Old 06-04-2004, 07:26 PM
Mrs. Fricker

Default My own experience with Lowes Outside Lawn and Garden lately

Get a life. You don't get paid enough to think, especially about other
people's mistakes. Learn to enjoy your colleagues and customers. Don't
fret what you can't control. It will drive you even more insane.
Old 06-04-2004, 07:39 PM
LeeAnne

Hey Mad, sorry to hear things are so sh*tty for you at the moment. Do what
you can to help and keep your eyes peeled at all times for other
opportunities :-)

And, ignore the people who want to be assholes to you, you've got more
friends and people that enjoy reading your posts than you do ones who want
to rag on you about things - so no worries. If people don't like what you
have to say, they simply can ignore your posts, it's not that difficult.

Spring is coming, but winter is still here near Boston dag gummit!

~LeeAnne

"madgardener" wrote in message

well, no. This is East Tennessee. I make much more at Lowe's than at

other
places. Lowes pays me around $7.64 an hour. Minimum wages here are just

what
they are.......$5.25. If I was lucky, a nursery would pay me $6 an hour
despite my massive amount of knowledge, experience and dedication and

sales
abilities. Knoxville is 48 miles away where there are a few more nurseries
but at the rising cost of gas, it's not an option. I can't solve the
problem, it's higher up and decided. I'm not wasting energy trying to find
who's to blame. I KNOW who's to blame and it does me no good honey. As for
that wonderful person who tried to rip into me in the previous post, once
again that shows me what I get for trying to alert people of things that
seem important to me. I'll just post about the gardens and what not here

in
the future. wears me out and reminds me why I don't visit here like I

did.
There are a lot of intolerant people around lately for someone as caring

as
myself. You're fine by me, I'm just over some of this attitude towards my
compassions.

hope spring is cranking up where you are.
madgardener

endorsements or recommendations I make.

Old 06-04-2004, 08:12 PM
madgardener

"LeeAnne" wrote in message
Hey Mad, sorry to hear things are so sh*tty for you at the moment. Do

what
you can to help and keep your eyes peeled at all times for other
opportunities :-)

Then I really do own the newsgroup a sincere apology because I wasn't
whinning or upset when I posted about the plants and Lowes. Things aren't
shitty honey. Really! I don't have to worry about another job, or am I in
jeapordy of losing my job. It's secure. Perhaps there was something in my
tone when I wrote it so to speak that misconstrued what I pasted here.

I put the original post and the responses to share. And the cut and pasted
post on the forum from someone else with their experience with Home Depot
and the paint.

I shouldn't do stuff like that Lee Anne...really! g

And, ignore the people who want to be assholes to you, you've got more
friends and people that enjoy reading your posts than you do ones who want

to rag on you about things - so no worries. If people don't like what you
have to say, they simply can ignore your posts, it's not that difficult.

And you're right. I don't pay attention to the negative, but I also look at
what that person is saying towards me. It's an insight I don't have. They're
looking at me and probably noticing that I haven't communicated well enough
and it's causing the negative reaction. Obviously I set my tone of my
written observation at work recently in such a way it sounded like I was
totally dissatisfied with the job. Not true. I like my job, I'm still
outside with the plants and customers and I'll keep on writing my whacky
rambling posts about my flowers and the fairies experiences.

I'm just grateful that I have a way to communicate with other people and
gardeners on top of it which makes each of us rather unique and special (by
the way...).

Spring is coming, but winter is still here near Boston dag gummit!

Well, we are in the middle of almost full blown spring, redbuds blooming,
dogwoods bulking up too soon, all manner of perennials and reseeding
annuals, shrubs, even the oaks and tulip poplars are plumped out and we're
in a cold snap. The old folks call it a redbud winter. The winds are from
the north where you are, mixed in with some massive humidity left behind
from a front that brought a cold ass rain yesterday. Today it spit cold
stuff and hovered around the upper 30's to low 40's and I worked outside.

But there were perennials that came in today that I got first peek at, a new
bright red dianthus that is the older typed fragrant one but it's very
strongly clove scented. And Grace Ward came in. The blue of those flowers is
absolutely irresitable. I had two plants to survive from last year and the
girth of the original plant has dimished and paled in comparrison to the new
plants. Of course. The two I bought today replaced four I lost, but I
sprinkled pea gravel thick around the soil under the clump which is what
they want. they're rock garden plants. they love to scramble over rocks. so
that's what I did this time. I put them in poor soil and in containers with
rocks in it and around them like I do with hens and chicks.

