Old 21-04-2004, 05:04 AM
AlleyCatStudio1

Default Gooseberries and hot weather

Hello all --

I recently ordered two Gooseberry plants ('Invicta' and 'Hinnonmaki Red'
cultivars). I've read that gooseberries "collapse" when the air temperature
exceeds 85 degrees: I live about half a mile from the south shore of Lake
Erie, so the summers aren't like Arizona, but typically there are a few days or
weeks during the summer that exceed the 85-degree mark, and it's usually the
case where we get at least one week that goes into the 90's. So, I intend to
plant them in large containers so they can be temporarily moved indoors if
necessary.

It seems a shame, though, since that means they would probably not reach their
full size, and there's a spot on the north side of the house that would
otherwise be ideal for them. Is there another way to protect gooseberries
from high summer temperatures (e.g. covering them with wet fabric, etc. ?) Or
might these varieties survive a week of 90-ish temperatures anyways?
Old 21-04-2004, 06:02 AM
zxcvbob

AlleyCatStudio1 wrote:

[...]

I'm not sure what you mean by "collapse". I had some Jostaberries for a
few years (they are a gooseberry x black current hybrid) and they grew very
well here in southern Minnesota, where the summers usually get in the 90's.
I finally pulled them out because they weren't very productive, but that
could have been because I couldn't tell how to prune them. They didn't
grow like normal gooseberries or currents, they were more bushlike. The
one year they did produce well the summer was unseasonably cool. That may
have been a coincidence. The plants never wilted, even when the
temperature would occasionally approach 100.

If you live near the Great Lakes, gooseberries should do fine.

Best regards,
Bob
Old 21-04-2004, 07:02 AM
AlleyCatStudio1

Bob wrote:

AlleyCatStudio1 wrote:

[...]

I'm not sure either; but that's what online articles such as this one say:
http://www.crfg.org/pubs/ff/gooseberry.html

Old 21-04-2004, 12:02 PM
Pat Kiewicz

AlleyCatStudio1 said:

Hello all --

I recently ordered two Gooseberry plants ('Invicta' and 'Hinnonmaki Red'
cultivars). I've read that gooseberries "collapse" when the air temperature
exceeds 85 degrees: I live about half a mile from the south shore of Lake
Erie, so the summers aren't like Arizona, but typically there are a few days or
weeks during the summer that exceed the 85-degree mark, and it's usually the
case where we get at least one week that goes into the 90's. So, I intend to
plant them in large containers so they can be temporarily moved indoors if
necessary.

I could not keep gooseberries or black currants going here in Plymouth, even in
partial shade. My soil is way to sandy and dries (and warms) very quickly.
One summer it was just too warm and dry and the next spring they were dead.

The neighbor where I used to live had a nice row of red currants which did
very well. We had heavy soil with a high water table -- they were never
stressed for water, even in the drought of '88. (The water table was high
enough that we had crayfish burrows in the low spots in our back yards!
The currants were planted on a raised-up spot so that they weren't waterlogged.)

(attributed to Don Marti)

Old 21-04-2004, 01:03 PM
J. Del Col

ustible (AlleyCatStudio1) wrote in message ...
Bob wrote:

AlleyCatStudio1 wrote:

Hello all --

I'm not sure what you mean by "collapse".

I'm not sure either; but that's what online articles such as this one say:
http://www.crfg.org/pubs/ff/gooseberry.html

This article is about growing gooseberries in California, a place with
a hotter, drier climate than the Great Lakes. Gooseberries do best in
more humid climates with a distinct prolonged chill period---climates
such as yours.

Quit worrying about what applies in California--you don't live there.

J. Del Col
Old 21-04-2004, 01:04 PM
SugarChile

In the past I grew gooseberries, and we often reach 100F in the summer.
They never seemed to suffer from the heat. They did get some late afternoon
shade. I had good crops for a few years; what finally caused me to yank
them was the gooseberry saw fly, which I grew tired of battling.

Black currants do very well for me, both the Crandall, which is lovely and
smells like cloves in bloom, and the Consort. I had Jostaberries for 10
years, and they grew vigorously, but never bore much fruit.

Good luck and have fun,
Sue

--

Zone 6, South-central PA

Old 21-04-2004, 01:05 PM
KM

"Pat Kiewicz" wrote in message
AlleyCatStudio1 said:

Hello all --

I recently ordered two Gooseberry plants ('Invicta' and

'Hinnonmaki Red'
cultivars). I've read that gooseberries "collapse" when the

air temperature
exceeds 85 degrees: I live about half a mile from the south

shore of Lake
Erie, so the summers aren't like Arizona, but typically there

are a few days or
weeks during the summer that exceed the 85-degree mark, and

it's usually the
case where we get at least one week that goes into the 90's.

So, I intend to
plant them in large containers so they can be temporarily

moved indoors if
necessary.

Don't even think about growing them in containers.
Sure it can be done but you will have to carry so much water to
them that
your life will be miserable! The amount of water a mature bush
requires is
phenomenal, especially at those temperatures.

In any case, it's likely to make the problem worse rather than
better because
roots are even more sensitive to high temperatures than leaves
and shoots.

Put them in the ground - they'll be fine and grow better too.

--
Gerry
www.garden-guide.net

Old 21-04-2004, 06:02 PM
tmtresh

"SugarChile" wrote in message
In the past I grew gooseberries, and we often reach 100F in the summer.
They never seemed to suffer from the heat. They did get some late

afternoon
shade. I had good crops for a few years; what finally caused me to yank
them was the gooseberry saw fly, which I grew tired of battling.

Black currants do very well for me, both the Crandall, which is lovely and
smells like cloves in bloom, and the Consort. I had Jostaberries for 10
years, and they grew vigorously, but never bore much fruit.

Good luck and have fun,
Sue

--

Zone 6, South-central PA

Agreed. Our gooseberry is very productive also with weather sometimes above
100F and mostly in the high 90s all summer. They are also under an overgrown
lilac in full shade. (In the Idaho desert, zone 6) Our neighbor has a very
productive currant in the shade. I'm transplanting some this year to see how
they like full sun :-o My guess is they will probably burn up, but I have
to try, because it's a spot I'd really like to have them grow.

Old 22-04-2004, 04:05 AM
AlleyCatStudio1

Thanks for all the answers, everybody! And if they'll produce in full shade,
that would be super too, as there are other spots along the northern side of
the house which have ideal soil conditions, but are shaded by other bushes and
the house next door.

Now my only other question is how long I have to wait until they'll bear enough
fruit to make a tart!
Old 22-04-2004, 04:09 PM
AlleyCatStudio1

J. Del Col wrote:

(AlleyCatStudio1) wrote in message

Thanks for all the answers, everybody! And if they'll produce in full

shade,
that would be super too, as there are other spots along the northern side

of
the house which have ideal soil conditions, but are shaded by other bushes

and
the house next door.

Now my only other question is how long I have to wait until they'll bear

enough
fruit to make a tart!

The site you referred to answers that question---about two years from

cuttings.

Hmmm, doesn't say how much, though. :-/

[IMG] code is On

Hot hot hot hot! PC Australia 1 10-01-2010 11:38 AM
Jalapenos don't get hot if weather is not hot? Ook Gardening 2 27-08-2007 05:12 AM
Protecting Gooseberries and the environment Zinc Potterman United Kingdom 3 16-09-2005 01:03 PM
pruning gooseberries and wild raspberries [email protected] Gardening 0 21-07-2003 09:03 PM