Old 13-04-2004, 12:02 PM
lb

Default tree question.

Hi,

I wonder if anyone can advise me on wether or not a tree that has had
a piece of wire wrapped around its base for some years will continue
to grow properly - or not. Currently the tree has a - commonly found
- while plastic covered loop of wire wrapped around it near the base.
This wire has obviously been there for some years since the tree has
'overflowed' the loop ie. the width of the tree is now greater than
that of the loop - but it is obvious where the loop of wire is
situated as the bark bends in at that point.

I believe the tree is a birch.

My concern is that the loop is restricting the flow of water from the
roots upwards - and although at this time there is no obvious problem
- can/will any symptoms show in the future?

thanks
Old 13-04-2004, 01:02 PM
Mike LaMana

It will negatively effect the tree in some way, tho' probably not kill it
outright. It does malform the internal plumbing of the trees vascular
system - true - in time the tree will completely oergrow it reform these
vascular connections to some degree. In some species this sort of insult
seems less problematic - i.e. London plane, some oaks, some hard pines. In
others such as birch, dogwoods, white pines, maples this can be the start of
a big problem. The issue is that for years the tree is not only hobbled by
poor circulation (especially problematic when the ligature is and the main
trunk near the ground), but that it is also open to infection and
infiltration, it is exuding rich sap to attract saprophytes than can become
pathogens, and it attracts insects that usually are not attracted.

I would remove the wire ASAP even if you have to use a needle-nose snipper
and take it out in pieces.

--
Mike LaMana, MS
Heartwood Consulting Services, LLC

"lb" wrote in message
om...
Hi,

I wonder if anyone can advise me on wither or not a tree that has had

Old 13-04-2004, 06:32 PM
lb

excellant! - you guessed it - it is indeed an old clothes line.

okay, thanks for the advice Mike and Phisherman.

the wire is near the base (1.5m) - i'll attempt to cut it out as
suggested and hope for the best ...especially good to hear that the
tree can recover the damage to some degree - well hopefully

thanks again,

Phisherman wrote in message . ..
On 13 Apr 2004 03:39:24 -0700, (lb) wrote:

Hi,

I wonder if anyone can advise me on wether or not a tree that has had
a piece of wire wrapped around its base for some years will continue
to grow properly - or not. Currently the tree has a - commonly found
- while plastic covered loop of wire wrapped around it near the base.
This wire has obviously been there for some years since the tree has
'overflowed' the loop ie. the width of the tree is now greater than
that of the loop - but it is obvious where the loop of wire is
situated as the bark bends in at that point.

I believe the tree is a birch.

My concern is that the loop is restricting the flow of water from the
roots upwards - and although at this time there is no obvious problem
- can/will any symptoms show in the future?

thanks

The tree have been weakened by the wire. If there is concern of the
tree falling and causing damage, cut it down. Otherwise, wait and
see. This reminds me about how some folks use trees to install
clothes lines.

Old 14-04-2004, 07:02 AM
gregpresley

It all depends. It was not uncommon to see ailanthus trees in New York city,
which had seeded in in the no-man's land between properties, having grown up
literally enveloping a chain link fence upon the way. (So that the chain
link ended up INSIDE the tree). But not all trees would swallow metal so
willingly.....