And there I was, freezing my butt off, running a cash register, in the wet
and cold and was still thinking about plants. Told the hard core customers
that kept coming in because they have spring fever too and where I work has
too many annuals and too early perennials. It was still neat. Gotta laugh,
Lee Anne, because they got in BLOOMING Iceland poppies today, and more red
asian lilies in either bloom or full bud. And blooming coreopsis. I mean,
it's hilarious to say the least. Give's me something to look forward to in
May g!!

What I really want to do is check blooming shrubs. I've been off enough that
there are new shrubs come in I am unaware of. It's still neat! A customer
bought a weeping cherry tree today that I swear was a 10 year old tree. And
in full bloom. Kewell in it's own way, all twisted and such. I would have
missed that if I hadn't been working in the garden center g the lady who
bought it had such a smile! I'd do that too if I had the money to purchase
a nice maturing ornamental 10 year old tree BSEG

right now my black cherry tree is in complete and total bloom. You should
see the pictures.............

maddie

Old 06-04-2004, 08:15 PM
madgardener

"Harriet Nation" wrote in message
Enough already!!!!! Who cares that you want a pat on the back. Who would
want such a cry baby on the payroll?

?? pat on the back?? I don't remember deserving or asking for a pat on the
back.................
maddie who got a raise today GBSEG

Old 06-04-2004, 08:24 PM

Ahhh... but you cannot MAKE anybody feel anything. and frankly there are a lot of
people who are more than willing to be black holes of negativity without anybodys
"help". you are not a negative person. Ingrid

"madgardener" wrote:
I don't pay attention to the negative, but I also look at
what that person is saying towards me. It's an insight I don't have. They're
looking at me and probably noticing that I haven't communicated well enough
and it's causing the negative reaction.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.

Old 06-04-2004, 08:26 PM
madgardener

wrote in message
Ahhh... but you cannot MAKE anybody feel anything. and frankly there are

a lot of
people who are more than willing to be black holes of negativity without

anybodys
"help". you are not a negative person. Ingrid

And you are so right, Ingrid. But,maybe it's me, but I am getting weary of
people who are so opinionated and intolerant of someone like myself who just
likes to alert people about situations I am involved with. Working at Lowes
gives me an inside view. I try to be totally objective about these things.
I don't repeat gossip, and I also realize both sides of the situation.
Rather than let it upset me or drive me away, the responses from some people
just reminded me of what you put so short and sweet. I know I can't make
people feel anything. But if I reached a few with my observations, maybe I
can make a small dent. My attitudes about things of this nature (along
with others, like Monsanto, Monrovia, etc) are just that. My attitudes. I
don't expect the world to be like me or think or feel like I do. There are
enough compassionate people out there that gives me a small speck of hope
that we can make a difference and set some things right.

I've always said I can't change the world, but I can take care of my little
corner of it where I live. I guess I'm naive when I think that most
gardeners care and are compassionate. I keep forgetting that gardeners are
still people. Diversified in their manners, habits,attitudes and beliefs
just as the people's of this little blue marble are.

I won't let it flatten me. g Today the skies have partially cleared out.
The sky is bright scrubbed powder blue. The sun is out warming the chilled
earth here, where yesterday it was biting cold and damp and miserable. Even
the birds were not singing with as much passion yesterday. I did get chirps
and weeps of gratitude from the hordes of yellow,rose and other finches that
have swarmed Fairy Holler and depleted the socks of thistle seed, as I
filled the six tubes up with fresh seed. And I was blessed by a titmouse as
he lit on me while I hung the extra suet cage in the young pawlonia tree so
they'd all have some warmth giving food to tide them over this cold snap we
had. Redbud winter, almost Dogwood winter were it not for the fact that the
dogwoods are just now unfolding their bracts.

Tomorrow I will be working until the mid afternoon, but want to write a post
and share early spring with you. Thanks for the kind and uplifting words,
Ingrid.

madgardener. Up on the ridge, back in Fairy Holler, where thru the eastern
window in the nook, I can barely see the blue sky for all the black cherry
blossoms. Overlooking English Mountain (I bet today I can actually SEE it
instead of the dark, low clouds and mysts that were these yesterday) in
Eastern Tennessee, zone 7, Sunset zone 36

Old 06-04-2004, 08:41 PM
Marcy Hege

MG, just to let you know, here's one of your NG readers who appreciated the
heads-up on the happenings at Lowes. Thanks for all your written ramblings
about Fairy Holler. I just hope that one day, the fairies work some of that
same magic around my place. I'm trying to encourage them but I've got a lot of
space that needs lots of amending before the fairies can really work their
magic.

Old 06-04-2004, 08:44 PM

"madgardener" wrote:
I don't pay attention to the negative, but I also look at
what that person is saying towards me. It's an insight I don't have. They're
looking at me and probably noticing that I haven't communicated well enough
and it's causing the negative reaction.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.

