Old 24-03-2004, 10:12 PM
MOM PEAGRAM

Default anyone planting their gardens this week?

It's a little cold here yet, but I've just started my seeds in a flat. I'm
using an old waterbed heater to warm the soil. I grow sunflowers every
year. In fact they are voluntaries and I just leave them for the birds.

"gardener" wrote in message
I am starting my organic garden this week and wonder if there are other

folks
out there who are doing the same.
I know you are supposed to plant radishes and lettuces directly into the

soil,
but I did them in flats first.
Have you ever transplanted radishes? I am going to try it.
I did the same with my beets.
Also, has someone else successfully grown Sunflowers?
I know this may be off the preserving subject, but
if you are preserving you are probably growing as well.
the gardener

Old 25-03-2004, 12:04 AM
paghat

I'm planting extremely little lately because so much of my gardening funds
went to flagstones & other landscaping materials, but I've been preparing
new garden spaces AS THOUGH i could afford to fill them with new things. I
have been doing some transplanting into new areas, for anything that has
struggled in its old locations or which could not be seen easily enough.
Some loganberry bushes for instance, stopped producing berries in their
increasingly shady location as big shrubs got bigger all 'round them, so
now they're in a spot where they get a smidgen of afternoon sun which I
sure hope will be enough to liven them up. Sometimes not being able to go
out & splurge on new things is useful, when there's already so much needs
to be done without adding new plants with new tasks.

-paghat the ratgirl

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"

Old 26-03-2004, 12:02 AM
NAearthMOM

I have already started seeds of sweet peas, big boy tomatoes, hot peppers,
and sunflowers!

Today I planted my gems I just got from niche gardens : echinacea (yellow
and lavendar) rudbeckia, and asters. I am trying their 7 foot black eyed susans
this year!

Love caryn
"Come into my garden, my flowers want to meet you!"
Old 26-03-2004, 07:12 PM
NAearthMOM

you go girl!

Aaah, to be in california!