Old 03-05-2004, 07:02 PM
ted

Default Indoor water plants

Are there any plants that grow indoors in a container of water? (Kinda
like lucky bamboo) I have seen some plants in a glass jar of water.

Thanks.
Old 03-05-2004, 08:02 PM

anything in the cyperus family. papyrus. Ingrid

(ted) wrote:

Are there any plants that grow indoors in a container of water? (Kinda
like lucky bamboo) I have seen some plants in a glass jar of water.

Thanks.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.
Old 04-05-2004, 03:03 AM
SAS567

Are there any plants that grow indoors in a container of water? (Kinda
like lucky bamboo) I have seen some plants in a glass jar of water.

Thanks.

I have Pathos. Devil's Ivy, Spider Plant Babies and even a Diffenbachia
growing in water jars. They are all doing well.
Sue in Mi. (zone 5)
Old 07-05-2004, 06:02 AM
MWhite3660

philodandrens do really good in water. They will get just as big in water only
as they do in planters with dirt. Sweet potatoes also grow a really cool vine
in water.

Old 07-05-2004, 05:03 PM
ted

snip
Sweet potatoes also grow a really cool vine
in water.

You totally lost me on this one. How does one grow sweetpotato in
water? Will they develop sweetpotatos in their roots in water?

I would love to try it. How do I start from a sweetpotato? I'm sorry
to be the total novice here.

Thanks.
Old 08-05-2004, 02:04 AM
SAS567

snip
Sweet potatoes also grow a really cool vine
in water.

You totally lost me on this one. How does one grow sweetpotato in
water? Will they develop sweetpotatos in their roots in water?

I would love to try it. How do I start from a sweetpotato? I'm sorry
to be the total novice here.

Thanks.

I used to have a sweet potato vine many, many years ago. It doesn't produce
sweet potatoes but the vine is beautiful. I remember putting tooth pics in it
and suspending it from a blue mason jar so only part of it was in the water.
Someone told me awhile back that you can't use the store bought sweet potatoes
anymore because of a process that is done to them before they reach the store
and they can't grow anymore. Can't remember what the process was called.
Anyone know if this is true or not?
Sue in Mi. (zone 5)
Old 09-05-2004, 07:02 PM
Bonnie Punch

In article , sas567
@aol.com says...
snip
[...]

You're probably talking about irradiation. I think you'll find that
it's use depends greatly on the area, as some people believe it
harmful, and others believe it safe. It inhibits sprouting, so if your
local sweet potatoes are treated in this way, you're best getting one
from a health food store - it's highly unlikely to have undergone this
process.

I'd say give it a try if anyone wants to grow them - the worst thing
that'll happen is that it won't work :-).

BP