Old 06-05-2004, 06:03 PM
Dusty Davis

Default Identify this "Dr. Seuss" plant, please

http://rademakerdesign.com/dr-seuss/dr-seuss-plant.html

I'd like to find out how to take better care of this odd-growing plant
in my office, but I can't find it in any of my books. Thanks in advance
for your help!

Old 06-05-2004, 06:03 PM
Gloria Lenon

This is a Dracena Marginata, good for low light, keep on dryish side and if
they get too tall, just cut them off where you want to and new leaf buds
will form, then you can put the top part in a plant pot ( of course with
potting soil) and it will grow also! I have so many around my house outside
(Florida) cause everytime I trim them, I put the top into the ground and it
grows!

--
gloria - only the iguanas know for sure

Old 06-05-2004, 09:02 PM
Cereus-validus

Yes indeed, its a very badly grown Dracaena marginata.

There are a number of pachycaul shrubs that better qualify as "Dr. Seuss"
plants because they are supposed to grow that way. The genera Pachypodium
and Adansonia in particular come to mind.

m...

Old 08-05-2004, 07:02 PM
Frogleg

On Thu, 06 May 2004 19:21:22 GMT, "Cereus-validus"
wrote:

Yes indeed, its a very badly grown Dracaena marginata.

I kind of like it the way it is. 'Properly' grown ones look like
regykar ol' houseplants. This one has an interesting sculptural/Seuss
quality that makes it interesting.
Old 08-05-2004, 10:04 PM
Cereus-validus

Look again, Buckwheat.

Dracaena marginata never looks like a "regykar ol' houseplant" with its
narrow red margined leaves and reptilian prominent leaf scars on the stems.
Maybe you have never seen a well grown large specimen.

Old 10-05-2004, 08:09 PM
Dusty Davis

Thanksfor all the responses!

I don't know how the plant got to be that shape, but it's never been
exactly lavished with care. I can't imagine anyone did it on purpose.
I'm now repotting a smaller plant that was grown from cuttings. Great
news about it being a "Money Tree" - I could really use one of those!

-Dusty

Old 12-05-2004, 01:02 PM
Frogleg

"Frogleg" wrote i

wrote:

Yes indeed, its a very badly grown Dracaena marginata.

I kind of like it the way it is. 'Properly' grown ones look like
regykar ol' houseplants. This one has an interesting sculptural/Seuss
quality that makes it interesting.

Look again, Buckwheat.

Dracaena marginata never looks like a "regykar ol' houseplant" with its
narrow red margined leaves and reptilian prominent leaf scars on the stems.
Maybe you have never seen a well grown large specimen.

Nope, not in the flesh. I looked at pictures on the web. Found one
other sculptural one, and several that appeared to be well-treated. I
like the Seuss ones.