Old 01-04-2004, 07:37 AM
McQualude

Default Any suggestion for a foundation planting to replace shrubs?

I have some ugly, scraggly, dull green shrubs that I plan to rip out, but
my wife is hesitant until we have something to replace them with; she
doesn't want a 'naked' house. I'm looking for some ideas that will look
nice year round and preserve our house's modesty. Thanks for any ideas.

Oh, and I have small children so nothing that makes poison berries,
stinks, grows spikes or attracts ungodly amounts of bees.
We have all those plants already
--
McQualude
Old 01-04-2004, 09:39 AM
paghat

In article , McQualude
wrote:

I have some ugly, scraggly, dull green shrubs that I plan to rip out, but
my wife is hesitant until we have something to replace them with; she
doesn't want a 'naked' house. I'm looking for some ideas that will look
nice year round and preserve our house's modesty. Thanks for any ideas.

Oh, and I have small children so nothing that makes poison berries,
stinks, grows spikes or attracts ungodly amounts of bees.
We have all those plants already

You don't say your zone, & it makes a big difference. It would also be
nice to know what kind of shrub did NOT do well that you would like to get
rid of it all.

I live on Puget Sound. A few things that look nice right up close to a
house include:

1) Western syringa (Philadelphus lewisii) & if you can find the "double"
flowered cultivar, so much the better, though an ordinary wild one is a
great shrub. Deciduous; white flowers overhwelming scent of
orange-blossoms hence sometimes called a Mock Orange -- don't plant right
next to door, the scent can be a bit much.

2) Abelia. Another large fountaining shrub, huge racemes of pink & white
flowers, leaves with red hues, & largely evergreen except in very cold
zones. Huge & fountaining if left to "go wild" but easily restrained by
pruning.

3) "Diablo" aka "Monlo" Ninebark. Deciduous, interesting exfoliating bark
keeps it interesting in winter. Purble-black foliage, white pompom flowers
turn to bright red seeds. Left to its own devices, it grows 9 to 12 feet
tall but takes well to being pruned to any size preferred.

4) For something a bit smaller than all the above, check what varieties of
Spirea are recommended in your area.

5) Ribes species, either Flowering Current for maximum flower-power &
moderate fruiting (edible dusted-blue, but not the tastiest) go for Ribes
sanguineum, many cultivars to select from; but for maximum fruiting VERY
edible, try Ribes rubrum, the berries are glassy bright red beauties. In a
few places there are restrictions on planting ribes. Six to ten foot range
is common.

6) Deciduous azaleas. Go for scented varieties.

7) Arona melanocarpa, Choke Berry. Beautiful flowers, harmless black
berries, pretty leaves that turn bright colors in autumn, & stays pretty
short.

8) Blueberries. Get three different cultivars for cross-pollination
maximizing, you'lll not only have gorgeous shrubs with gorgeous blossoms,
but lots of blueberries to mix into muffin or pancake batter.

9) Camelea sasanqua hybrids. This is for the shadiest side ofd the house.
Autumn & winter bloomers. Pretty much limited to zones 7 & 8 however.
Easily espaliered & trainedto fill specific spaces against walls, like
around a window; they are woody shrubs but can be almost like vines.

10) Ireonclad rhododendrons. Beautiful leathery leaves year round, & one
month each year those famous flowers. Ironclads are the toughest lowest
care oldest hardiest varietes, almost every color.

11) Escallonia. Sunniest side of house. Largely evergreen, white to pink
flowers (several cultivars). No maintenance except every few years it may
want cutting back or will get leggy/floppy.

12) Dwarf beech tree cultivars. Many of these max out at six or eight
feet, must be selected carefully with mature size in mind.

13) Viburnum trilobum or Viburnum sargentiana. Lacecap flowers, bright red
edible berries, maple-shaped leaves lovely colors in autumn, easily
espaliered to a wall trellis or just left to go big & bushy.

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"

Old 01-04-2004, 06:46 PM
escapee

I suggest dwarf yaupon holly.

On Wed, 31 Mar 2004 15:54:26 GMT, McQualude opined: