Old 11-03-2004, 01:12 AM
brian

Default rebar in garden..... why?

For the sake of potentially sounding crazy.........

Bought an older house. The previous owner (who I never met/talked to)
stuck one-foot sections of rebar (like they use to reinforce concrete)
into the soil around the garden. The rebar is "planted" vertically
(with about six inches protruding from the soil) and is spaced about
six feet apart and is connected together with thin , bare wire.

Anyone have a clue as to what the purpose of this is??????

My uneducated guesses are.....

- adds iron to the soil? (does not explain why connected with thin
wire)
- keeps varmints away? (how?)
- some kind of electrolysis action going on?

Any wacky replies are welcome.

Brian

Old 11-03-2004, 02:02 AM
brian

"gregpresley" wrote:

How he marked the bodies he buried there?

Possible. That _would_ be considered organic gardening, no?
Old 11-03-2004, 02:12 AM
Timothy

On Wed, 10 Mar 2004 20:10:52 -0500, brian wrote:

For the sake of potentially sounding crazy.........

Bought an older house. The previous owner (who I never met/talked to)
stuck one-foot sections of rebar (like they use to reinforce concrete)
into the soil around the garden. The rebar is "planted" vertically (with
about six inches protruding from the soil) and is spaced about six feet
apart and is connected together with thin , bare wire.

Anyone have a clue as to what the purpose of this is??????

My uneducated guesses are.....

- adds iron to the soil? (does not explain why connected with thin wire)
- keeps varmints away? (how?)
- some kind of electrolysis action going on?

Any wacky replies are welcome.

Brian

I could see how one could hook the power leads of an electric fence
transformer to the rebar/wire to discourage rabbits and other small
animals. Other than that...? Hard to say what some people are thinking
sometimes. Sounds like you have a bit of rebar and with to yank up eh?
Good luck.
Old 11-03-2004, 04:02 AM
brian

"Timothy" wrote:

I thought of electrical also but the wires are not connected to
anything (other than going from rebar to rebar to rebar)

It will not be a big deal to remove 20-30 pieces of rebar but before
doing so thought I'd see if they were there for a valid reason for
them being there in the first place (and if anyone had a theory about
why they were there).

Old 11-03-2004, 04:05 AM
Hound Dog

"brian" wrote in message
For the sake of potentially sounding crazy.........

Bought an older house. The previous owner (who I never met/talked to)
stuck one-foot sections of rebar (like they use to reinforce concrete)
into the soil around the garden. The rebar is "planted" vertically
(with about six inches protruding from the soil) and is spaced about
six feet apart and is connected together with thin , bare wire.

Anyone have a clue as to what the purpose of this is??????

My uneducated guesses are.....

- adds iron to the soil? (does not explain why connected with thin
wire)
- keeps varmints away? (how?)
- some kind of electrolysis action going on?

Any wacky replies are welcome.

Brian

To mark the garden's boundaries?

Hound Dog

Old 11-03-2004, 04:32 AM
zxcvbob

brian wrote:
For the sake of potentially sounding crazy.........

Bought an older house. The previous owner (who I never met/talked to)
stuck one-foot sections of rebar (like they use to reinforce concrete)
into the soil around the garden. The rebar is "planted" vertically
(with about six inches protruding from the soil) and is spaced about
six feet apart and is connected together with thin , bare wire.

Anyone have a clue as to what the purpose of this is??????

Modern art.

Best regards,
Bob
Old 11-03-2004, 06:19 AM
B & J

"brian" wrote in message
For the sake of potentially sounding crazy.........

Bought an older house. The previous owner (who I never met/talked to)
stuck one-foot sections of rebar (like they use to reinforce concrete)
into the soil around the garden. The rebar is "planted" vertically
(with about six inches protruding from the soil) and is spaced about
six feet apart and is connected together with thin , bare wire.

Any wacky replies are welcome.

Brian

Would it be unreasonable to find out the previous owner's name, new phone
number, and give him a call? That seems to have some logic to me.

John

Old 11-03-2004, 09:42 AM
Jet Dove

brian wrote in message . ..
For the sake of potentially sounding crazy.........

Bought an older house. The previous owner (who I never met/talked to)
stuck one-foot sections of rebar (like they use to reinforce concrete)
into the soil around the garden. The rebar is "planted" vertically
(with about six inches protruding from the soil) and is spaced about
six feet apart and is connected together with thin , bare wire.

Anyone have a clue as to what the purpose of this is??????

My uneducated guesses are.....

- adds iron to the soil? (does not explain why connected with thin
wire)
- keeps varmints away? (how?)
- some kind of electrolysis action going on?

Any wacky replies are welco

Brian

To keep the robotic lawn mower out of the vegetable garden.
- Jet
Old 11-03-2004, 01:03 PM
David J Bockman

I've used rebar as the foundation for bamboo poles in a variety of
structures. Without it, the bamboo end nearest the ground rots away fairly
quickly.

Dave

Old 11-03-2004, 01:12 PM
Dwight Sipler

brian wrote:

For the sake of potentially sounding crazy.........

Bought an older house. The previous owner (who I never met/talked to)
stuck one-foot sections of rebar (like they use to reinforce concrete)
into the soil around the garden. The rebar is "planted" vertically
(with about six inches protruding from the soil) and is spaced about
six feet apart and is connected together with thin , bare wire.

Anyone have a clue as to what the purpose of this is??????

I would guess that (s)he was dividing the garden up into individual
plots so that (s)he could organize his(er) plantings (and keep track of
rotations) and the rebar/wire was something (s)he just had lying about
so (s)he used it.

Old 11-03-2004, 01:32 PM
escapee

It may have been where he had a hoop house/cold frame and the rebar is where he
attached his structural supports for it. Do a search for Elliott Coleman and
see if you can find any photo's of how he made inexpensive hoop cold frames to
extend the growing season.

Victoria

On Wed, 10 Mar 2004 20:10:52 -0500, brian
opined:

Old 11-03-2004, 04:32 PM
Ken Williams

Having moved into a house w/ rebar in the garden (but no wire
attaching), I'll give my best guess (at least for my situation).

The previous owner setup a garden around the backyard, in one section it
had rebar about every 18 inches. In this section only, are wild
raspberry bushes. When the raspberries grow in the summer, they grow
out of control. Without the rebar there, they are all over the lawn. I
was actually surprised how much the rebar held back the plants, even
though it was spaced as far apart as it was. I didn't realize this,
pulled them all. I've since replaced it with something not so ugly.

Ken Williams

(Remove .zz when replying.)