Old 06-04-2004, 08:51 PM
madgardener

Thanks Marcy. To give you an idea..........a gardener and customer from
Lowes has decided to befriend me. She invited me to her house, and after we
went to my favorite Mexican restaurant for lunch one day, I followed her to
her house where I looked at all her places she had ideas for. Turn about
was fair play and I invited her last Sunday since it was nice and before the
bad weather to come up to fairy holler to just see some of the spring that
is happening. I gave her the $5 tour...........it took us about an hour or
so to meet and greet every flower and to give her an idea of my basic rough
plan. I say rough. In her eyes it was overwhelming and amazing and "wow".
I don't see it that way at all. Like I said, I paint with words what I
"see". It took me 9 years here in this house to get to what she saw as my
humble mumblings of what I've done so far. I garden frantically. I sometimes
plant several things together. Like the azeala's I got today for $1.50
apiece because despite the lable that said white, they were red speckled and
had slashes of pinkish red on the white petals like the fairies had slopped
paint onto them. And another plant was totally and altogether different. It
had the speckles, and slashes, and the main petals were indeed white, but
there were 6 distinct pink with white edging flowers, each one unique. Out
of all the azaela's that came last week, there were only 5 of these that
were different. I grabbed the two colored one and a speckled with paint
one.

Now they're both planted together under the protective skirts of the
Sorbaria, non-blooming dogwood baby, and behind the Cornelian Cherry tree in
the NSSG. Given time I hope they will root into the good soil and scare me
with their height g I never think of these things. They either work or
they don't. But poor Diane was overwhelmed because what I take for granted
was HUGE for her, but I don't take it for granted. If I did that, I wouldn't
mind when Sugar dug up those four major beds. No, I work quite hard with
the fairies to plant this madness and if it comes together then it's even
better. If it doesn't work, I look at the idea and either improve on it or
move on to something else. That's all part of the fun of gardening. Your
garden will shape up.

If you'd like a smile, and a literal image, let me know and I'll send you a
picture of my constipated flower beds from last late spring to make you feel
better....g thanks for being there Marcy. You've been there all these
year like quite a few of my friends have been here on the newsgroup.

For what it's worth.......I am NEVER going to post something like what I did
here or even on Garden Web ever again because I really don't want to upset
"Spike" and be banished. And as for here, I respect the people here too much
to want to tie up and waste bandwidth on something I can't control or
change. If I see something that is wrong and I think ya'll need a heads up,
I will make it short and sweet. The heads up about the Sudden Oak Death was
great. I passed it on to someone who works at UT Agriculture and they
actually hadn't heard about the danger yet and this was a good early alert.

I can't do anything about Monsanto, and if they keep on with what they're
doing, we'll all be bitching soon enough. For now, I have to be outraged and
impotent and unable to do anything because I am just one person. Lets hope
someone on the inside sees the oncoming disaster before it's too late for
all of us. For now, I'm just going to take care of my holler and piece of
the ridge and keep trying to teach Sugar not to dig up mama's flower beds or
rip things that belong to me when I leave her with Rose by herself when I
have to go to work.

thanks for responding.
madgardener

Old 06-04-2004, 08:52 PM
KCnRichmond

You Go Harriet....Thought this whining would stop ages ago....Oh, but she's
NOT whining......... I was offered a job with Lowes as garden associate at
$10.34/hr....HD offered me $15.00 to start 3 yrs ago............I am now
over $17.00, and still an associate and loving it....I see the ones who get
hired at just over 7 or 8 dollars and that group is huddled in the break
room whining about everything just like her.....Maybe no one at work would
listen to her anymore so she expanded her outlook to this NG..........I
dunno.........I have to wonder how much PK she has done with Lowes training?

Old 06-04-2004, 08:52 PM
Ann

"KCnRichmond" expounded:

You Go Harriet....Thought this whining would stop ages ago....Oh, but she's
NOT whining......... I was offered a job with Lowes as garden associate at
$10.34/hr....HD offered me $15.00 to start 3 yrs ago............I am now
over $17.00, and still an associate and loving it....I see the ones who get
hired at just over 7 or 8 dollars and that group is huddled in the break
room whining about everything just like her.....Maybe no one at work would
listen to her anymore so she expanded her outlook to this NG..........I
dunno.........I have to wonder how much PK she has done with Lowes training?

Where do you start at that? Up around here, yes, those are the
prevailing wages at those stores. Down in E. Tennessee, $6.50 and up.
Troll babble.

--
Ann, Gardening in zone 6a
Just south of Boston, MA