Old 06-04-2004, 08:54 PM
MichelleB

Default Roots of Crabapple Trees, Shallow or Deep?

I want to line my driveway with Crabapple trees but don't want the
roots to eventually push up the cement in the driveway. Does anyone
know if Crabapple Tree roots grow deep or shallow?

Thanks,
Michelle
Old 06-04-2004, 08:54 PM
Mike LaMana

I wouldn't expect the crabs to pose the heaving problem say of spruce or
maples. But it is hard to predict, and depends as much on the soil and
physical parameters of the rooting zone as much as on the genetic component
of the species. My guess is that you'll be OK.

Out of curiosity...what was there first, the trees or the driveway? If you
are re-doing pavement around existing crabapples be very careful.

--
Mike LaMana, MS
Heartwood Consulting Services, LLC

om...

Old 06-04-2004, 08:54 PM
Pam - gardengal

"MichelleB" wrote in message
om...
I want to line my driveway with Crabapple trees but don't want the
roots to eventually push up the cement in the driveway. Does anyone
know if Crabapple Tree roots grow deep or shallow?

Thanks,
Michelle

The majority of the root system of ANY tree will be concentrated in the top
24 inches of the ground, but crabapples are not known to have aggressive
root systems nor do they have a reputation for excessive surface rooting
which could damage concrete. You should be fine.

pam - gardengal

Old 06-04-2004, 08:55 PM
MichelleB

I live in Charlotte NC, I'm not sure what southern "zone" that puts me
in?
The soil here is mostly clay and the summers are usually very dry.
The species of crabapples are Eleyi. I was lining them up around the
driveway when a neighbor mentioned the damage her Maple tree had done
to her driveway, which is where my concern comes from. The pavement
is not being redone, the driveway was there first and I'm trying to
decide if planting the crabapples near the driveway would push up the
pavement.

Thanks for your advice!
Michelle