Old 13-03-2004, 11:25 PM
Brendan O

Default How to KILL Arrowhead?

I have broadleaf Arrowhead, maybe it's called Arrowroot, I can't remember.
It's a dense bulb growth that is taking over areas of my property. I have
tried everything from Roundup, to Crossbow, to Diesel (yes, I was willing
to try anything). The look sick afterword, but don't die.

What will actually KILL these bulbs once and for all instead of digging
them? Digging isn't an option.

Thanks for your guidance!
-Brendan
Old 15-03-2004, 06:04 PM
K, T, E & N

If my Mom looks at them they are going to die. snort Plastic plants turn
black when she gets her hands on them. It's really embarrassing. I always
think "poor plants" when ever she heads to the garden center.

What would work? No water, no nutrients. Black thick plastic weighted down
by bricks. Leave through the summer over the area that you want decimated.

You'll have an empty place to 'start over' on. Till in good compost,
aerate, plant it.

Kim

Old 15-03-2004, 11:34 PM
Frogleg

On Mon, 15 Mar 2004 09:14:16 -0600, "K, T, E & N"
wrote:

What would work? No water, no nutrients. Black thick plastic weighted down
by bricks. Leave through the summer over the area that you want decimated.

You'll have an empty place to 'start over' on. Till in good compost,
aerate, plant it.

Um. Arrowhead (Sagittaria) is an aquatic plant.

Old 16-03-2004, 12:05 AM
Janice

wrote:

What would work? No water, no nutrients. Black thick plastic weighted down
by bricks. Leave through the summer over the area that you want decimated.

You'll have an empty place to 'start over' on. Till in good compost,
aerate, plant it.

Um. Arrowhead (Sagittaria) is an aquatic plant.

I think they're talking about Syngonium podophyllum
Nephthytis, African evergreen, Arrowhead vine, Goosefoot plant
syn. Syngonium angustatum
Family Araceae

http://www.geocities.com/gratim98/asyngon.htm

I could be wrong.. and I'm sure lots of folks will tell me if I'm
wrong ;-)

It's a plant that will grow from water, bog, dry and go dormant in
drought. Friend had a poor pitiful cat chewed sansevaria .. green
version of mother in law's tongue.. I watered it, and to my shock and
surprise, up came the arrowhead plant! I've seen them growing in fish
tanks up and over the side too.

Janice

Old 16-03-2004, 12:34 AM
paghat

wrote:

What would work? No water, no nutrients. Black thick plastic weighted down
by bricks. Leave through the summer over the area that you want decimated.

You'll have an empty place to 'start over' on. Till in good compost,
aerate, plant it.

Um. Arrowhead (Sagittaria) is an aquatic plant.

I think the plant meant was arum, which has arrow shaped leaves & probably
called arrowheads in some localities. I love mine, but some people have
found them a terrible, terrible burden. Fancier mottled or dwarf
cultivars are slow to establish & not invasive, but the big wild form has
become a noxious weed in some places around the world.The only way to get
rid of it is dig it up, &amp never let the beautiful red seedheads
completely ripen, as after the seed-stock is ripe & falls over, insects
carry the seeds considerable distances, clean the fruit off it, & leave
the seed to start elsewhere. The big hood-flowers & the bright berry
stalks can be decorative for a long time in the garden, but before those
berries tip over & begin to mush up, they should be havested & thrown away
(not composted; they'll often survive the heat of composts).

It survives herbicides because it can spring back up strong as ever from
surviving fragments of its far-reaching stolons. One must either learn to
appreciate it for its very real beauty & late-winter ornamental strengths,
or dig it up to discard as religiously as one would do with perennial
morning glory or dandylions. Some things will frankly never be gotten rid
of entirely, & there are no shortcuts & absolute resolutions that won't do
a great deal more harm to all the rest of the garden than to an arum.

-paghat the ratgirl

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"

Old 16-03-2004, 12:43 AM
paghat

wrote:

[...]

[IMG] code is On

Broadleaf Arrowhead 3Putt in Coastal SC Garden Photos 0 08-08-2008 02:32 AM
To kill a pine tree... Bart Lawns 37 03-04-2007 08:39 PM
How much emyacin to kill slime algae? [email protected] Freshwater Aquaria Plants 2 20-04-2003 06:08 AM
how can i kill rye grass?? info Gardening 6 03-03-2003 04:27 PM
Will Tylan (an antibiotic) kill my christmas tree? Dick N. Bush Lawns 0 06-12-2002 07:47 AM