia flats over the years,
I have discovered only one variety that is dependably-scented and strongly
clove-scented at all times of day and night - and that is midnight
madness - which is a dark purple flowered petunia with only medium sized
blossoms. For that reason, I plant some every year in locations where people
can enjoy their scent.

Old 09-03-2004, 01:32 PM
escapee

On Mon, 8 Mar 2004 22:20:35 -0800, "gregpresley"
opined:

"Cereus-validus" wrote in message
.com...
Blue flowered Petunias are biochemically impossible. The floral pigment is
carotenoid and the closest you could ever get is a deep purple, never
anything approaching a true blue.

This is just a side note - I find petunias rather boring, but I like scented
flowers. In plunging my nose into thousands of petunia flats over the years,
I have discovered only one variety that is dependably-scented and strongly
clove-scented at all times of day and night - and that is midnight
madness - which is a dark purple flowered petunia with only medium sized
blossoms. For that reason, I plant some every year in locations where people
can enjoy their scent.

On another note, I waited a few years till they came out with a white Wave and
have had mine in the greenhouse all winter. It is looking magnificent and
flowering it's head off!

I know the 'Midnight Madness' and it is a nice one. I have a variegated form.