Old 21-04-2004, 04:02 PM
Rach

Default paint for exterior wood

Hi,
Not sure of anyone might be able to offer me a little advice but here
goes...

What kind of paint (NOT woodstain) can I use in the garden - on fences,
sheds etc?

I am looking for an actual paint as opposed to varnish or stain and
hopefully looking for something Matt or Satin as opposed to gloss.

Thanks for any help

Old 22-04-2004, 12:03 AM
Bobby Baxter

You definately do not want to use a flat or satin finish on a fence or on
trim. They are both porous and stains will penetrate the full thickness of
the paint film and you will be repainting constantly. Use a semi-gloss
finish or gloss.

To make things easiest for you in the long run you should do a coat of oil
base PRIMER that is tinted a shade lighter than your top coat paint. You
can then use a quality paint such as Sherwin-Williams Superpaint latex
(water-based) for your TWO top coats. Don't worry, the latex will stick to
the oil based primer but it will not stick to oil based paint. I highly
recommend going to Sherwin-Williams and telling the store manager what you
intend to do and you will receive some good advice.

If you wish to prime with a latex primer then I highly recommend Zinnser
1-2-3.

Take take any shortcuts. At least 1 primer coate (2 is better) and always 2
top coats. Pressure wash or at least do a bleach wash of the fence prior to
painting.

Bobby Baxter
Happy Moose Gardens
http://happymoosegardens.com

Old 22-04-2004, 04:03 AM
vincent p. norris

What kind of paint (NOT woodstain) can I use in the garden - on fences,
sheds etc?

Did you seriously consider stain? It looks very "natural," unlike
paint, and will not blister and peel the way paint does.

vince norris
Old 22-04-2004, 04:04 AM
Vox Humana

"Bobby Baxter" wrote in message
om...
You definately do not want to use a flat or satin finish on a fence or on
trim. They are both porous and stains will penetrate the full thickness of
the paint film and you will be repainting constantly. Use a semi-gloss
finish or gloss.

If I were choosing a finish for a fence and liked the look of paint, I think
I would go with an opaque stain. I know that the OP said he didn't want to
use stain, but I think it would be a better choice than paint. In any
event, the best place to ask would be in a paint store like Sherwin Williams
(as opposed to the paint department at Wal-Mart).

Old 22-04-2004, 09:02 AM
Rach

Hi everyone. Thanks for your replies you've all been very helpful.
The reason I was looking for a paint and not a woodstain for the shed is
partly because the colour it is now is such a bright red (that was a wood
stain) that a wood stain will not look as it should. I tried putting green
on before and it didn't look slightly green just a nasty kind of browny
colour.

Old 22-04-2004, 01:03 PM
Salty Thumb

vincent p. norris wrote in
:

What kind of paint (NOT woodstain) can I use in the garden - on fences,
sheds etc?

Did you seriously consider stain? It looks very "natural," unlike
paint, and will not blister and peel the way paint does.

vince norris

stain looks nice, but I don't think it does a lot to protect the wood.
you will need to top coat with a sealer at least.
Old 22-04-2004, 02:04 PM
Bobby Baxter

I have been a professional house painter for many years and finally shut
down my painting business last august to pursue designing gardening web site
and producing garden videos full time. My personal prefrence would be to
use a solid color stain to paint a fence. This only requires two coats, and
will normally outlast paint since it penetrates the wood, where paint is
only covers the surface and will peel.

If you have a dark stain on a storage building, then you need to use a
primer/stain hider. If the current stain is oil based then I would prime
with Zinnser BIN (tinted toward the color of the top coat), if the current
stain is latex then I would use the Zinnser 1-2-3. Sometimes these dark
stains do require 2 coats to cover them enough so that when you appley two
top coats you get the color you want without the bleedthrough..Then I would
paint the buidling with Sherwin-Williams Supepaint latex. Paint the siding
with a satin finish and the trim with a gloss or semi-gloss.

A lot of these storage buildings have T111 siding that will suck up paint in
a big way. You will definately save a bunch of money by priming first since
primer is much less expensive than quality top finish paint. The primer will
seal the wood so that the paint goes on easier and not require as much.

Bobby Baxter
Happy Moose Garden
http://happymoosegardens.com

Old 22-04-2004, 04:05 PM

I have had fantastic success with deck porch and cement, latex paint. it is made my
Menards. I tried Behr supposedly high end exterior paint and it peeled in a month.
but the Menards stuff... I even put it on wet treated lumber and the paint is still
perfect. no peeling at all.
just remember that gloss paint sheds dirt. matt paint will hold dirt.

"Rach" wrote:
What kind of paint (NOT woodstain) can I use in the garden - on fences,
sheds etc?

I am looking for an actual paint as opposed to varnish or stain and
hopefully looking for something Matt or Satin as opposed to gloss.

Thanks for any help

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.
Old 22-04-2004, 04:05 PM

I am on the old home list and frankly unless you are blocking stains of some kind
primer is not necessary. it is thinner and generally cheaper is only advantage. it
usually cannot be tinted to the color I want so I skip it.
for blocking stains I havent found anything as good as shellac.
Ingrid

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List

Old 22-04-2004, 04:08 PM
J. Del Col

"Rach" wrote in message ...
Hi everyone. Thanks for your replies you've all been very helpful.
The reason I was looking for a paint and not a woodstain for the shed is
partly because the colour it is now is such a bright red (that was a wood
stain) that a wood stain will not look as it should. I tried putting green
on before and it didn't look slightly green just a nasty kind of browny
colour.

What kind of wood is the shed made of? Some woods should not be
painted--cedar and redwood, for example. Paint will not adhere to
them properly.

Staining is the only alternative.

J. Del Col

Old 22-04-2004, 08:07 PM
Mister Gardener

I was about to start a new thread with my question, but these comments
on paint and stain lead right into . . .
What's the latest info on paints/protectors/preservers that are "safe"
for use around food plants, children's play equipment, etc. My old
raised bed sides of 2x12 spruce have reached the end of their useful
life as they crumble away from the beds. They lasted about ten years,
which was longer than I had expected. I'm replacing all beds with 6x6
cedar, which is a local (to me) wood and is supposed to have good rot
resistant qualities, and is also reasonably priced, 8 footers for 10
bucks each. My initial plan was to use the wood unprotected, but now
I'm wondering what kind of life should I expect and would it be worth
my extra time and expense to add a few coats of something to extend
the life. And the grandchildren, the cats and dogs, and the health
conscious friends want to know "what's in that stuff and is it safe?"

-- Mister Gardener
Maine Coast Zone 4-5
Old 22-04-2004, 11:06 PM
Salty Thumb

wrote in
:

of course cedar can be painted. the entire east coast cape cods are
painted.. mostly white. Ingrid

Some woods should not be
painted--cedar and redwood, for example. Paint will not adhere to
them properly.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.

What I've gathered is you should definitely not paint cedar ... with
latex paint. Oil based is okay. Although I'm not sure if oil based
primer with a latex top coat would be okay or not.
Old 22-04-2004, 11:07 PM
Salty Thumb

wrote in
:

I am on the old home list and frankly unless you are blocking stains
of some kind primer is not necessary. it is thinner and generally
cheaper is only advantage. it usually cannot be tinted to the color I
want so I skip it. for blocking stains I havent found anything as
good as shellac. Ingrid

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.

The other advantage of primer is that is sticky (to paint and surfaces
anyway) ... so you can paint a surface that you might not have otherwise
been able to (by priming the surface and painting the primer).