Old 17-03-2004, 04:42 AM
Suzie-Q

Default Freesia

Can freesia be planted in a pot? If so, how small can the pot be? I'm
thinking about a 10" hanging pot.

Do I follow the same instructions for planting in the ground re.
depth and distance apart?

Thanks in advance,
--
8^)~~~ Sue (remove the x to e-mail)
~~~~~~

http://home.earthlink.net/~sme617
Old 17-03-2004, 08:48 PM
M. Tiefert

Suzie-Q wrote:
Can freesia be planted in a pot? If so, how small can the pot be? I'm
thinking about a 10" hanging pot.

Do I follow the same instructions for planting in the ground re.
depth and distance apart?

Thanks in advance,

Yes! My freesias are very happy in a couple of pots this year! They're
just in standard 10-inch (I think) pots.

They didn't do as well last year, probably because the winter was not
quite as cool and wet as this winter was (East of the San Francisco Bay,
beyond the first range of hills, but not really far inland). This year,
were're going on into the second week of a heat wave and they're still
happy.

Mine are a bit crowded by now, since I didn't dig any up last year,
although the local squirrel might have grabbed a couple bulbs.

cheers,

Marj
--
Marj Tiefert: http://www.mindspring.com/~mtiefert/
Mediterranean Garden Shop: http://stores.tiefert.com/garden/

Old 18-03-2004, 01:34 PM
Garrapata

On Wed, 17 Mar 2004 04:37:21 GMT, Suzie-Q
wrote:

Can freesia be planted in a pot? If so, how small can the pot be? I'm
thinking about a 10" hanging pot.

No problem

Do I follow the same instructions for planting in the ground re.
depth and distance apart?

3-5 in a 10" pot maybe 7 if they are small
Depth isn't critical - a couple of inches

I leave mine in the pots for a few years, this is the third year for
most of mine and they are at their peak this year. I will probably
repot when they die down this year.

Old 21-03-2004, 09:35 AM
Michelle

wrote:

Can freesia be planted in a pot? If so, how small can the pot be? I'm
thinking about a 10" hanging pot.

Do I follow the same instructions for planting in the ground re.
depth and distance apart?

Thanks in advance,

Just a question can they be grown in zone 6 and just left in the
ground mulched and come up the next year or do they have to be dug
up?
Old 23-03-2004, 02:02 AM
V_coerulea

I plant freesias in a 10-12 in pot at 8-10bulbs/pot. I take one of the
commercial "tomato" cages (which are worthless for tomatoes), shorten the
spike legs if you have to, and push it into the pot. It does a great job of
keeping all that lanky growth in place and gives nice tall stems for
cutting. A cool grenhouse also helps.
Gary

Old 23-03-2004, 02:12 AM
zxcvbob

V_coerulea wrote:
I plant freesias in a 10-12 in pot at 8-10bulbs/pot. I take one of the
commercial "tomato" cages (which are worthless for tomatoes), shorten the
spike legs if you have to, and push it into the pot. It does a great job of
keeping all that lanky growth in place and gives nice tall stems for
cutting. A cool grenhouse also helps.
Gary

I've never grown them before, and I just put 25 in a 10 or 12" hanging
basket pot yesterday. Do I need to dig them up and put half of them in a
different pot? Will they do better if I put them in a cool place instead
of warm?

Thanks, regards,
Bob

[IMG] code is On

Freesia bulbs and the weather Jim Lesurf United Kingdom 0 18-02-2005 03:27 PM
Freesia question Mike Fitzpatrick United Kingdom 3 22-07-2004 06:21 PM
Freesia question Mike Fitzpatrick United Kingdom 47 22-07-2004 08:21 AM
Freesia Upside Down? Suzie-Q Gardening 1 01-04-2004 03:53 PM
Freesia Upside Down? Suzie-Q Gardening 2 01-04-2004 02:52 PM